Good sci-fi is about the present

Good sci-fi is about the present

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
That’s sad
Depends on the interpretation.

F

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
No, I'm just confirming that if something is true, it is always true.
Are you?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kevin-eleven said
Not necessarily. I had $110, and now I have $16.
I am willing to bet a whole nickel something changed that caused that! Well, maybe not a whole nickel, I’d be willing to go as high as three cents! 😎

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
I am willing to bet a whole nickel something changed that caused that! Well, maybe not a whole nickel, I’d be willing to go as high as three cents! 😎
Well, I did buy some groceries early in the morning, then I bought some beer later in the day. 😉

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@Kevin-Eleven
Naw, that can't be it. 🙂

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@kevin-eleven said
Well, I did buy some groceries early in the morning, then I bought some beer later in the day. 😉
You mixed up the order.

Beer comes first. Groceries later with whatever money you have left.

Moves
12 Feb 22
3 edits

@kellyjay said
@Kevin-Eleven
Naw, that can't be it. 🙂
Mm. Nice to see regular people being hurt by the inflation while economic vampires profit.

Maybe what FMF had in mind was that relevant sci-fi appropriate to this globally pernicious moment should be about the present.

It's more than a century past the time when we might ask "What is to be done?"

We know what needs to be done.
We have the technology, the know-how, the internet, advanced organizational skills, and yet . . .
What is wrong with us?

And I hope nobody gives me "oh, we're so broken" or "Adam jinxed us all" because those craven, crybaby answers do not help in any way. 😉

@kellyjay: Of course I might have completely misunderstood you and went off on my own wild tangent. 😉

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kevin-eleven said
Mm. Nice to see regular people being hurt by the inflation while economic vampires profit.

Maybe what FMF had in mind was that relevant sci-fi appropriate to this globally pernicious moment should be about the present.

It's more than a century past the time when we might ask "What is to be done?"

We know what needs to be done.
We have the technology, the know- ...[text shortened]... ellyjay: Of course I might have completely misunderstood you and went off on my own wild tangent. 😉
I was joking around with you. I think those in charge, not just here in the US but globally, have so screwed up our economies that disaster is coming globally on a somber note.

The only ones that sound like vampires to me at the moment are those in bed with the big pharmaceuticals; they would demonize cheap cures, and those in power would attack them to make more expensive ones the only option. I also believe they would prefer the world walk in fear, so they have more control than not make more money than not. I forget who said this first; they would see the world burn down if they could rule over the ashes.

FMF and I hardly ever agree, we have had some friendly conversations and those that went downhill and stayed there a long time, and I contributed to that turmoil as well. Once you get into a place like this, and some names you start to bump heads with, you find each other's buttons, and we learn how to push them, just like some family members growing up.

Our technology shows us how broken we have always been; human nature hasn't changed. Today our technology reveals our ability to reveal how hateful or loving we can be daily, how kind or nasty, what is in the heart comes out in more ways than just speaking face to face nowadays, and having a nameless faceless platform can bring out the worst in us very easily.