Good sci-fi is about the present

Good sci-fi is about the present

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said
The best sci-fi clarifies our perception of our state of being in the present.
That may be so, but it's still a poor substitute for the real thing.

I can appreciate though good authors that can spin a story and make the unreal seem real. Reading science fiction and fantasy books are a good way to pass the time in the world of the imagination, but I don't have anymore the time to waste on the mirage of imagination as I did in my youth.

Passing the time in pursuit of the truth based in reality is much more rewarding, and pays dividends that have eternal value rather than a temporal gratification that's here today and gone tomorrow.

F

Moves
30 Jan 22
1 edit

@josephw said
That may be so, but it's still a poor substitute for the real thing.
What constitutes "the real thing" is a matter of subjective personal opinion. And sci-fi does not need to be analyzed in terms of being a "substitute" for anything. It stands on its own. It is not pretending to be some genre that it's not.

F

Moves
30 Jan 22

@josephw said
Reading science fiction and fantasy books are a good way to pass the time in the world of the imagination, but I don't have anymore the time to waste on the mirage of imagination as I did in my youth.
Fine. But sci-fi is literature; it can be like a parable or an allegory; the fact that it is imaginative in a different way from a historical drama or a police procedural or a romantic novel is not something that counts against it.

If we replace "reading science fiction", above, with "reading literature", then one could be forgiven for thinking that you are happy to be seen as a wee bit of a philistine.

Do you view all of Shakespeare as a "mirage of imagination"? I hope not.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said
What constitutes "the real thing" is a matter of subjective personal opinion. And sci-fi does not need to be analyzed in terms of being a "substitute" for anything. It stands on its own. It is not pretending to be some genre that it's not.
Jesus isn't pretending to be real either. The fact that he rose from the dead is observed objectively.

Your subjective opinion notwithstanding.

Jesus supersedes everything. Anything else that one uses as a guide for direction is merely a substitute for the real thing, and your opinion in regards to that is only subjective.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said
Fine. But sci-fi is literature; it can be like a parable or an allegory; the fact that it is imaginative in a different way from a historical drama or a police procedural or a romantic novel is not something that counts against it.

If we replace "reading science fiction", above, with "reading literature", then one could be forgiven for thinking that you are happy to be seen a ...[text shortened]... ee bit of a philistine.

Do you view all of Shakespeare as a "mirage of imagination"? I hope not.
You're quoting me out of context.

I have absolutely nothing against literature, and certainly not against Shakespeare.

I'm not surprised you missed my point since you're looking for confirmation of your own perspectives.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Jan 22

@josephw said
Jesus isn't pretending to be real either. The fact that he rose from the dead is observed objectively.
No it isn't.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jan 22

@josephw said

Your subjective opinion notwithstanding.

Jesus supersedes everything. Anything else that one uses as a guide for direction is merely a substitute for the real thing, and your opinion in regards to that is only subjective.
"Jesus isn't pretending to be real either. The fact that he rose from the dead is observed objectively."

Was observed objectively, He appeared to many after He rose, but it was all in the past.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22
1 edit

@josephw said
Sci-fi is not "a substitute" for Christian scripture.

If "Jesus supersedes everything" means your faith permeates your life, fine.

But if "Jesus supersedes everything" means that, for you, there is no topic you can discuss unless you declare that discussing Jesus is more important than discussing that topic, what's the point?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
"Jesus isn't pretending to be real either. The fact that he rose from the dead is observed objectively."

Was observed objectively, He appeared to many after He rose, but it was all in the past.
Good point ~ up to a point!

But, of course, the view that "Jesus having risen from the dead was observed objectively" is a subjective one.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said

But, of course, the view that "Jesus having risen from the dead was observed objectively" is a subjective one.
Not really; if He was and hundreds saw Him after He rose from the dead, it is a historical factual statement. Like all history, we can, as you point out, believe it or not, some people disbelieve in the moon landing; others reject the holocaust, millions the 2020 Presidential election results, and the list can go on and on. Facts don't require belief to be facts.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Not really; if He was and hundreds saw Him after He rose from the dead, it is a historical factual statement.
We have no way of knowing if "hundreds saw Him after He rose from the dead". We have no evidence from those alleged "hundreds" people.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said

Is someone simply putting a thumbs down on all of your posts? If it's the same person, what a childish thing to do that shows how little they are to you. Not that I'm a big fan of much of what you write, but it does have to be content, not personality that warrants a thumbs up or down, in my subjective opinion, of course. 🙂

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
We have no way of knowing if "hundreds saw Him after He rose from the dead". We have no evidence for those alleged "hundreds" of people.
Believe it, or not the NT scriptures were written as historical documents, not just some text to make people believe.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Believe it, or not the NT scriptures were written as historical documents, not just some text to make people believe.
I disagree. I see the Bible as literature.

Is Matthew 27:52–53 a historical fact?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Like all history, we can, as you point out, believe it or not, some people disbelieve in the moon landing; others reject the holocaust, millions the 2020 Presidential election results, and the list can go on and on. Facts don't require belief to be facts.
We did land on the moon. Trump lost the 2020 election. Christians believe Jesus rose from the dead. Three facts, I'd say.