1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 02:183 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, you have simply misrepresented what Twhitehead said. The fact that he has a degree does not mean he is intelligent; it does, however, mean that he should not be cast off as unintelligent. Galveston should be more cautious in what he defines intelligence by.

In all the cases you cited, I am profoundly impressed by their intelligence. I think you do ons because, as it seems to me, your description does not accord with my personal experiences.
    i did not misrepresent what whitehead said, he inferred from his statement that a degree equals intelligence, i have demonstrated that it cannot not. Here are his words 'I have a university degree and you call me unintelligent.' You may of course make as many excuses as you wish, it matters not. Conceptual abilities mean nothing in the context of intelligence. If i take a piece of blue tack, pin it to a wall and claim its conceptual art, does that make me intelligent? If English literacy is not a good test then neither is a mathematical degree, nor a history degree, nor a French degree.

The problem with education is that people are taught things they are uninterested in learning. My goodness our education system is founded upon a Greek model three squillion years old. Teach someone something they are interested in learning and you have halved the battle. Take for example the ordinary young person, forced to learn history of world war one and world war two, political alliances, treaties here and there. Is it any wonder they are bored and resent the time spent? teach them the history of Manchester united football club, the social conditions which led to its formation, the economics involved in running a football team, why they are in financial difficulties at present and they will quite easily and readily grasp the concepts, for they are interested in learning.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 05:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    big deal, you can assimilate knowledge gleaned from others, as the proverb states, 'there is no talent in identifying the thief after he is caught', originality of thought displays an animated mind, a degree is simply a piece of paper which asserts that you can assimilate, remember and reiterate information gleaned from others.
    And your point is? Oh I see. You wish to insult me too.
    I must also point out that memory is a key part of intelligence.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 05:39
    Teach someone something they are interested in learning and you have halved the battle.
    Only if you are battling to teach them something that is of no real value to them. We teach what we think they should know, if they are not interested in learning any of it, then teaching them something else (that they do want to learn) isn't going to help anyone.
    If on the other hand you mean, "find a way to make the subject interesting" then I can't dispute that.
    And by the way, I was interested in learning what I did at University.

As for the origional statement "Of course an intelligent person would see that.", it clearly implies that anyone who doesn't see is unintelligent, and I find that insulting.
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 05:49
    sure thing, the city looks pretty enough, safe journey my friend 🙂
    Portland is great except those stupid bridges 🙂

Manny
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 05:58
    Originally posted by menace71
    Portland is great except those stupid bridges 🙂

Manny
    So what happens in a mass if the priest accidentally drops the Eucharist? Did he in essence drop Christ? Do you see how whacky that sounds? I can see the symbolism and even believe in it but not to the extent that the Catholics do.

Manny
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 06:22
    Originally posted by menace71
    So what happens in a mass if the priest accidentally drops the Eucharist? Did he in essence drop Christ? Do you see how whacky that sounds? I can see the symbolism and even believe in it but not to the extent that the Catholics do.

Manny
    Yes. If the priest drops the Eucharist, he drops Christ because Jesus is really present. This is why traditionally the altar server would hold a paten underneath the chin of the communicant.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 07:18
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The status of the Eucharist is so great that we do not permit it to be carried in anything other than gold.
    This of course highlights other symbolism (Gold). Would platinum be allowed? (its more expensive than Gold).
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And your point is? Oh I see. You wish to insult me too.
    I must also point out that memory is a key part of intelligence.
    give us a break for i am sure we have infinitely better things to do than to pander to your ego, statements like, ' i have a degree therefore i am intelligent', is an insult to anyone's intelligence. Retention has also nothing to do with intelligence, infact, I myself can remember the first twenty or so moves of a number of chess openings, does that make me intelligent? hardly for i have merely learned them by wrote. All infact it means is that i can memorise a sequence of events, nothing more, big deal! If you do not like your assertions to be challenged as to their validity and take it as a personal insult when they are, then you should not make them. Egocentric statements are bound to come under scrutiny in the spirituality forum, where many prize modesty and self-effacing conduct as a virtue.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 09:22
    give us a break for i am sure we have infinitely better things to do than to pander to your ego, statements like, ' i have a degree therefore i am intelligent', is an insult to anyone's intelligence. Retention has also nothing to do with intelligence, infact, I myself can remember the first twenty or so moves of a number of chess openings, does that ...[text shortened]... ny in the spirituality forum, where many prize modesty and self-effacing conduct as a virtue.
    Do you think that people who don't see the effects Satan has on the world are unintelligent?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 11:00
    Retention has also nothing to do with intelligence,...
    Clearly you lack the intelligence to know what the word 'intelligence' means. 🙂
    You see, if you had retained the definition of 'intelligence' you might have known better than to make that claim.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 16:28
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Do you think that people who don't see the effects Satan has on the world are unintelligent?
    no, they simply lack spiritual perception.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 16:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Clearly you lack the intelligence to know what the word 'intelligence' means. 🙂
    You see, if you had retained the definition of 'intelligence' you might have known better than to make that claim.
    clearly you are an egocentric megalomaniac, go eat yourself and enjoy.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 16:36
    no, they simply lack spiritual perception.
    So you would agree with me that Galvo was incorrect in his statement?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 16:512 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So you would agree with me that Galvo was incorrect in his statement?
    they are two different things me thinks, spiritual perception and intelligence. there is no doubt that there are intellectually brilliant persons who have no concept of spirituality, and yet again there are many brilliant persons who do, therefore it appears to me that spiritual comprehension is something quite apart from intelligence. Yes one needs discernment, yes one needs to assimilate certain precepts, yes one needs to evaluate these precepts in relation to ones understanding of the world in which we find ourselves. Yet again there is another aspect to which lends itself to spiritual comprehension, that being, the divine element, for without it, these things make no sense whatsoever, furthermore, the Bible makes the statement that not all are party to the divine element and therefore cannot comprehend the constituent parts so as to see the whole but see it as 'foolish' and 'contemptible'. (please note that this has nothing to do with intelligence, indeed quite the contrary, nor is it elitism) On the surface i dont think that Galvo was stating that you were unintelligent simply because you could not 'see' these things, simply that you perhaps differed in your evaluation of these things.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 17:24
    clearly you are an egocentric megalomaniac, go eat yourself and enjoy.
    I'm just teasing you.
    I do genuinely believe that memory is a key part of intelligence and that the word intelligence is not just about 'original thinking' but includes the whole range of mental ability including memory, the ability to learn, the ability to do various mental tasks and original thinking among others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree