1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 06:25
    "Greater love.... "

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Comments
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 08:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Greater love.... "

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Comments[/b]
    too simplistic. there are many variables that need to be taken into consideration. although the act of self sacrifice is a sign of bravery its not always a sign of love. here is a few examples.

wouldnt most of us on here jump in front of a speeding car to push a baby or toddler out of the way, even if we didnt know the child? doesnt mean we love the child.

if a bomb was going to kill 1 million people, non of which we know. wouldnt we sacrifice our lives to save a million people, even though we dont love them? many would

what about a friend who sacrifices his life, but had little value for it anyway. maybe because of depression or terminal illness.

there are many scenarios and many people who are all motivated for different reasons. its far too simplistic to call it the greatest love. typical of the bible.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 09:53
    [b]"Greater love.... "

Comments[/b]
    Although if you do this, and happen to have been brought up to believe in the God of the Qu'ran, your reward (according to some) for this greatest and most selfless of acts will be to burn for all eternity in hell, along with the rapists, paedophiles, and genocidal mass murderers.
  4. old pueblo
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 22:03
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Although if you do this, and happen to have been brought up to believe in the God of the Qu'ran, your reward (according to some) for this greatest and most selfless of acts will be to burn for all eternity in hell, along with the rapists, paedophiles, and genocidal mass murderers.
    I'm confused, then, about why it's reported that suicide bombers think they're going to heaven for sacrificing their lives to wipe out infidels.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 11:27
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    too simplistic. there are many variables that need to be taken into consideration. although the act of self sacrifice is a sign of bravery its not always a sign of love. here is a few examples.

wouldnt most of us on here jump in front of a speeding car to push a baby or toddler out of the way, even if we didnt know the child? doesnt mean we love the ...[text shortened]... or different reasons. its far too simplistic to call it the greatest love. typical of the bible.
    "... its far too simplistic to call it the greatest love."

... for whom would you lay down yours?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 11:29
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    I'm confused, then, about why it's reported that suicide bombers think they're going to heaven for sacrificing their lives to wipe out infidels.
    It's a colossal scam motivated by hatred.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 11:30
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    ... and some people willingly buy in.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 15:14
    ... and some people willingly buy in.
    I don't know what you mean by this.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 15:28
    13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

So, love is seen by the Bible as the greatest thing of all.

And laying down your life for your friend is not only an example of love, but the absolute greatest example of this greatest of all things.

That must make it pretty much the greatest thing the Bible can conceive of.

But if you happen to be brought up a Muslim, and you demonstrate this greatest example of this greatest of all things, you will burn for all eternity in hell.

And some people think evolution is evil?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 18:03
    [b]"Greater love.... "

Comments[/b]
    The innocent for the guilty.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 18:201 edit

But if you happen to be brought up a Muslim, and you demonstrate this greatest example of this greatest of all things, you will burn for all eternity in hell.

Your 43 word synopsis of the New Testament is not too good.

Is this the brief summary of the Bible that you carry around with you to neatly sum it all up and form your decision about how to relate to Jesus Christ ?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Aug '13 17:211 edit
    A testimony of a former Mormon false prophet Andy Poland. He saved from polygamy and false spiritual feelings to Christ.

YouTube
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Aug '13 19:192 edits
    This was the powerful video of the month for me. But its a long one I had to watch to the end. Especially the testimnies of the many women.

Lifting the Veil on Pologamy. People delivered from Mormonism and finding Jesus.

For any who intend not to watch the whole thing, just watch the last 8 minutes around 1:16:00

YouTube
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '13 20:00
    Originally posted by sonship

Your 43 word synopsis of the New Testament is not too good.

Is this the brief sum ...[text shortened]... nd with you to neatly sum it all up and form your decision about how to relate to Jesus Christ ?
    Do you think a Muslim who lays down his life for his friend goes to hell?
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '13 20:08
    Originally posted by sonship
    A testimony of a former Mormon false prophet Andy Poland. He saved from polygamy and false spiritual feelings to Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBda3vWOBsU
    What does this have to do with the OP?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree