1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 02:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually the ones I have met are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I would just call them misguided. As for the crazy ones, they run our government.
    Skull and Bones dudes.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 03:18
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Skull and Bones dudes.
    Actually, the JW's believe that the political world is "evil" and, therefore, should not participate in it whatsoever. You know, perhaps they are on to something?
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 06:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually, the JW's believe that the political world is "evil" and, therefore, should not participate in it whatsoever. You know, perhaps they are on to something?
    They have so many good teachings going but I am afraid that it is just another man made deal.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 09:31
    They have so many good teachings going but I am afraid that it is just another man made deal.
    why do you say that?
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:102 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why do you say that?
    One of the hot scriptures when I was studying with the JWs was John 1:1. In much JW literature they were always quoting a certain language scholar. I don't remember his name now or all the things that was fishy to me as I have slept a bunch since then. Anyway the New world translation which was hearalded as the ultimate in acurate translations, was deliberately mistranslated to fit the beliefs of the organization. It said something to the effect " In the beggining was the word and the word was with and the word was a god." I don't have a bible on me so you will have to forgive any errors. The part that said "a god" was used over and over again to prove there is not a trinity like in other churches. The JWs kicked that block out from under them by translating it "a god" with the small g to say yes the word is a god, but not God almighty. I had no problem with that until a lady I know showed me that the scholar the JWs constantly quoted and used in their literature to back up their translation in John 1:1, was upset that the Jws kept missquoting him and he had tried to get them to quit. Well they were still missquoting him long after he requested the cease and that little bit of leaven firmented the whole lump for me. I really love the JW people and I miss a bunch of them, but there was more I discovered with the scholars they quote and the deliberate lies the organization pumped out. The Randcam thing and United Nations thing was fairly recent, but I have been out of it for so long now I am sorry to say I don't remember all that turned me off. John 1:1 I remember well as it was a key scripture in the studying. I intend absolutely no disrespect to you in any way, but I just couldn't continue on with them.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:232 edits
    One of the hot scriptures when I was studying with the JWs was John 1:1. In much JW literature they were always quoting a certain language scholar. I don't remember his name now or all the things that was fishy to me as I have slept a bunch since then. Anyway the New world translation which was hearalded as the ultimate in acurate translations, was delibe absolutely no disrespect to you in any way, but I just couldn't continue on with them.
    this is not in fact true, if you do not believe me, then perhaps you will believe the sahidic coptic text, which is the oldest and most complete biblical manuscript that we possess.

i suggest that you read this article and you can make a proper evaluation for yourself, it is not as far as i am aware affiliated with Jehovahs Witnesses, although it does make reference to a watchtower article.

http://copticjohn.blogspot.com/

if you want the full low-down on the whole united nations nonsense, another inaccuracy that has been blown out of total proportion, then i shall provide a facsimile of the actual letter that was sent to the branch offices. the bottom line was that Jehovah witnesses had been for years using the UN as a resource, if you look at the literature you will find many references to the world health organisation, the united nations etc etc, it was the U.N who changed their own policy and made it mandatory to register as a non government organisation.

there is in my experience no other organisation that is able to unite Arab and Israeli, Indian and Pakistani, Tutsi and Hutu, Catholic and Protestant, this is not a work from men my friend, it is something quite exceptional. perhaps you can name one?
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:24
    One of the hot scriptures when I was studying with the JWs was John 1:1. In much JW literature they were always quoting a certain language scholar. I don't remember his name now or all the things that was fishy to me as I have slept a bunch since then. Anyway the New world translation which was hearalded as the ultimate in acurate translations, was delibe ...[text shortened]... absolutely no disrespect to you in any way, but I just couldn't continue on with them.
    Oh yes, talk about old memories coming back, I did bring this up to the guy I was studying with and after months of saying how important the translations of various scripture was in the New World Translation, he basically said that he doesn't waste time worrying about small things like that. That was a good one. I can laugh about it now, but I was disgusted then to say the least.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:271 edit
    Oh yes, talk about old memories coming back, I did bring this up to the guy I was studying with and after months of saying how important the translations of various scripture was in the New World Translation, he basically said that he doesn't waste time worrying about small things like that. That was a good one. I can laugh about it now, but I was disgusted then to say the least.
    you should study with me, i shall make you immortal! Lol πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:29
    this is not in fact true, if you do not believe me, then perhaps you will believe the sahidic coptic text, which is the oldest and most complete biblical manuscript that we possess.

i suggest that you read this article and you can make a proper evaluation for yourself, it is not as far as i am aware affiliated with Jehovahs Witnesses, although it ...[text shortened]... tholic and Protestant, this is not a work from men my friend, it is something quite exceptional.
    If it isn't true then why do they continue to use this scholar in their literature. He is the one saying the JWs are misquoting him. I looked in a lot of the JW literature and sure enough there they were saying something that looked as if he agreed with it.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:31
    you should study with me, i shall make you immortal! Lol πŸ™‚
    I tell you what. I would study with you just to go over to Scottland again. Of course you probably would like to come over here tooπŸ™‚
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:33
    If it isn't true then why do they continue to use this scholar in their literature. He is the one saying the JWs are misquoting him. I looked in a lot of the JW literature and sure enough there they were saying something that looked as if he agreed with it.
    have you read the text in the link that i gave? this is probably the best way for you to make an evaluation for yourself, for what you are referring to is an interpretation from a third party source, so rather than actually looking at the text in question, attention is being focused elsewhere, for it is expedient to quote those who agree with ones belief, is it not?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:35
    I tell you what. I would study with you just to go over to Scottland again. Of course you probably would like to come over here tooπŸ™‚
    my goodness, id swap with you in a minute, you could stay with my mom, who is not a witness and i could stay with your mom, who is, happy days!
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:38
    my goodness, id swap with you in a minute, you could stay with my mom, who is not a witness and i could stay with your mom, who is, happy days!
    Heck yea, when shall we inform the moms of the swap?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 12:42
    Heck yea, when shall we inform the moms of the swap?
    Lol, as soon as my wife gets a British passport (she is still a Pakistani national) and i get some money, infact, any money would be nice!
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 13:00
    Lol, as soon as my wife gets a British passport (she is still a Pakistani national) and i get some money, infact, any money would be nice!
    I have been giving another one of your questions a lot of thought. To answer it would require pages of typing so the best I can do is make a suggestion. Watch the movie The Last Of The Dogmen and compare it to the movie Skins. This will answer a lot of your questions much better than I could. Skins is an accurate view of indian life today as compared to what they once had as shown in The Last Of The Dogmen. They are good movies to boot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree