1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 14:202 edits
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Nonsense, The first Christmas was 2009 years ago and the first Easter was 1976 years ago, what are your dates?
    The knowledge that December 25th was originally a Germanic/Anglo Saxon heathen holiday comes from the English Historian and Christian monk Bede (also known as Saint Bede or the Venerable Bede). His work "The History of the English peoples" was written in the 8th century and includes this paragraph (referring to the local Anglo-Saxon heathens):

"They began the year with December 25, the day some now celebrate as Christmas; and the very night to which we attach special sanctity they designated by the heathen term Modraniht, that is, the mothers' night — a name bestowed, I suspect, on account of the ceremonies they performed while watching this night through."

Here is a Wikipedia article on Bede - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede

But let's not take Saint Bede's word for it Daniel. Your willful ignorance is far more relevant and convincing.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 14:51
    Nonsense, The first Christmas was 2009 years ago and the first Easter was 1976 years ago, what are your dates?
    no, duecer is right.

chritmas and easter are christian, however there are many elements of pagan traditions, such as the christmas tree, the rabbit, etc.

or did you think Jesus was the one who came up with all that?
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:00
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    no, duecer is right.

chritmas and easter are christian, however there are many elements of pagan traditions, such as the christmas tree, the rabbit, etc.

or did you think Jesus was the one who came up with all that?
    The name Easter itself is derived from the Anglo Saxon Eostre (Ostara in German). Eostre was a Teutonic heathen goddess of Spring and fertility.
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:11
    Originally posted by Ullr
    The name Easter itself is derived from the Anglo Saxon Eostre (Ostara in German). Eostre was a Teutonic heathen goddess of Spring and fertility.
    Easter; the most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ and held (in the Western Church) between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox.
    • the period in which this occurs, esp. the weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:12
    Originally posted by galveston75
    What is up with christians celebrating something like Halloween?
    A lot of Churches call it a harvest festival.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:12
    Easter; the most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ and held (in the Western Church) between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox.
    • the period in which this occurs, esp. the weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday.
    i would dispute its importance and say that in my opinion pancake Tuesday is equally as important. 🙂
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i would dispute its importance and say that in my opinion pancake Tuesday is equally as important. 🙂
    That's why you need Faith.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:20
    That's why you need Faith.
    nope, i like pancake Tuesday much better! my father who is a Catholic used to mix up the batter and we would enjoy them pancakes!
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:40
    nope, i like pancake Tuesday much better! my father who is a Catholic used to mix up the batter and we would enjoy them pancakes!
    It doesn't matter what you like, it's what you need for your soul.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 21:12
    It doesn't matter what you like, it's what you need for your soul.
    i need pancakes! mmmmm
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 21:16
    i need pancakes! mmmmm
    Pancakes cant't do anything for your soul.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 22:39
    Pancakes cant't do anything for your soul.
    yes they can, they make me feel happy!

a soul BTW is not something separate from the body, Adam became a living soul after God breathed the breath of life into him, he was not given a soul, animals are also considered to be souls, it simply means a living breathing entity.
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 22:49
    yes they can, they make me feel happy!

a soul BTW is not something separate from the body, Adam became a living soul after God breathed the breath of life into him, he was not given a soul, animals are also considered to be souls, it simply means a living breathing entity.
    ... In the afterlife.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 22:50
    ... In the afterlife.
    no my friend in this life!
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 23:08
    no my friend in this life!
    Soul, after-life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree