1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 07:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So as an atheist, have I back-slidden far enough or must I go further? What must I do to ensure that God will never come after me again?
    "Again"?.......has he already pursued you once before then?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 09:17
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    "Again"?.......has he already pursued you once before then?
    Well I was brought up a Christian but then you will probably pull the old "you were not a 'true Christian'" card.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 10:24
    So as an atheist, have I back-slidden far enough or must I go further? What must I do to ensure that God will never come after me again?
    Rub yourself with garlic and always sleep with your belly up.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 16:56
    Well I was brought up a Christian but then you will probably pull the old "you were not a 'true Christian'" card.
    but then you will probably pull the old "you were not a 'true Christian'" card. ---whitey----

...why ? Were you a true christian?
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:01
    Originally posted by Von Sulla
    As a recovering Christian, I've recently become curious about this passage:

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to t ...[text shortened]...
    Does this mean that even if I return to the Church, I'm still bound for eternal damnation?
    If you truly,TRULY are sorry then the Lord will forgive you and welcome you home!!!
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:09
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    If you truly,TRULY are sorry then the Lord will forgive you and welcome you home!!!
    Then explain the passage he cited.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:12
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Then explain the passage he cited.
    Serigado's reply was accurate!
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:16
    Serigado's reply was accurate!
    The 'don't take everything literally' part? Even though this passage specifically and literally
    address those believers who came to believe and bask in the glory of God's grace and then
    fell away?

If we don't take this passage literally, then why take any passage literally?

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:18
    The 'don't take everything literally' part? Even though this passage specifically and literally
    address those believers who came to believe and bask in the glory of God's grace and then
    fell away?

Nemesio
    Parables...so you would pluck your eye out if it offended you......
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:18
    fell away?

Nemesio
    You have to filter. Some things in the Bible simply must be interpreted. Or else the Bible wouldn't make any sense and it would be really easy to refute it.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 18:36
    Parables...so you would pluck your eye out if it offended you......
    But you take the Ascension literally, right?
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 18:44
    Originally posted by serigado
    You have to filter. Some things in the Bible simply must be interpreted. Or else the Bible wouldn't make any sense and it would be really easy to refute it.
    How likely is it that a huge compilation of writing like the Bible would not contain huge variety from myth to songs to storytelling to literal truth. There's poetry in there as well as history. Blow by blow accounts as well as dreams. The whole range.We need to interpret and use our brains. Does this really surprise you? How strange.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:00
    What you write is very elegant, actually. However, I don't see how it relates to the passage.
    The passage talks about how it is impossible for a backslider to return. Could you elaborate?

Nemesio
    It relates in the sense that the verse has everything to do with assurance of the sufficiency of Christ's work, and yet it so often erroneously (and usually self) applied to wayward believers convinced they have gone too far.

The interpretation often given it is way out beyond left field, in other words. Christ cannot give His life again--- once was enough. No man can go too far afield once they have gained salvation. They brought nothing to the table when salvation was granted; nothing they can do after can impact the same.
  14. Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:55
    Originally posted by Von Sulla
    As a recovering Christian, I've recently become curious about this passage:

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to t ...[text shortened]...
    Does this mean that even if I return to the Church, I'm still bound for eternal damnation?
    The thrust of this verse in Hebrews 6 is that it is impossible to be renewed unto repentance when you continue to sin! Verse six shows that iwhat si impossible in verse 4: to be renewed again unto repentance (a changing of the mind which brings about a change of action [from sin to pleasing God]). Why was it impossible for the Jewish Christians of the first century to be renewed unto repentance? Because they were refusing to repent! They were "crucifying the Son of God afresh." How? The context of the book shows us that these Hebrew Christians were binding the Law of Moses along with the Law of Christ, the New Testament. Of course, we cannot do that; the Law of Moses was nailed to the cross of Jesus (Col. 2:14).

In light of this subject, read I John 1:7-9, "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

If Hebrews 6 meant that if one sins after becoming a Christian, then I John 1:7-9 would mean nothing! I John 1:9 teaches what we refer to as the "second law of pardon." That is, if one sins after becoming a Christian in the watery grave of baptism (I Pet. 3:21; Gal. 3:27; Rom. 6:3-4; Mark 16:16), then he can then repent of that sin, and confess his sin before God, and ask for forgiveness!

What would it mean when Philip told Simon the sorcerer to pray to God after He became a a baptized believer that He may forgive him? (Acts 8). It wouldn't mean anything if Hebrews 6 meant that he could not be forgiven.

So, in closing, this passage refers to a person continuing in sin, and a penitent member of the church. Hope this makes you feel better.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 07:49
    But you take the Ascension literally, right?
    That passage was probably directed to someone or body's at that time...God is so different from the Old and New testaments... Jesus is the door to God...so yes i believe in the Ascension!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree