1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 10:49
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Parables...so you would pluck your eye out if it offended you......
    That was a parable? I thought he was being serious. So what exactly did the parable mean?
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 12:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That was a parable? I thought he was being serious. So what exactly did the parable mean?
    It is better to lose a part of your body than the whole body be condemned to sin.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 03:13
    It is better to lose a part of your body than the whole body be condemned to sin.
    So what would you tell the 98% of the male population who masturbate at least semi-regularly?

Nemesio
  4. lookin' at ya'
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 06:22
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So what would you tell the 98% of the male population who masturbate at least semi-regularly?

Nemesio
    i think you will find that there is no mention of masterbation in the bible.that may be worth some contemplation.😉
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 07:30
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
    Nothing different.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 08:101 edit
    Originally posted by Von Sulla
    As a recovering Christian, I've recently become curious about this passage:

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to t
    Does this mean that even if I return to the Church, I'm still bound for eternal damnation?
    Sorry to say, but you are doomed to burn in the eternal fires of Hell.
    Or you could simply blot out the condemning passage and claim to have gotten a misprinted Bible.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 08:13
    So why call it a parable when it is serious.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 09:40
    So why call it a parable when it is serious.
    to express how serious it is...
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 10:421 edit
    to express how serious it is...
    So by calling it a parable you are expressing the fact that it is very serious?

So, now that we have established that it is not a parable and that it is very very serious, how many eyes do you have left and why haven't you plucked them out, because there is absolutely no doubt that they have at one time or another caused you to sin.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 12:07
    So by calling it a parable you are expressing the fact that it is very serious?

So, now that we have established that it is not a parable and that it is very very serious, how many eyes do you have left and why haven't you plucked them out, because there is absolutely no doubt that they have at one time or another caused you to sin.
    Yes....windows to the soul.... it is a parable which is meant to express how serious the message is.... by the way i think it is our minds that causes us to sin,that and Satan!
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 12:28
    Yes....windows to the soul.... it is a parable which is meant to express how serious the message is.... by the way i think it is our minds that causes us to sin,that and Satan!
    It looks like I am not understanding you at all....

Should we or shouldn't we cut out our eyes?
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 12:54
    It looks like I am not understanding you at all....

Should we or shouldn't we cut out our eyes?
    Of course not..... do you understand what a parable is? a story with an underlining message..... repent or be cast away.... thats what that parable is expressing underneath!!!
  13. Joined
    14 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 13:263 edits
    I can try and explain what this means through an example. A young man recently gets married. He loves playing video games and after a year of marriage, he goes back to playing games through all hours of the day and night. His marriage begins to have problems since he is spending more time playing games then spending time his wife. The couple slowly draws apart and one of them may even be tempted to find another partner. If the young man realized what’s important, the marriage might not have been in trouble. This parable is advice to the young man to get rid of that which is causing grief - In this case, the games. Sure, it may feel like plucking an eye out. Many of us love our games. Is it not best for the young man to get rid of what is causing his wife grief or possibly causing one of them to consider cheating on the other?

I’m not sure this is the best example but I tried.

Edit: Talking about Mathew 5:29 which I believe is being discussed here.
    "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be case into hell."
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 13:391 edit
    Of course not..... do you understand what a parable is? a story with an underlining message..... repent or be cast away.... thats what that parable is expressing underneath!!!
    You're contradicting yourself. Last time you said it meant:
    "It is better to lose a part of your body than the whole body be condemned to sin."
    Which is quite a different thing.

So why shouldn't you cut your eyes out?

First you say it highlights the seriousness of the message, now you seem to be saying that it is not really serious enough to start cutting.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 13:42
    Originally posted by stepnkev
    I can try and explain what this means through an example. A young man recently gets married. He loves playing video games and after a year of marriage, he goes back to playing games through all hours of the day and night. His marriage begins to have problems since he is spending more time playing games then spending time his wife. The couple slowly draws ap ...[text shortened]... that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be case into hell."
    So why not pluck your eyes out?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree