1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    k, I am going to have to spell it out. The present ideology is that ones sexuality is immutable (cannot change), the Bible teaches quite the opposite and states that yes indeed, person who were inclined towards persons of the same sex do and can change. This is the first point of encouragement, for the person wishing to bring her or his life into h ...[text shortened]... ave been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.
    That you typed that post no doubt with a straight face and full of sincerity gets the biggest LOL I can type. Pure comedy gold Rob.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:15
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That you typed that post no doubt with a straight face and full of sincerity gets the biggest LOL I can type. Pure comedy gold Rob.
    if it raised a smile, you know I think its all worth it. 😀
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:18
    The present ideology is that ones sexuality is immutable (cannot change), the Bible teaches quite the opposite and states that yes indeed, person who were inclined towards persons of the same sex do and can change. [...] Others have done it and so can they.
    What empirical evidence have you got on homosexuals changing into heterosexuals?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    What empirical evidence have you got on homosexuals changing into heterosexuals?
    there are many, here is just one by way of example,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/apr/03/weekend.deccaaitkenhead
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:32

How many? I'm looking for quantitative data on homosexuals changing into heterosexuals, not anecdotal evidence.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:37

Here's what the author of that study said in 2012

Spitzer renounced[95][96] and retracted his own study in 2012, stating "I was quite wrong in the conclusions that I made from this study. The study does not provide evidence, really, that gays can change. And that’s quite an admission on my part."[97][98][61][99] He also apologized to the gay community for making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy,[62] calling it his only professional regret.[63] Spitzer has requested that all "ex-gay" therapy organizations such as NARTH, PFOX, American College of Pediatricians, and Focus on the Family stop citing his study as evidence for conversion therapy.[99]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy#Can_Some_Gay_Men_and_Lesbians_Change_Their_Sexual_Orientation.3F
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:441 edit
    Spitzer renounced[95][96] and retracted his own study in 2012, stating "I was quite wrong in the conclusions that I made from this study. The study does not provide evidence, really, that gays can change. And that’s quite an admission on my part."[97][98][61][99] He also apologized to the gay community for making unproven claims of the efficacy of nd Focus on the Family stop citing his study as evidence for conversion therapy.[99]
    Ouch!

The 9 year old Guardian article that robbie offered pretty much shoots the whole superstition-based notion down in flames too.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:47

What do you make of Dr Robert Spitzer's 2012 retraction and apology? He's the guy your Guardian article was about.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:562 edits
    Here's what the author of that study said in 2012

[quote]Spitzer renounced[95][96] and retracted his own study in 2012, stating "I was quite wrong in the conclusions that I made from this study. The study does not provide evidence, really, that gays can change. And that’s quite an admission on my part."[97][98][61][99] He also apologized to the gay co rg/wiki/Conversion_therapy#Can_Some_Gay_Men_and_Lesbians_Change_Their_Sexual_Orientation.3F
    First of all he said it did now he is saying that it doesn't, LOL. Just goes to show, you cannot trust many of the claims that many professionals make.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 00:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you make of Dr Robert Spitzer's 2012 retraction and apology? He's the guy your Guardian article was about.
    this thread is to discuss ways that those who are attracted to persons of the same sex can be helped, its not about Spritzers views.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 01:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many? I'm looking for quantitative data on homosexuals changing into heterosexuals, not anecdotal evidence.
    he provided quantitative data if you read the piece, which, obviously you did not, otherwise you would not be saying that it was anecdotal.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 01:101 edit
    he provided quantitative data if you read the piece, which, obviously you did not, otherwise you would not be saying that it was anecdotal.
    I did read the piece from 2004. It's discredited "research"; it doesn't even qualify as anecdotal evidence, let alone quantitative data. What do you make of the retraction and apology that Dr Robert Spitzer made in 2012 ?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 01:12
    First of all he said it did now he is saying that it doesn't, LOL. Just goes to show, you cannot trust many of the claims that many professionals make.
    So why do you cite "professionals" like Dr Robert Spitzer and Dr John Diggs?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 01:161 edit
    this thread is to discuss ways that those who are attracted to persons of the same sex can be helped, its not about Spritzers views.
    You brought Spitzer into this, not me.

From the 2004 article you cited: "Dr Robert Spitzer, by then a senior professor of psychiatry at Columbia University, wanted to know whether it was possible for homosexuals to change. Could therapy turn gays straight? Late last year, Spitzer's study was published. And his answer was: yes."

From the article Proper Knob cited: "Spitzer renounced and retracted his own study in 2012, stating "I was quite wrong in the conclusions that I made from this study. The study does not provide evidence, really, that gays can change. And that’s quite an admission on my part."

This is completely on-topic, surely?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 01:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    I did read the piece from 2004. It's discredited "research"; it doesn't even qualify as anecdotal evidence, let alone quantitative data. What do you make of the retraction and apology that Dr Robert Spitzer made in 2012 ?
    nothing, its irrelevant, i dont engage in irrelevancies, again the title of the thread is , help for homosexuals. I as unaware that it had been discredited.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree