1. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 20:54
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Is that how you manage to remain a hypocrite who advocates the Jehovah's Witnesses who have discriminatory positions toward women and homosexuals?
    lol, water thinkofone, be water!
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lol, water thinkofone, be water!
    Seeing as you've provided no defense for yourself or for the JWs, we can only assume you have none.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:191 edit
    Seeing as you've provided no defense for yourself or for the JWs, we can only assume you have none.
    (Matthew 5:9) . . .“Happy are the peaceable, since they will be called ‘sons of God.’

water simply yields to those that throw stones at it, or that would thrash it with a stick.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:29
    (Matthew 5:9) . . .“Happy are the peaceable, since they will be called ‘sons of God.’

water simply yields to those that throw stones at it, or that would thrash it with a stick.
    Matthew 15
    7“You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:

8‘THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
    BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.

9‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
    TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.’”
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:35
    Matthew 15
    7“You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:

8‘THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
    BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.

9‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
    TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.’”
    (Revelation 12:10-12) . . .“Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God! And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, and they did not love their souls even in the face of death.  On this account be glad, you heavens and you who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.”
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 22:10
    (Revelation 12:10-12) . . .“Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, [b]because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God! And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, a ...[text shortened]... e Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.”[/b]
    And whenever you finish dancing around it the following will still be true:
    Actually this thread is about "Hinduism Resources". You're the one who deviated from the topic of this thread with your attack on the OP and Hinduism. An attack that is not only hypocritical given the JWs stance toward women, but which does not seem to apply to Hinduism proper as I showed in an earlier post.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 22:47
    Just to butt in:
    Think of One, I have a new respect for you since the days of when you called me "immature" for calling you a "wuss(?)" .actually I forgot what I called you,it will come to me, but that is not the point. I remember not being able to make head or tail between you and knightmiester. At this point you seem to have definately convinced me of your position/views/debating tactics,etc. better than KM.

This is of course has no bearing on you Robbie. I'm liking these bhuddist flavoured, water-orietated analogies you've been coming up with. I guess you realize you can be a bhuddist AND celebrate Xmas. (I realize you dont celebrate xmas)😉

Carry on guys...🙂
  8. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:15
    re Hinduism and the caste system..

that is some bizarre cultural thing and really has nothing to do with Hinduism. Mahatma Gandhi wrote specifically on the subject, if interested...

Here in America, plenty of people claim wacko stuff in the name of religion. The KKK calls themselves Christians. So did the Nazis in Germany.

You can't judge a path by the bizarre claims of any and every wacko.

Gandhi also wrote about another bizarre claim...which is that Hinduism is polytheistic - which it is not.

A lot of the negative "press" that Hinduism has gotten has been political...specifically by the British when they were controlling India, and the lies and propaganda they spread in order to make Indians look like inferiors, so that they were more easily abused.

If you read what the British said about the Irish, during the era of the potato famine, it reads like what Southern (US) slave owners wrote about their slaves.

Anyone can take potshots at anything, but that hardly describes the real nature of something.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:421 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well the religion in question, (or is it a denomination?) has lasted quite a while. I am sure they do respect the current life, but not above and beyond their beliefs.
    You are arguing that allowing someone to die is inherently wrong. I am afraid you have to explain why you believe that is, or you don't have an argument. Then you must explain why your rationalization must also apply to the JWs too.
    Suicide cults doesn't care of the present life. And they tend to die out rather quickly. Take the Peoples Temple and Jim Jones as an example.

"James Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) was the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple, which is best known for the November 18, 1978 death of more than 900 Temple members in Jonestown, Guyana along with the deaths of nine other people at a nearby airstrip and in Georgetown, Guyana."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Who is talking about JW?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 05:43
    Ok, I'm coming out of the closet. I like Hinduism. There. I've said it. For all its flaws and many flavours I like the practical lifestyles of hindus and their values.

Although I will never become one. Ah the paradoxes!!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 08:352 edits
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    re Hinduism and the caste system..

that is some bizarre cultural thing and really has nothing to do with Hinduism. Mahatma Gandhi wrote specifically on the subject, if interested...

Here in America, plenty of people claim wacko stuff in the name of religion. The KKK calls themselves Christians. So did the Nazis in Germany.

You can't judge a pat Anyone can take potshots at anything, but that hardly describes the real nature of something.
    its is neither bizarre nor a cultural phenomena. Have you not seen the pictures in national geographic of sudras having acid poured on their faces and being disfigured because they drew water from a village well, the act of which was deemed to pollute it. Bizarre, a phenomena, i dont think so, not by those who have to live it. what is more it can be directly traced to both religious and social historical factors, distinction being made on both religious grounds and the colour of ones skin.

The religious theories explain how the four Varnas were founded, but they do not explain how the Jats in each Varna or the untouchables were founded. According the Rig Veda, the ancient Hindu book, the primal man - Purush - destroyed himself to create a human society. The different Varnas were created from different parts of his body. The Brahmans were created from his head; the Kshatrias from his hands; the Vaishias from his thighs and the Sudras from his feet.

- http://adaniel.tripod.com/origin.htm

social religious distinction made on the grounds of skin colour,

The social historical theory explains the creation of the Varnas, Jats and of the untouchables. According to this theory, the caste system began with the arrival of the Aryans in India. The Aryans arrived in India around 1500 BC. The fair skinned Aryans arrived in India from south Europe and north Asia. Before the Aryans there were other communities in India of other origins. Among them Negrito, Mongoloid, Austroloid and Dravidian. The Negrito have physical features similar to people of Africa. The Mongoloid have Chinese features. The Austroloids have features similar the aboriginals of Australia. The Dravidians originate from the Mediterranean and they were the largest community in India. When the Aryans arrived in India their main contact was with the Dravidians and the Austroloids. The Aryans disregarded the local cultures. They began conquering and taking control over regions in north India and at the same time pushed the local people southwards or towards the jungles and mountains in north India.

The Aryans organized among themselves in three groups. The first group was of the warriors and they were called Rajayana, later they changed their name Rajayana to Kshatria. The second group was of the priests and they were called Brahmans. These two groups struggled politically for leadership among the Aryans. In this struggle the Brahmans got to be the leaders of the Aryan society. The third group was of the farmers and craftsmen and they were called Vaisia. The Aryans who conquered and took control over parts of north India subdued the locals and made them their servants. In this process the Vaisias who were the farmers and the craftsmen became the landlords and the businessmen of the society and the locals became the peasants and the craftsmen of the society.

In order to secure their status the Aryans resolved some social and religious rules which, allowed only them to be the priests, warriors and the businessmen of the society.

- http://adaniel.tripod.com/origin.htm

this of course is not merely taking potshots, for if a religious system is used to perpetuate a rigid stratification of society from which a person may never free himself no matter what personal effort he puts forth, is it not proper to seriously question its values? i think so.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Suicide cults doesn't care of the present life. And they tend to die out rather quickly. Take the Peoples Temple and Jim Jones as an example.
    An example doesn't prove a rule. You haven't even proved the example. Just because some cult promotes suicide doesn't mean they don't care about this life. It just means they care about something else more.
    And just because a cult dies out pretty quickly .... What was the point again?

Who is talking about JW?
    I thought you were. If not would you care to clarify?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:211 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Just to butt in:
    Think of One, I have a new respect for you since the days of when you called me "immature" for calling you a "wuss(?)" .actually I forgot what I called you,it will come to me, but that is not the point. I remember not being able to make head or tail between you and knightmiester. At this point you seem to have definately convinced me o a bhuddist AND celebrate Xmas. (I realize you dont celebrate xmas)😉

Carry on guys...🙂
    actually this is not only a Buddhist concept it is emphasised, time and again in the Bible. The Buddhist have a very simple and direct way of expressing these things, in illustrations, taken from every day life, which i also like 🙂

(Romans 12:19) . . .Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath. . .

(1 Peter 2:23) . . .When he was being reviled, he did not go reviling in return. When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to the one who judges righteously.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:362 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    An example doesn't prove a rule. You haven't even proved the example. Just because some cult promotes suicide doesn't mean they don't care about this life. It just means they care about something else more.
    And just because a cult dies out pretty quickly .... What was the point again?

[b]Who is talking about JW?

I thought you were. If not would you care to clarify?[/b]
    Ah, you want more examples of suicide cults?

Here are a few:
    "From 1994 to 1997, the Order of the Solar Temple's members began a series of mass suicides, which led to roughly 74 deaths."
    "On March 26, 1997, 39 followers of Heaven's Gate died in a mass suicide in Rancho Santa Fe, California, which borders San Diego to the north. These people believed, according to the teachings of their cult, that through their suicides they were "exiting their human vessels" so that their souls could go on a journey aboard a spaceship they believed to be following comet Hale-Bopp."

And now it's your turn to show one suicide cult that cares about the present life more than the after-life.

Again: I haven't mentionned JW in this thread. Do you think JW is a suicide cult?
    You would you like me to clarify why you thought I talked about JW? I don't know why. Perhaps that the thread is not about JW.
    You really want me to think about JW?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Ah, you want more examples of suicide cults?
    No. As I said, examples don't prove a rule.

And now it's your turn to show one suicide cult that cares about the present life more than the after-life.
    Did I make any such claim?

Again: I haven't mentionned JW in this thread. Do you think JW is a suicide cult?
    You would you like me to clarify why you thought I talked about JW? I don't know why. Perhaps that the thread is not about JW.
    You really want me to think about JW?

I just want to know what your first comment in this thread is in reference to. It sure doesn't seem to have anything to do with suicide cults.
    In case you forgot, you said:
    Denying people blood transfusions, and rather let them die, because of a religious principle...?
    And you directed it at Robbie who is I believe a JW (not a suicide cultist).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree