1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No. As I said, examples don't prove a rule.

[b]And now it's your turn to show one suicide cult that cares about the present life more than the after-life.

Did I make any such claim?

Again: I haven't mentionned JW in this thread. Do you think JW is a suicide cult?
    You would you like me to clarify why you thought I talked about JW? I don't kn ...[text shortened]... ciple...?

And you directed it at Robbie who is I believe a JW (not a suicide cultist).[/b]
    look guys this thread is about Hinduism, there was an attempted hijack by thinkofone, the opening poster tried to bring it back on tract, I have tried to bring it back on track, it has nothing to do with Jehovahs Witnesses, it about Hinduism.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 10:33
    No. As I said, examples don't prove a rule.

[b]And now it's your turn to show one suicide cult that cares about the present life more than the after-life.

Did I make any such claim?

Again: I haven't mentionned JW in this thread. Do you think JW is a suicide cult?
    You would you like me to clarify why you thought I talked about JW? I don't kn ...[text shortened]... ciple...?

And you directed it at Robbie who is I believe a JW (not a suicide cultist).[/b]
    So let it reamin an open question. If suicide cults care about the living members of that cult or not. We cannot ask the members themselves - afterwards...

Yes, I remember I replied to robbies notion that hinduism had cast system and that was unethical. That cast system isn't religious (as far I know), even if it is used by the same people living in the same geographical area. I compared this with another unethical principle of the JW cult, that however really is a part of their belif system.

The JW cult is not suicidal, but that I have never implied.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 10:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    look guys this thread is about Hinduism, there was an attempted hijack by thinkofone, the opening poster tried to bring it back on tract, I have tried to bring it back on track, it has nothing to do with Jehovahs Witnesses, it about Hinduism.
    Right. On that we agree.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 10:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Right. On that we agree.
    i started my own thread, you hijackers can do what you want!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 13:02
    So let it reamin an open question. If suicide cults care about the living members of that cult or not. We cannot ask the members themselves - afterwards...
    And there is no reason to think that they do not care about the living. At least you haven't presented any evidence to the contrary.

Yes, I remember I replied to robbies notion that hinduism had cast system and that was unethical. That cast system isn't religious (as far I know), even if it is used by the same people living in the same geographical area. I compared this with another unethical principle of the JW cult, that however really is a part of their belif system.

The JW cult is not suicidal, but that I have never implied.

So it was you that brought up the JWs and it was you that brought up suicide cults, and you are yet to give any evidence (or valid reasoning) whatsoever that either is unethical given that both believe in life after death.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 13:061 edit
    And there is no reason to think that they do not care about the living. At least you haven't presented any evidence to the contrary.

Yes, I remember I replied to robbies notion that hinduism had cast system and that was unethical. That cast system isn't religious (as far I know), even if it is used by the same people living in the same geographical id reasoning) whatsoever that either is unethical given that both believe in life after death.
    Tell me what you want to discuss and we take it from there. Let's begin from scratch.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 13:48
    Tell me what you want to discuss and we take it from there. Let's begin from scratch.
    You essentially made or strongly implied several assertions in your first two posts in this thread:
    1. That refusing to give a blood transfusion was unjust even in light of religious beliefs.
    2. That refusing to give a blood transfusion was sign of a lack of respect for life.
    3. That religions that lack a respect for life don't last very long.
    Do you hold these views or not?

Do you agree with my assertions that:
    a. If you believe in life after death, causing or allowing death is not necessarily always wrong, or not necessarily the most immoral possible action.
    b. That in light of 1. if you have a religious belief regarding blood transfusion it may conceivably be more important than saving a life.
    c. That b. does not translate into a lack of respect for life.
    d. That suicide cults do not necessarily have a lack of respect for life.
    e. That you have not shown that cults that do not respect life do not last very long.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 23:102 edits
    "two thousand suicides a year in australia. this figure may be an underestimation because of the way they are reported"-ZZZ radio station in Brisbane.
    What is going on out there? How many of those two thousand would be suiciding because of a cult?
    edit:this figure sounds too high. I just haven't got time to look it up but they're on the net(zzz.org or something)
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 04:571 edit
    You essentially made or strongly implied several assertions in your first two posts in this thread:
    1. That refusing to give a blood transfusion was unjust even in light of religious beliefs.
    2. That refusing to give a blood transfusion was sign of a lack of respect for life.
    3. That religions that lack a respect for life don't last very long.
    Do you ...[text shortened]... or life.
    e. That you have not shown that cults that do not respect life do not last very long.
    (1) Many unjust actions are done in the name of religion. This is one.
    (2) To hinder to spare life is concidered wrong in most societies.
    (3) People forced to commit suicide last only until they are dead. To force someone to commit suicide is lack of respect for their life. Suicidal cults tends to be small.

(a) If you start the question with "If you believe in life after death" and I don't, the rest of the question is unanswerable.
    (b) Unanswerable, see (a)
    (c) Unanswerable, see (b)
    (d) Suicide cults have a lack of respect of the present life.
    (e) If you say that I am wrong in this, then give me a counterexample.

If this were your questions, then we are all done, aren't we?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 06:17
    (a) If you start the question with "If you believe in life after death" and I don't, the rest of the question is unanswerable.
    Well if you refuse to see it from a Theists point of view, there is no point discussing it at all. I know you don't believe in life after death, but by refusing to accept that theists do, you totally misunderstand them.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 07:33
    Well if you refuse to see it from a Theists point of view, there is no point discussing it at all. I know you don't believe in life after death, but by refusing to accept that theists do, you totally misunderstand them.
    You asked about my personal opinion, didn't you? Others can have theirs. I don't mind.
    We know the correct answer the first instant after our death, not before.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 07:46
    You asked about my personal opinion, didn't you? Others can have theirs. I don't mind.
    We know the correct answer the first instant after our death, not before.
    If you are that unsure, you should not be criticizing others opinions. I on the other hand do not think I have to directly experience something in order to know about it. Otherwise I might as well say the far side of the moon does not exist.
    Because you believe life ends at death, you put loss of life at the top of your 'immorality table'. You don't seem to recognize that someone who does believe in life after death may have higher priorities.
    You are wasting your time telling them they are wrong, (to refuse blood transfusions for example) unless you can convince them that there is no life after death - and that is what you must do first, or you have no argument.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 08:17
    If you are that unsure, you should not be criticizing others opinions. I on the other hand do not think I have to directly experience something in order to know about it. Otherwise I might as well say the far side of the moon does not exist.
    Because you believe life ends at death, you put loss of life at the top of your 'immorality table'. You don't seem ...[text shortened]... t there is no life after death - and that is what you must do first, or you have no argument.
    If we don't have respect for life, then why we bother to persecute them who takes others life? Murderers maybe just sends their victims to a better world? We don't know, we cannot know.

Until we know, we have to think that the present life is worth the highest respect.

Even christian people believe this in general. One of the commandements say that. Suicide is condemmed by the church. So is abortion by some churches. And the general opinion don't think euthanasía and is acceptable. So we all do agree that the the respect for life is top priority. But, as I've shown, some doesn't think so.

I have my opinion. You have yours. I respect life. Don't you?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 08:45
    Even christian people believe this in general.
    No they do not. That was my point.

So we all do agree that the the respect for life is top priority. But, as I've shown, some doesn't think so.
    In other words, you are contradicting yourself. Either we all agree or we don't. You cant have it both ways.

Yes I respect life. But that is not the issue at all. The issue is whether or not someone who believes in life after death should be expected to respect life above all else.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 09:16
    No they do not. That was my point.

[b]So we all do agree that the the respect for life is top priority. But, as I've shown, some doesn't think so.

In other words, you are contradicting yourself. Either we all agree or we don't. You cant have it both ways.

Yes I respect life. ...[text shortened]... someone who believes in life after death should be expected to respect life above all else.[/b]
    Okay, we agree: The respect for life is important.

The majority of the christians prefer to stay alive as long as they can, and expect others to have the same preference. A few don't but that is a very small minority. This is how I think christians think in general. And on this we don't agree.

If this is not your issue, what is your issue? What *is* your opinion in this matter?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree