1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 09:29
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Sorry but assuming that absolutes do exist is not the same as assuming that absolutes don't exist.
    You're floundering! Where do you swim to, where do you swim to?

Panic! Panic!
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 09:331 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You're floundering! Where do you swim to, where do you swim to?

Panic! Panic!
    Actually without any absolutes you are the one who is floundering in an ocean of relativism. You must be wondering is that shark swimming to me or am I swimming to that shark.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 09:37
    Actually without any absolutes you are the one who is floundering in an ocean of relativism. You must be wondering is that shark swimming to me or am I swimming to that shark.
    Assumptions! Assumptions!

Good God all I have is assumptions!
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 09:41
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Assumptions! Assumptions!

Good God all I have is assumptions!
    At least I feel my reality matches up with my assumptions. 🙂
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 10:49
    At least I feel my reality matches up with my assumptions. 🙂
    I guess you have some consolation then.
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 22:12
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I have recently viewed photos of Jewish men, women and children killed in concentration camps.

Exterminated and starved.

Where was God?
    God was there, in Germany.

We can look at all the terrible and plainly disgusting ways in witch mankind treats itself. And we can complain that God doesn't act as we think He should.

But He is still here
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 22:18
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    God was there, in Germany.

We can look at all the terrible and plainly disgusting ways in witch mankind treats itself. And we can complain that God doesn't act as we think He should.

But He is still here
    Have you been on a course in bland platitudes?
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 22:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Have you been on a course in bland platitudes?
    would you mind explaining what you mean by bland platitudes
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 23:49
    would you mind explaining what you mean by bland platitudes
    Yes, I would mind.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 02:59
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Are you denying him his voice?

Why?
    One note? I want to hear the orchestra.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 03:05
    God was there, in Germany....
    No, sir. There were only people there. Unless, well, shame on your creator gods, they love when we suffer?
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 17:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    No, sir. There were only people there. Unless, well, shame on your creator gods, they love when we suffer?
    Gold is purified in a furnace. From a perspective devoid of God suffering makes no sense at all. With God you find meaning in suffering.

“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

C.S. Lewis
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 22:19
    Not surprised that FMJ refuses to even acknowledge the following - no less address it. It leads to the flaw in the foundation of his position.

Societies may impose their conceptions of God on the people within those societies but if two different societies had different conceptions of God how would you ascertain which society had the correct conception of God?

There are tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity having different conceptions of God that are based on the Bible. Some are vastly different. How do you know yours is correct? Do you have an objective standard for the conception of God?

Without an objective standard for the conception of God, he has no "objective" basis for morality.

For example, many Christians believe the Bible indicates that one should be against capital punishment, yet many other Christians believe the exact opposite.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 02:06
    Gold is purified in a furnace. From a perspective devoid of God suffering makes no sense at all. With God you find meaning in suffer
    Without gods, we find meaning in minimizing suffering. Lord knows we can't count on your God for that. Human effort is what makes things better.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 04:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Not surprised that FMJ refuses to even acknowledge the following - no less address it. It leads to the flaw in the foundation of his position.

[quote]Societies may impose their conceptions of God on the people within those societies but if two different societies had different conceptions of God how would you ascertain which society had the correct con ...[text shortened]... one should be against capital punishment, yet many other Christians believe the exact opposite.
    Not surprised that Think of One, has not thought of one answer to any of my questions. Once he answers the question "Is the holocaust objectively wrong?" he will realise that he has to assume that an objective standard for right and wrong exists. Then he will realise that he will also have to defend the objective standard that he posits. Once he has done this I shall continue to answer his questions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree