1. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 12:58
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I don't know why "so many" Christians jump through hoops. Maybe they don't really jump through hoops -- maybe they just posit hypotheses. If these hypotheses are shown to have some apparent problems they do what any rational person would do and withdraw it to see whether it can be improved or should be ditched altogether.
    Forgive the recourse to inductive reasoning here, but I think this forum furnishes ample evidence to suggest that the prevailing tendency among Christians is not in fact to withdraw their statements about God when such statements are shown to be problematic.

It's much more common to see people try to do a few logical backflips, or to resort to an ad hominem attack, or both.

People get mad when you try to make them think differently about something they love: that is, to think about that something in a way that they suspect will be unpleasant.

Of course, the same principle obtains on the agnostic side of the aisle.
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:041 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That is because you were believing in the wrong God.

GOD say in Quran:

2:155: And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger , and loss of wealth and lives and crops ; but give glad tidings to the steadfast ,

2:156: Who say , when a misfortune striketh them : Lo! we are Allah s and Lo! unto Him we are returning .

2:157: Such are they on whom are blessings from their Lord , and mercy . Such are the rightly guided .

So if you believe in the real GOD you will know that he was trying you, and you simply failed. You expect your GOD to give you everything, while you pretend to believe in him.

Not believing in GOD will not solve your problem. There are many verses in Quran describe your state and what happens to you, if you like I get them to you. You must know that GOD created you to worship him, to follow his way, and to accept your destiny.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic of the thread, I believe in GOD because I know him, when ever I read his words, I got more knowladge about him.

Where is the words of GOD,? It is in Quran, and some of his words remain in the Bible (my be 10% or less of the Bible).
  3. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:231 edit
    Originally posted by ahosyney

GOD say in Quran:
    [b]
    2:155: And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger , and loss of wealth and lives and crops ; but give glad tidings to the steadfast ,

2:156: Who say , when a misfortune striketh them : Lo! we are Allah s and Lo! unto Him we are returning .

2:157: Such ...[text shortened]... It is in Quran, and some of his words remain in the Bible (my be 10% or less of the Bible).
    [/b]
    At the very last second I realized that this was not in fact Hand of Hecate out for another goof.

Whew! That was a close one.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:26
    How do I know God is a loving God? Both based on the evidence and His word.
    But a moment ago you were happy with the "Only God knows" defense which clearly implies that the evidence is not there and is possibly contradictory.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:311 edit
    How do I know God is telling the truth? That's actually easier to answer -- it's possible (though not uncomplicated -- St. Thomas Aquinas takes about half a volume to get there) to argue from first principles to the existence of a God who is truthful.
    I suppose its possible to argue to the existence of anything, but is it a convincing argument? If so, then why are you the only person I have ever met who quotes Thomas Aquinas? Why is such an argument not better known?
  6. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But a moment ago you were happy with the "Only God knows" defense which clearly implies that the evidence is not there and is possibly contradictory.
    Operative word being "possibly".

My suffering is consistent both with a loving God and a non-loving God, or no God at all. I need not know exactly how and why my suffering is necessary to know that it's perfectly possible it is necessary (perhaps just as I do not need to know why a leaf is green to know that it is green).

So the suffering issue does not decide one way or another for me -- and I look to other evidence.
  7. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:43
    I suppose its possible to argue to the existence of anything, but is it a convincing argument? If so, then why are you the only person I have ever met who quotes Thomas Aquinas? Why is such an argument not better known?
    Maybe because a lot of people prefer Thursday to Wednesday simply because it's Thursday.

Actually, there is quite a significant revival of interest in Aquinas and has been for some time. Christian philosophers (even the non-Catholic ones) build on his work all the time.

Which argument are you talking about? The argument to God's truthfulness?
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:06
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    At the very last second I realized that this was not in fact Hand of Hecate out for another goof.

Whew! That was a close one.
    I really tried hard to understand what you mean, could you rewrite it again. Sorry for that.
  9. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:11
    Originally posted by ahosyney

GOD say in Quran:
    [b]

2:157: Such ...[text shortened]... OD,? It is in Quran, and some of his words remain in the Bible (my be 10% or less of the Bible).
    I belive in the Bible everything it has ever said has and will come true 🙂
  10. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:13
    Maybe because a lot of people prefer Thursday to Wednesday simply because it's Thursday.

Actually, there is quite a significant revival of interest in Aquinas and has been for some time. Christian philosophers (even the non-Catholic ones) build on his work all the time.

Which argument are you talking about? The argument to God's truthfulness?
    I dont really get what you are saying either
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:23
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    I belive in the Bible everything it has ever said has and will come true 🙂
    But which Bible! Now that is the real difficulty! ahosney was implying that what you read is on 10% of the 'true' Bible.
  12. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 19:42
    But which Bible! Now that is the real difficulty! ahosney was implying that what you read is on 10% of the 'true' Bible.
    no the whole Bible is true
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:32
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    no the whole Bible is true
    I repeat. Which Bible?
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:51
    I repeat. Which Bible?
    you know, that one with the words?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 10:12
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    you know, that one with the words?
    They all have words but they cant all be right. My version says that EcstremeVenom and LivingForJesus are severely lacking in intelligence. Do you believe that bit is true?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree