1. London
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 21:20
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Mutations usually harm the species, not improve it.
    As I understand it, a mutation is simply a sudden change in the genetic pattern that is not inherited but caused by external factors. Mutations can certainly be beneficial for the continued survival of the species if the change it causes better adapts the species to its environment.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 03:36
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    As I understand it, a mutation is simply a sudden change in the genetic pattern that is not inherited but caused by external factors. Mutations can certainly be beneficial for the continued survival of the species if the change it causes better adapts the species to its environment.
    Big if, wrongly applied.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 03:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Chickens can swim underwater?
    Surely you've heard of Chicken-of-the-Sea?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 03:47
    You say it yourself. "Usually". Not always. In same cases it makes the species better in some way. This is called evolution. You describe one detail of evolution very well. Have you became a evolutionist all of a sudden?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 04:30
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You say it yourself. "Usually". Not always. In same cases it makes the species better in some way. This is called evolution. You describe one detail of evolution very well. Have you became a evolutionist all of a sudden?
    "All of a sudden?" Ought'n there be some transitional phase?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 04:433 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    "All of a sudden?" Ought'n there be some transitional phase?
    JW are not a species. Therefore they don't follow biologcial laws. Homo fundamentalistis? No, I don't think so. Probably some kind of homo however...
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 11:44
    Consider, for a moment, the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 12:211 edit
    This is incorrect. The vast majority of mutations in an organism have no consequence as the majority of DNA does not encode protein in humans at least (a large portion of human DNA appears to be viral in origin but I wouldn't trouble you with the details). The result of a random mutation therefore in the human genome is that it does not exert a change in structure or function of a protein and is thus considered a "neutral" event. A mutation in a coding region of a gene or in nearby elements influencing its expression would potentially lead to selection by changing fitness and this could indeed be advantageous or not to the organism and then would potentially be subject to selection and the corresponding alteration of gene frequencies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_theory_of_molecular_evolution
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Can you explain why you believe that?
    How many fossils do you believe should exist and why? Do you know what the rates of fossilization are? ie do you know what percentage of living things that die become fossilized? What conditions are necessary for fossilization?
    Roughly how many fossils do you believe there should be, and how many do you believe there actually are?
    Thanks for being patient with me 🙂
    Honestly I have no answer for those questions. The only answer I guess is the time factor. If millions of years then there should be more fossilization and transitional species just by virtue of that fact right? More time more chances of it happening. I vaguely remember that fossilization occurs with sediment and pressure.

Manny
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:22
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    The late evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould had an answer to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

Basically, he argues that species remain static for most of their history (say, for millions of years), and then particular conditions lead them to evolve relatively quickly and dramatically (say, over tens of thousands of years) into new forms. This explains why, while there are transitional fossils, they are quite rare.
    Thanks for the link I'll check it.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:30
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Big if, wrongly applied.
    If it's not beneficial then the organism will die without bearing many offspring and the mutation will be naturally selected out of the the species.
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:44
    Originally posted by menace71
    Thanks for the link I'll check it.
    I get the jest of this theory. So stupid question what is the difference between mutation with in a species and evolution? Crap I'm more confused now!! 🙂 Adaptation is when a species somehow changes to overcome an obstacle right? Example a species suddenly changes color so that it becomes less visible to a predator that usually eats said species right?

Manny
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:54
    Eldredge and Gould proposed that the degree of gradualism commonly attributed to Charles Darwin is virtually nonexistent in the fossil record, and that stasis dominates the history of most fossil species.

This just supports the argument of the missing transitional species within the fossil record. The theory is to argue why stasis is what is found. A creationist can say all it does is point out the obvious.

Manny
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 22:30
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Consider, for a moment, the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
    Neglected to set the timer; spent nearly 12 hours on the topic. Now what?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 22:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If it's not beneficial then the organism will die without bearing many offspring and the mutation will be naturally selected out of the the species.
    Mutations are never beneficial for life. Original poster supposed otherwise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree