1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 07:051 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Mutations are never beneficial for life. Original poster supposed otherwise.
    Galve says otherwise.

He says "Mutations usually harm the species" implying that there are mutations that in fact are beneficial for life. Without these beneficial mutations evolution cannot work.

And in this case, I think Galve is right.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 08:05
    Originally posted by menace71
    Thanks for being patient with me 🙂
    You're welcome.

Honestly I have no answer for those questions. The only answer I guess is the time factor. If millions of years then there should be more fossilization and transitional species just by virtue of that fact right?
    No, not necessarily. The number of fossils = fossilization rate x time.
    Just because time is large does not necessarily mean the number of fossils is large. It all depends on the fossilization rate.
    Since we don't know the fossilization rate (at least you and I don't), we cannot make any conclusions whatsoever about how many fossils should or should not exist.

As for transitional fossils (as in fossils of species that show characteristics of partial adaptation to living on land and sea or partial flight), these species are such a small percentage of the total number of species that I do expect them to be quite rare.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 10:261 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead

As for transitional fossils (as in fossils of species that show characteristics of partial adaptation to living on land and sea or partial flight), these species are such a small percentage of the total number of species that I do expect them to be quite rare.[/b]
    Yes;
    because most of the time a species is not in a transitional state of evolution ( else most species that live today would be currently in the process of evolving into a new species! ) so, even if you have a thousand randomly selected fossils, the chances of one of them just happening to capture a transitional state would unfortunately be vanishingly small.
    It would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '10 06:10
    I assume there have been mass mutations of species over the Earths history.
    So how long has life been around on Earth?
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Aug '10 12:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You're welcome.

[b]Honestly I have no answer for those questions. The only answer I guess is the time factor. If millions of years then there should be more fossilization and transitional species just by virtue of that fact right?

No, not necessarily. The number of fossils = fossilization rate x time.
    Just because time is large does not necessari ...[text shortened]... uch a small percentage of the total number of species that I do expect them to be quite rare.[/b]
    As for transitional fossils (as in fossils of species that show characteristics of partial adaptation to living on land and sea or partial flight), these species are such a small percentage of the total number of species that I do expect them to be quite rare.

Particularly if Gould's 'punctuated equilibrium' idea is a closer approximation of reality than the gradual drift hypothesis.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 22:37
    Fossils were once living things that died and became trapped in a layer of sediment. As the layers of sediment built up the pressure increased and the dead animal or plant slowly turned into a fossil. Fossils are normally the hard parts of animals (shells, bones, teeth etc.) and plants because they fossilise comparatively easily and do not rot away so quickly. Occasionally, in special environments where a sudden deposition of sediment has covered an area very quickly or in peat bogs and tar pits, the soft parts (skin, feathers, fur, tissues, flowers) can be preserved. Fossils tell us about what animals and plants looked like in the past and help us to study evolution.

Fossils are usually found as isolated specimens in a rock but occasionally there can be many fossils in one rock specimen. Some rocks, such as some types of limestone, are made up entirely of fossils. Fossils are usually found in sedimentary rocks where layers of sediment have encased the dead plant or animal; they are rare in igneous rocks as the heat of the molten rock usually burns up any organic remains, and are very rare in metamorphic rocks as the recrystallisation process usually causes any fossils to be destroyed.

After reading this I was thinking about landfills. I've heard or read of cases of whole objects being preserved for example: Foods like steaks or Hot dogs being totally preserved under extreme pressure and absence of oxygen. Would this be a form of fossilization? If so then these occured in a relatively fast time. This whole subject is very interesting indeed. I just can't buy the stasis argument something does not add up.

Manny
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 11:55
    Originally posted by daniel58
    God made creation, including us by His Voice and Will, there's nothing in the fossil record that shows anything of the sort people are still searching for the "missing link" and have said the changes have happened later and later (example 1 billion years instead of 1 million), because the fossil records prove that there were no changes, also supposed skulls ...[text shortened]... ake anything, God can decide when He wants something to be extinct or not if He wants to
    "god simply willed it so" doesn't make for a very good explanation.

and yes, this is one of the most incoherent posts i ever read. congratulations.

"the fossil records prove that there were no changes"
    what do you base this on?

"also supposed skulls of "evolution" sitting next to each other to "prove" evolution were discovered to be part human, part animal, ok what does extinct species have to do with anything?"
    this is the part that will really help you get the most incoherent post award. what are you trying to say here?

" God didn't incorrectly make anything"
    what is incorrect? there was a show about a type of pig that used to live a long time ago. it was very large, about the size of a rhino. for a period of time it dominated the plains. until its prey evolved to be faster, some predators evolved themselves to be faster and smaller and work in packs. the rhino pig couldn't adapt and got extincted. where does incorrect comes in? the pig was very correct for a time and then it got snuffed out.

"God can decide when He wants something to be extinct or not if He wants to"
    first of all, why must god intervene into a mechanism the evolutionists say it works well?
    secondly, why would evolution contradict god? god wills the dinosaurs to be extinct so he sends an asteroid to crash into the planet. dinos gone, the mammals evolve to survive the cold.
    thirdly, even if god intervenes in the world, why must he do everythng by magic instantly? why can't evolution be the mechanism by which he opperates?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 14:33
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Creationists on his forum often try to find holes in evolutionary theory (KellyJays thread on the human eye being the latest), and i have read numerous times how evolution is made up, lies, religious dogma etc etc.

If life on this planet didn't evolve as evolutionary theory would have us believe, simply, how did God do it then? I' ...[text shortened]... taught on evolutionary biology courses at University level and above throughout the world?
    I took the mandatory course in Evolution while in college. It was very simple: repeat back what the professor wants to hear, and get an A. Just like any other course, one takes the teacher, not necessarily the class. Then, after the 9 week course is over, forget all that rubbish and continue on with life.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 23:27
    Creationists on his forum often try to find holes in evolutionary theory (KellyJays thread on the human eye being the latest), and i have read numerous times how evolution is made up, lies, religious dogma etc etc.

If life on this planet didn't evolve as evolutionary theory would have us believe, simply, how did God do it then? I' ...[text shortened]... taught on evolutionary biology courses at University level and above throughout the world?
    Weird. I read through this thread and didn't see any answers to your questions. Let me try it. I've got nothing better to do right now anyway. 😴

"...how did God do it then?"

God spoke creation into existence.

"Obviously i know the Biblical account of how human life allegedly came into existence, but how do creationists explain the gradual changes evident in the fossil record that seem to show evolution?"

Fossil record of what? Snails? There exists no fossil record that I know of of any creature of significance. Like man for example. There are so many different kinds of bug sized creatures it's a wonder they can catalog even a minute percentage of them.

"How come we (mankind) have catalogued 250,000 distinct different extinct species from the fossil record? Are we suppossing God incorrectly made them and then killed them off?"

No. It's just the way it is. Why get bogged down in it?

"If evolutionary theory is false as is claimed, then what is taught on evolutionary biology courses at University level and above throughout the world?"

Your guess is as good as mine!
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 00:501 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "god simply willed it so" doesn't make for a very good explanation.

and yes, this is one of the most incoherent posts i ever read. congratulations.

"the fossil records prove that there were no changes"
    what do you base this on?

"also supposed skulls of "evolution" sitting next to each other to "prove" evolution were discovered to be part human, p y magic instantly? why can't evolution be the mechanism by which he opperates?
    Ok all you did here was make fun of my post you didn't "prove" how evolution could work
  11. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 08:21
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I took the mandatory course in Evolution while in college. It was very simple: repeat back what the professor wants to hear, and get an A. Just like any other course, one takes the teacher, not necessarily the class. Then, after the 9 week course is over, forget all that rubbish and continue on with life.
    Then you learned nothing.
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 08:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I assume there have been mass mutations of species over the Earths history.
    So how long has life been around on Earth?
    The best estimate so far is 3.5 billion years.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 12:312 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    Weird. I read through this thread and didn't see any answers to your questions. Let me try it. I've got nothing better to do right now anyway. 😴

"...how did God do it then?"

[b]God spoke creation into existence.

"Obviously i know the Biblical account of how human life allegedly came into existence, but how do creationists explain the sity level and above throughout the world?"

Your guess is as good as mine![/b]
    Why thank you Joseph.

God spoke creation into existence.

What exactly does that mean? It looks like a sure fire case of 'thelodgobabble'. If in doubt, recite a piece of 'pseudo poetry'.

There exists no fossil record that I know of of any creature of significance.

Well then i suggest you do some reading to bring yourself into the 21st Century. There are 250,000 species for you to catch up on. As for snails, there are 15,000 different extinct species catalogued from the fossil record. That's 0.06% of the entire fossil record.

No. It's just the way it is. Why get bogged down in it?

I'm not getting 'bogged down in it', i was merely looking for an explanation. I take it you have none.

Your guess is as good as mine!

Here's a radical thought for you..................maybe they teach 150yrs worth of evolutionary science?! Just a thought.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 14:37
    Why thank you Joseph.

[b]God spoke creation into existence.

What exactly does that mean? It looks like a sure fire case of 'thelodgobabble'. If in doubt, recite a piece of 'pseudo poetry'.

There exists no fossil record that I know of of any creature of significance.

Well then i suggest you do some reading to bring yourself into t ...[text shortened]... ...............maybe they teach 150yrs worth of evolutionary science?! Just a thought.[/b]
    "What exactly does that mean? It looks like a sure fire case of 'thelodgobabble'. If in doubt, recite a piece of 'pseudo poetry'."

Hebrews 11:3 - Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Science cannot "see", from what it "sees", "how" God created all that is seen.

God spoke into existence all that exists from that which is not seen.

Mind boggling isn't it? Why is it so difficult for someone like yourself to comprehend this? It's not! You understand it perfectly well. You simply refuse to believe it based on your science and whatever else you can find. (not meant to be taken as an insult) I'm simply making myself look like a fool for your sake.

Surely you have the capacity to use your imagination and understand the simple thought that a creator made all that exists. But you balk at the idea because "science" can't explain "how" a creator can exists. So you draw the easy to believe conclusion that a creator doesn't exist. You fear having enough faith to believe that you were created because you don't want to be fooled into believing in an illusion. That's understandable. But it's also inexcusable, even for a scientist, to deny the existence of a creator based on incomplete information. Because that is exactly what it is.

It seems to me that true science, even though it is confined to the material, would not deny the existence of anything solely on materialistic grounds. For all you know the answer may be before your very eyes.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"What exactly does that mean? It looks like a sure fire case of 'thelodgobabble'. If in doubt, recite a piece of 'pseudo poetry'."

Hebrews 11:3 - Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Science cannot "see", from what it "sees istic grounds. For all you know the answer may be before your very eyes.[/b]
    Mind boggling isn't it?

Not really. Your answer is mind boggling though.

Surely you have the capacity to use your imagination and understand the simple thought that a creator made all that exists.

I can use my imagination to conjure up any thought i desire. Whether they are true or not is another matter entirely. I like to see evidence though.

You fear having enough faith to believe that you were created because you don't want to be fooled into believing in an illusion.

Really? I've been told by more than one theist on this forum 'what i believe', none yet are correct, and you have now joined the list.

But back to my point -

Let's take whales (the animal not the country) as an example. Whales as a species have not always been on this planet. Evolutionary theory tells us that they evolved from land based mammals, something i'm sure you don't accept.

Whales obviously haven't been around since the dawn of time, so at a point in earths history there were no whales in the oceans. But they exist today, so at some point whales materialsed on earth. My question is how did they get here? How did God do it? Did God just beam them in from some place else like on Star Trek? Did fully formed whales just one day arrive in the oceans?

Answers on postcard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree