1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 10:07
    Originally posted by yo its me
    It looks interesting, thank you I'll see if they have it at the library.
    The full text is online in modern and mediaeval English at the bottom of the Wikipedia page, too.
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 10:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The full text is online in modern and mediaeval English at the bottom of the Wikipedia page, too.
    Oh I didn't see that, thank you. I prefer reading off paper so I'll check the library first.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 10:15
    Oh I didn't see that, thank you. I prefer reading off paper so I'll check the library first.
    I found a Penguin in a charity shop a couple weeks ago. Fascinating stuff ... Worthy of filming, at the very least.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 10:28
    I found a Penguin in a charity shop a couple weeks ago. Fascinating stuff ... Worthy of filming, at the very least.
    Yes. I started reading it from the link of modern English. Some interesting points she has; "we may never come to the full knowing of God, until we first know clearly our own soul". I thought it was going to be more biographical though? Is that later?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 10:46
    Yes. I started reading it from the link of modern English. Some interesting points she has; "we may never come to the full knowing of God, until we first know clearly our own soul". I thought it was going to be more biographical though? Is that later?
    The Proem waffles on like that, but the life story starts with Chapter 1.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 11:04
    The Proem waffles on like that, but the life story starts with Chapter 1.
    I've read a bit more, so far I'm thinking she had a wonderful imigination!
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 11:131 edit
    So God is all forces in one?
    "all forces in one" ..? Yeah I guess you could put it like that.
    The point I was trying to make is that "God" does not "act" . "It" inspires "Her" 'angels' to act on Her behalf.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 11:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "all forces in one" ..? Yeah I guess you could put it like that.
    The point I was trying to make is that "God" does not "act" . "It" inspires his 'angels' to act on Her behalf.
    Umm.. Like humans are His Earthly body to be his hands?

Anyway that's not your picture of Him. I'm after what you imiagine when you think of God. Did you read Jigties and Boss' discription?
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 11:281 edit
    Let me elaborate; Picking someone we all know of. If I was to describe Shav I'd say he plays chess and he's interested in politics etc. But if I was to imiagine him it'd be in person I'd visually see what he looks like and hear his accent, his laugh. Maybe you'd rememeber a post he's made, how it made you laugh or how it offended you. You might imiagine him sitting in a living room accross from a laptop looking like his avatar! That's your picture of him. What's your picture of God?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:08
    A theistic concept of god is intellectually impoverished and is no longer tenable. In order for 'god' to have any relevance to the modern world, it must be reconfigured in a non-theistic mode. Hence, god is a metaphor. It is a mental projection of all the best and noblest human qualities bundled into one conceptual entity. God is the ideal Platonic form of humanity, of which we are imperfect copies.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    A theistic concept of god is intellectually impoverished and is no longer tenable. In order for 'god' to have any relevance to the modern world, it must be reconfigured in a non-theistic mode. Hence, god is a metaphor. It is a mental projection of all the best and noblest human qualities bundled into one conceptual entity. God is the ideal Platonic form of humanity, of which we are imperfect copies.
    God is both a metaphor and the orginal perfect human?
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Something amiss with your Platonism here, although I'm not Platonist enough to finger it.

Paging Lord Shark ...
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:272 edits
    Umm.. Like humans are His Earthly body to be his hands?

Anyway that's not your picture of Him. I'm after what you imiagine when you think of God. Did you read Jigties and Boss' discription?
    Yes
    I did read their descriptions.
    No offence to jigtie and bosse but I really dont want speculate on what my 'picture' of "Him" is.
    "Like humans are the Earthly body to be his hands?" I dont exactly know what you are getting at but I think I might have an idea.

Now getting back to my origonal contention... I dont think God can be speculated about in the sense of what is manifested. In this sense I agree with the aetheists. There is no God as something that can be measured or taken as something that is separate from the whole.
    So the whole christian notion of God as an old man with a flowing white beard sitting atop a cloud is just like Santa Claus for adults ,(as someone else has pointed out) , similarly any notion of a God that is manifested in anyway is wrong.
    God is the all. She (It) is at the background of everything we experience. In this sense there is no seeking, fearing, challenging(ha,ha),etc God in any way. Just accept the basic idea of God being an all-pervading presence over everything and move on. Any furthur speculation is just wasted energy.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:30
    Yes
    You couldn't have; I didn't give one.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:31
    Yes
    No offence to jigtie and bosse but I really dont want speculate on what my 'picture' of "Him" is.
    "Like humans are the Earthly body to be his hands?" I dont exactly know what you are getting at but I think I might have an idea.

Now getting back to my origonal contention... I dont think God can be speculated a ...[text shortened]... ading presence over everything and move on. Any furthur speculation is just wasted energy.
    Panentheism, in a word?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree