How do you imiagine God?

How do you imiagine God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
theres a fair bit of that we need to leave behind us... i think its fairly safe to say christianity has had a checkered history at best.
That's why the Marcionites wanted nothing to do with the Jewish god, who was clearly evil. For them the Christian god was a completely different god who came to rescue the world from the clutches of the Jewish god.

It makes a lot more sense than trying to reconcile the litany of Old Testament horrors with a supposed "god of love."

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by yo its me
Because my choice of Bible is the New International Version?
terrible writing, and the translation is skewed towards certain dogmas

c

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
theres a fair bit of that we need to leave behind us... i think its fairly safe to say christianity has had a checkered history at best.
Genocide is far from behind us.

d

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by rwingett
That's why the Marcionites wanted nothing to do with the Jewish god, who was clearly evil. For them the Christian god was a completely different god who came to rescue the world from the clutches of the Jewish god.

It makes a lot more sense than trying to reconcile the litany of Old Testament horrors with a supposed "god of love."
No it's not, there is only One God, yet He shows different characteristics.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No it's not, there is only One God, yet He shows different characteristics.
It would effect one's beleif in Him if they only regognised certian charistics, if their imiage of Him was solelly based on the awful things that happened till God found a way to forgive instead of having a blood sacrifce.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09

It would effect one's beleif in Him if they only regognised certian charistics, if their imiage of Him was solelly based on the awful things that happened till God found a way to forgive instead of having a blood sacrifce.
Let's try some spell check (right click on the words with squiggly underlining, choose the likely intent:

It would effect one's belief in Him if they only registered certain charismatics, if their imagoes of Him was solecism based on the awful things that happened till God found a way to forgive instead of having a blood sacrilege.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
19 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Let's try some spell check (right click on the words with squiggly underlining, choose the likely intent:

[b]It would effect one's belief in Him if they only registered certain charismatics, if their imagoes of Him was solecism based on the awful things that happened till God found a way to forgive instead of having a blood sacrilege.
[/b]
Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban.
There's no need to change my words whatever your intent. If you didn't understand what I said ask me. The words you've chosen don't make sense.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
20 Aug 09

[b]Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban.
There's no need to change my words whatever your intent. If you didn't understand what I said ask me. The words you've chosen don't make sense.[/b]
I'm not misrepresenting your views; rather, I failed to understand them. Perhaps you could elucidate?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
21 Aug 09

I'm not misrepresenting your views; rather, I failed to understand them. Perhaps you could elucidate?
if you didn't understand what I'd written then why did you try to correct my spelling? Seems a strange thing to do. Which bit perplexes you?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
21 Aug 09
2 edits

if you didn't understand what I'd written then why did you try to correct my spelling? Seems a strange thing to do. Which bit perplexes you?
Your atrocious spelling is the barrier to understanding. I thought if I corrected the spelling, I might make some sense of it. I couldn't. If I corrected incorrectly, and you think you have something to say, go ahead and correct it yourself. Then we can discuss your point.

BTW, I think effect is also misspelled, and that you meant affect. But, not being able to make sense from the rest of the utterance, I'm not certain.

Also, who is "Him." Would this be a culture-bound reference to the Creator? Certainly the originator of all life is female and male, but, (and this come from observations of humans and other animals--so too profane to deserve much confidence--) more female than male.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
22 Aug 09

Your atrocious spelling is the barrier to understanding. I thought if I corrected the spelling, I might make some sense of it. I couldn't. If I corrected incorrectly, and you think you have something to say, go ahead and correct it yourself. Then we can discuss your point.

BTW, I think effect is also misspelled, and that you meant affect. But, not being ...[text shortened]... umans and other animals--so too profane to deserve much confidence--) more female than male.
You haven't been following this thread have you. We already have decovered that God is both spiritual mother and father, but that I prefer to say 'Him'. It's not important to me, you can call God 'Her' if you wish.

My point simply is that not knowing the full charictor of God means it's not so easy to except Him as God, R's imiage of God is only of the few passages in the Bible where He is descibed as illtorralant to humans, disapointed in His creation.

I don't know why my spelling bothers you so. Yours dosen't bother me.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
23 Aug 09
1 edit

I don't know why my spelling bothers you so. Yours dosen't bother me.
That's my point. Reduce the errors, and the spelling does not call notice to itself.

My point simply is that not knowing the full charictor of God means it's not so easy to except Him as God

Knowing that's God's charade is incomplete compels me to except him or her as the Creator or Great Mystery. The Creator cannot be incomplete, not even in his ruse of planting fossils to mislead skeptics.

If I know that a being is complete in all aspects of his or her being, then accepting, rather than excepting, the possibility of divinity requires less of an imaginative stretch.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
27 Aug 09

Knowing that's God's charade is incomplete compels me to except him or her as the Creator or Great Mystery. The Creator cannot be incomplete, not even in his ruse of planting fossils to mislead skeptics.

If I know that a being is complete in all aspects of his or her being, then accepting, rather than excepting, the possibility of divinity requires less of an imaginative stretch.
Perhaps you project your own ideas of what is 'godlike' on God, maybe you've decided that change isn't something God would do? Is this what you mean by incomplete? Or is it that you knowlage of Him is incomplete?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
27 Aug 09

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
27 Aug 09
2 edits

How do you imagine God?
I think of some old geezer with a big moustache sitting in his palace in the clouds surrounded by a harem of angelic minions.
He spends most of his time looking down on his favourite planet [earth], and loving every little prayer his favourite species [humans] say to either him or some other god humans dreampt up as he looks and listens in with his magic god goggles.
Everynow and again though he gets bored and decides to smite a few thousand people with natural disasters to see if people will pray to him even more. When they do he feels happy and celebrates such momentous occasions by doing something paradoxical.

Since he is so busy keeping his attention on us humans he doesn't have time to dedicate to the myriad of other creatures he whimsically created for our amusement; nor dos he give a crap that we kill them in horrid ways, or that other creatures kill em in horrible ways. *only we humans matter!*

He likes to talk to humans as well (but only when there is noone else around to notice or back them up should they speak of it)...He probably has a strange and deep irish accent.

He doesn't like drinking water, he prefers wine...we infer from this immediately god is an alcoholic. (this would of course explain all the cock ups he makes)

Whether you're hitler or ghandi he doesn't care how many lives you save or slaughter...praise his son Jesus (who is also him (he likes the obfuscation factor)) and you'll be listening to harp music and enjoying his feet that you'll be constantly kissing for all eternity.

He is also figuring out different ways of getting us to deal with his arch Nemesis Satan (for whom he nicely grants dominion over all the naughty humans that don't praise him) because being omnipotent and all it is far to big a task for him to undertake alone!

He sounds like a real geezer! 😉