1. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '09 09:32
    this is a serious question, i need to know, whether the definition of being Jewish is on a faith or on ethnicity basis. Any insight into the matter is most appreciated.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 May '09 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is a serious question, i need to know, whether the definition of being Jewish is on a faith or on ethnicity basis. Any insight into the matter is most appreciated.
    some religions you have to be born into, others you may convert to

I think you can converted to judaism but only if you marry
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    31 May '09 13:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    some religions you have to be born into, others you may convert to

I think you can converted to judaism but only if you marry
    I do know that if you're born to a Jewish father and a Gentile mother, you have to convert. If you're born to a Jewish mother, though, whether the father is Jewish or Gentile, you're automatically Jewish.
  4. Joined
    23 Oct '08
    Moves
    31 May '09 15:50
    At all depends who asks and who answers.

Formally a Jew, in the eye of the strict Jewish Orthodoxy is one who is born to a Jewish mother of was converted according to the Torah.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '09 16:12
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I do know that if you're born to a Jewish father and a Gentile mother, you have to convert. If you're born to a Jewish mother, though, whether the father is Jewish or Gentile, you're automatically Jewish.
    ok, but what if i start to eat ham sandwiches and it turns out that I am not even circumcised at birth and never attend the synagogue, will i still be considered Jewish? is that really the case?
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    31 May '09 16:18
    ok, but what if i start to eat ham sandwiches and it turns out that I am not even circumcised at birth and never attend the synagogue, will i still be considered Jewish? is that really the case?
    I'm actually not sure about that. In Islam, when you do these things you're still considered Muslim; you're just considered a bad Muslim. You'd have to ask someone born of a Jewish mother or an Orthodox Jew on this site.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 18:47
    there is Jewish by ethnicity and Jewish by faith. Sammy Davis Jr. was Jewish by conversion of faith, not by birth. There are of course many self identified Jews who hold no particular faith whatsoever. Theirs is probably the only religion/culture with that type of duality. puzzling for sure
  8. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 19:12
    How about:

'Get a sharp knife, and cut of the tip of a baby boy's penis, causing severe pain and trauma, all in the belief that 'God wants it''?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 19:16
    I'm actually not sure about that. In Islam, when you do these things you're still considered Muslim; you're just considered a bad Muslim. You'd have to ask someone born of a Jewish mother or an Orthodox Jew on this site.
    It is the same in Judaism.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 20:26
    Originally posted by znsho
    How about:

'Get a sharp knife, and cut of the tip of a baby boy's penis, causing severe pain and trauma, all in the belief that 'God wants it''?
    (Doesn't even be a sharp knife.)
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 20:31
    I'm not an orthodox Jew, but it's essentially the same.

Although there are religious fanatics who might say you aren't a "real" jew if you don't abide by a given number of rules.
  12. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 20:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    (Doesn't even be a sharp knife.)
    Rusty, blunt knife OK, as long as God approves?

When are you Jews (and Muslims) gonna realise - it is child abuse!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 20:56
    Rusty, blunt knife OK, as long as God approves?

When are you Jews (and Muslims) gonna realise - it is child abuse!
    dude i do not mean to be rude, really, but its not very helpful, is it?
  14. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 21:00
    dude i do not mean to be rude, really, but its not very helpful, is it?
    In what way is it not helpful to try and prevent child abuse?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 21:13
    In what way is it not helpful to try and prevent child abuse?
    to prevent child abuse is a good and virtuous endeavor my friend, what i meant was, and perhaps it was not clear, how does this help me to find out what the true definition of being Jewish is, whether its based on faith or ethnicity or whether one can be a Jew and then be disqualified because of some action contrary to the tenets of Judaism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree