1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 17:41
    Originally posted by lemon lime

An ant might be able to sense the presence of something like a 'human', but it wouldn't actually know anything about that human... and whether or not the ant is actually able to sense the presence of a 'living' (human) being would be problematic at best. An ant is able to recognize another ant, but I very much doubt ants are able to observe us as easily as ...[text shortened]... m. And even if they could they would only be able to understand us from their own point of view.[/b]
    YouTube
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 19:37
    Don't watch it. He is trolling again.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 20:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Is troll today's spam word?

Tomorrow it will porcupine. (Accompanied by a youtube video).
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:03
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Is troll today's spam word?

Tomorrow it will porcupine. (Accompanied by a youtube video).
    Go troll in the Science Forum for awhile. Maybe they can teach you a thing or two.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:08
    Go troll in the Science Forum for awhile. Maybe they can teach you a thing or two.
    I would not call you a troll in return. Internet trolls are vile creatures who pop up on memorial sites etc and post horrible things just to get a reaction. I don't think you post horrible things just to get a reaction. I think you post horrible things because you actually believe them.

That's far worse.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:25
    Oh, no... you're too late! I've already seen it!

Arrrrrrgh!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:25
    I would not call you a troll in return. Internet trolls are vile creatures who pop up on memorial sites etc and post horrible things just to get a reaction. I don't think you post horrible things just to get a reaction. I think you post horrible things because you actually believe them.

That's far worse.
    Go tell the folks on the Science Forum what you think. They will surely appreciate you. The people of this Forum do not.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:541 edit
    Go tell the folks on the Science Forum what you think. They will surely appreciate you. The people of this Forum do not.
    He doesn't bother me. It's the malevolent trollers that get under my skin. He responded to something I said in the same way I've responded to divegeester... so no harm no fowl. YouTube
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 06:46
    You believe you speak for the people on this forum? And you think 'you' are appreciated?

Cuckoo Cuckoo
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 06:491 edit
    He doesn't bother me. It's the malevolent trollers that get under my skin. He responded to something I said in the same way I've responded to divegeester... so no harm no fowl. [youtube]YKzKDSuc1TU[/youtube]
    A surprisingly beautiful video.

I think it supports my earlier posting about the 'hidden goodness' in man that often resides below the surface, irrespective of his (her) religious persuasion.
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 15:261 edit
    A surprisingly beautiful video.

I think it supports my earlier posting about the 'hidden goodness' in man that often resides below the surface, irrespective of his (her) religious persuasion.
    I don't need the shirt off someones back, so I'm looking for some other 'hidden' goodness at these message boards. The atheists here pretty much own the Science forum, and I would appreciate it if they could be content with that and not try owning this forum as well. They don't have to respect what I believe, but the constant inferences of self superiority and claiming I believe an abhorrent doctrine is quite frankly wearing very thin... so I'm more interested in seeing signs of this 'hidden goodness' rather than talk about it.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 16:42
    .. so I'm more interested in seeing signs of this 'hidden goodness' rather than talk about it.
    You will see examples of mans 'hidden goodness' if you really look for it, in the 'real world'. In this virtual world however most people (atheist and theist alike) come with yoroi (armour) that often obscures this inner goodness. It is a less honest, seemingly less caring environment. People say and do things they would never say or do in the real world. (For the most part). I'm always happy however when a thread comes along where people are genuinely kind to each other, if only for a short while. It invariably takes a death or shared experience for this to occur.

A while back i was in a coffee shop when another customer collapsed and was helped to the chair next to me by a couple of staff. It's in the nature of my job to talk to vulnerable people, so i just gave him a little of my time and we had a nice conversation. He was so wobbly and unsteady on his feet when he was about to leave that i organised a mini cab to take him home. When i was leaving, a lady smiled at me and whispered, 'you're a good Christian dear.'
    I thanked her and left, but still remember feeling a little sad at her words; not because i have anything against Christians, but rather that she instinctively felt that only a Christian was capable of showing such kindness to a fellow human being. (Or at least, that's how it felt at the time).
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 17:421 edit
    You will see examples of mans 'hidden goodness' if you really look for it, in the 'real world'. In this virtual world however most people (atheist and theist alike) come with yoroi (armour) that often obscures this inner goodness. It is a less honest, seemingly less caring environment. People say and do things they would never say or do in the real w ...[text shortened]... of showing such kindness to a fellow human being. (Or at least, that's how it felt at the time).
    I'm fairly sure the lady didn't presume you were a Christian because of your act of 'Christian' kindness, but I don't know why this should (or would) make you feel sad. Acts of 'Christian' kindness are not necessarily limited to Christians. She obviously doesn't know you, so I believe she probably meant it as more of an expression of gratitude than anything else. And I've never heard anyone express gratitude for an act of 'atheist' kindness, but why would they? Atheism (as a non-belief) doesn't demand kindness... with atheism there is no inherent virtue or demand for virtue.

The problem I have with atheism is that it can point to Christianity and claim it contains abhorrent doctrines, but you'll never hear about abortion on demand described as an abhorrent 'secular' doctrine... it can't be an abhorrent secular doctrine because with atheism there is no right or wrong. With atheism the atheist can do whatever he thinks is right as long as it conforms to majority opinion (consensus). There is no 'god' an atheist needs to answer to other than himself, so 'right' and 'wrong' can mean whatever he wants it to mean. Most atheists believe this is what religion does, but with atheism there is no accountability to an outside authority... so anything deemed 'right' today can be 'wrong' tomorrow, and visa versa.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 18:02
    I'm fairly sure the lady didn't presume you were a Christian because of your act of 'Christian' kindness, but I don't know why this should (or would) make you feel sad. Acts of 'Christian' kindness are not necessarily limited to Christians. She obviously doesn't know you, so I believe she probably meant it as more of an expression of gratitude than anythi ...[text shortened]... n outside authority... so anything deemed 'right' today can be 'wrong' tomorrow, and visa versa.
    I am a human before i am an atheist, i guess that's my point. And you are right that i am not accountable to an outside authority. I am though accountable to my own conscience.

Please consider that.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 19:051 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree