1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 15:431 edit
    A theist said this to an atheist today on one of these threads in the course of a disagreement about beliefs.

I think I'd rather die then be stuck with a mind like yours.

Does anybody else ever get as emotional and as scornful as this about fellow posters as a result of conversations (and disagreements) on this message board?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 15:57
    Originally posted by @fmf
    A theist said this to an atheist today on one of these threads in the course of a disagreement about beliefs.

[b]I think I'd rather die then be stuck with a mind like yours.

Does anybody else ever get as emotional and as scornful as this about fellow posters as a result of conversations (and disagreements) on this message board?[/b]
    I saw the post you are referring to about 30 minutes ago but I was too gob-smacked and dismayed to make a comment.

Most of the Christians in this forum despise me because I tell it to them like I see it; and yet I would never tell a non Christian that I would rather be dead than have a mind like them.

It’s an astonishing thing to say but considering the poster I am really not surprised.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:04
    Can certainty about obtaining everlasting life cheapen how much one values life and also make one cavalier about death?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:07
    Can certainty about obtaining everlasting life cheapen how much one values life and also make one cavalier about death?
    When a person genuinely believes that the deliberate eternal burning alive of billions of human beings is God’s “perfect justice”....then yes it can.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:161 edit
    Christian to a non-Christian: I think I'd rather die than be stuck with a mind like yours.
    Does this wish or sentiment have scriptural support?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:27
    Does this wish or sentiment have scriptural support?
    Unfortunately, yes
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:29
    Sonships certainty about obtaining everlasting life is all in his head.

Sonship will wait until the day of judgment, like the rest of us.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:32
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I saw the post you are referring to about 30 minutes ago but I was too gob-smacked and dismayed to make a comment.
    Which is it more of: the Christian stroking his own ego in a holier-than-thou kind of way, or the Christian trying to hurt a dissenter's feelings?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:33
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Unfortunately, yes
    No way!
    Where?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:36
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Unfortunately, yes
    Let's let sonship make the Biblical case.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:38
    Which is it more of: the Christian stroking his own ego in a holier-than-thou kind of way, or the Christian trying to hurt a dissenter's feelings?
    Probably a bit of both, but more of an emotional expression of frustration in the exchanges with you. It’s unlikely that sonship will admit to any of the options; but he may do the latter.

I have a history of being a little coarse with my posting at times (“dickhead” for example), but what is worse, calling someone a silly billy with coarseness, or telling them politely that they would rather be dead than be like them.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:40
    Let's let sonship make the Biblical case.
    Ok .. lets see what he says.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 May '18 16:41
    I think I'd rather die then be stuck with a mind like yours....
    than, not then. I can relax now.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 17:00
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Probably a bit of both, but more of an emotional expression of frustration in the exchanges with you.
    Maybe he thinks the same thing about lots of people here ~ all the non-Christians perhaps ~ and maybe some followers of Christ too - because of (not liking) their minds and/or disagreeing with him.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 May '18 17:163 edits

[b]I think I'd rather die then be stuck with a mind like yours.

Does anybody else ever get as emotional and as scornful as this about fellow posters as a result of conversations (and disagreements) on this message board?[/b]
    I did not say you could not be changed or that there was no hope.

But the Bible DOES speak about those who have a reprobate mind. Sorry. I think I had one at a time.

And if you're offended your just going to have to be offended. BECAUSE men who give up the knowledge of God and not to be included in their thinking can be given up with a reprobate mind.

"Because though they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God or thank Him but rather became vain in their reasonings, and their heart, lacking understanding, was darkened. ... (v.21 of Rom. 1)

Therefore God gave them up to passions of dishonor; ... (v.26)

And even as they did not approve of holding God in their full knowledge, God gave them up to a disapproved mind, to do the things which are not fitting, " (v.28)

It is possible that the mind you display here year after year after year is one that has been disapproved and given up by God.

I think I would rather die then be stuck with such a darkened mind.

But as long as it is called "today" there could be hope.

Now, if you think everything you have written here on this Forum about me just tickles me pink with a complementary tone all the time ... well, I might be able to think of just a couple of exceptions ... just a couple, over the years?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree