1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:44
    If we assume that the Biblical account of creation is true, how old would the universe appear moments after it was created?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If we assume that the Biblical account of creation is true, how old would the universe appear moments after it was created?
    Imagine if I told you a fridge was just created out of nowhere 60 seconds ago. Then imagine that when you open the fridge to investigate, it was full of mold, mildew and rotting sandwiches. Would you believe my claim that the fridge was created only a minute ago?

That's what creationist claims with the earth are like. The earth is full of things that indicate a much older age for the earth than what's extrapolated from the bible. Limestone is one example, which takes something like 50,000 years to deposit just a few inches, of it, and a WHOLE lot more exists than just that,

I could claim that all that mold and rotting food was created at the same time, but wouldn't that sound ridiculous? It should. Likewise with creationist claims for the age of and the universe.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:01
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Imagine if I told you a fridge was just created out of nowhere 60 seconds ago. Then imagine that when you open the fridge to investigate, it was full of mold, mildew and rotting sandwiches. Would you believe my claim that the fridge was created only a minute ago?

That's what creationist claims with the earth are like. The earth is full of things that ...[text shortened]... all that mold and rotting food was created at the same time, but wouldn't that sound ridiculous?
    If the fridge was just made by God, then it could be possible.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:03
    If the fridge was just made by God, then it could be possible.
    What logical reason would God have for making something he just created look old?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:05
    What logical reason would God have for making something he just created look old?
    Why did God make Adam a full grown man and not a baby?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:112 edits
    Why did God make Adam a full grown man and not a baby?
    Just like the fridge in my example, we're allowing some assumptions to be made, since we know it takes time for a fridge to be created. If it just appeared, ignoring that it needs to look like a fully-formed fridge (like Adam being a fully formed adult human), how would you explain away the mold and rotting food in the fridge?

Likewise, why would God (among many other examples) create fully-formed limestone deposits, which take about 50,000 years for only a few inches to form? Can you defend that?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:13
    Satandidit to deceive mankind into denying Creation.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:18
    Just like the fridge in my example, we're allowing some assumptions to be made, since we know it takes time for a fridge to be created. If it just appeared, ignoring that it needs to look like a fully-formed fridge (like Adam being a fully formed adult human), how would you explain away the mold and rotting food in the fridge?

Likewise, why would God c ...[text shortened]... one deposits, which take about 50,000 years for only a few inches to form? Can you defend that?
    Why should I defend an assumption?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:26
    Originally posted by @js357
    Satandidit to deceive mankind into denying Creation.
    If it was to deceive all of mankind, then it failed.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:27
    Why should I defend an assumption?
    I asking you to defend why your god would make unnecessary steps to create something that looks old. Even if I *give* you that Adam was created to look like an adult (like we're just accepting for the sake of argument that a fridge was just created out of nothing), how do you defend the "rotting food", which in this case, is pretty much everything else on earth that looks WAY older than what's given through the bible?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:291 edit
    I asking you to defend why your god would make unnecessary steps to create something that looks old. Even if I *give* you that Adam was created to look like an adult (like we're just accepting for the sake of argument that a fridge was just created out of nothing), how do you defend the "rotting food", which in this case, is pretty much everything else on earth that looks WAY older than what's given through the bible?
    So you are trying to change the discussion. Read the original post and join the appropriate discussion. If you want an answer to question you ask, start a new thread. If I want to respond to it, I'll do it in that thread.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:33
    So you are trying to change the discussion. Read the original post and join the appropriate discussion. If you want an answer to question you ask, start a new thread. If I want to respond to it, I'll do it in that thread.
    It was only a matter of time before you started dodging. How exactly did I "change the discussion"?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:34
    How do you know what an old universe looks like?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:351 edit
    It was only a matter of time before you started dodging. How exactly did I "change the discussion"?
    I'm not dodging, just sticking to the topic.

How old would the universe appear moments after God created it, assuming of course that God created it.

Actually, it is you who is dodging the question.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 21:10
    God could have used raw materials that had been lying around for millions of years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree