1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Jun '12 17:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    History is not fictional stories like romance novels, you numbnuts.

P.S. I have a book called "The Bible as History" by Werner Keller
    It eliminates all the parables and stories and prophecies and just concentrates on the history. So if you have trouble telling the difference, I suggest you get this book.
    the bible has too much mythology and exaggeration (tribal competition; "my god has a bigger penis than your god" kind of nonsense) it is only marginally useful as a historical reference.
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    06 Jun '12 17:542 edits
    Originally posted by humy

rain water comes from water vapor in to the atmosphere from oceans.

Dirr.
    the salt from god all from god

so now you resort back to plan B again i.e. giving a supernatural explanation after your yet another attempt at a natural explanation with “there is sodium and chlorine in rain water so what happens when you dissolve ...[text shortened]... planation?
    If not, then why did you bother to keep trying to give a natural explanation first?
    I think this is hilarious salt looool

rocks minerals water dissolves minerals

http://creation.com/salty-seas-evidence-for-a-young-earth
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Jun '12 21:20
    Originally posted by tim88
    I think this is hilarious salt looool

rocks minerals water dissolves minerals

http://creation.com/salty-seas-evidence-for-a-young-earth
    So you now yet again try your plan A of trying to give a rational natural explanation and make the mistake on venturing on our domain. But you fail again because the link can clearly be shown to have a falsehood and be based on that falsehood because it says:

“the rate of all of this sodium output is far less than the input.”

-referring to the sodium input/output from the sea. This is false because it has been long established that salt concentration equilibrium has been reached after a few hundred million years because the salt concentration is now sufficiently high that the output of salt is now proximately the same as its input rate.

Now I have pointed out this natural explanation is false, are you now going to resort to plan B and give a supernatural explanation yet again?
    If so, why didn't you give the supernatural explanation first? ( answer; because even you must know that a supernatural explanation is less credible than a natural one -why else? )
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Jun '12 22:08
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    the bible has too much mythology and exaggeration (tribal competition; "my god has a bigger penis than your god" kind of nonsense) it is only marginally useful as a historical reference.
    Not so. It is a very important historical document.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Jun '12 22:12
    So you now yet again try your plan A of trying to give a rational natural explanation and make the mistake on venturing on our domain. But you fail again because the link can clearly be shown to have a falsehood and be based on that falsehood because it says:

-referring to the sodium inp ...[text shortened]... you must know that a supernatural explanation is less credible than a natural one -why else? )
    Your statement is clearly false because there has not been a few hundred million years.
  6. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 05:32

-referring to the sodium inp ...[text shortened]... you must know that a supernatural explanation is less credible than a natural one -why else? )
    god did it 🙂
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 07:171 edit
    Originally posted by tim88
    god did it 🙂
    All water, even rain water, contains dissolved chemicals which scientists call "salts." Some scientists estimate that the oceans contain as much as 50 quadrillion tons (50 million billion tons) of dissolved solids.

If the salt in the sea could be removed and spread evenly over the Earth's land surface it would form a layer more than 500 feet thick, about the height of a 40-story office building.

Ocean water is a complex solution of mineral salts and of decayed biologic matter that results from the teeming life in the seas. Most of the ocean's salts were derived from the breaking up of the cooled igneous rocks of the Earth's crust by weathering and erosion, the wearing down of mountains, and the dissolving action of rains and streams which transported their mineral washings to the sea. Some of the ocean's salts have been dissolved from rocks and sediments below its floor. Other sources of salts include the solid and gaseous materials that escaped from the Earth's crust through volcanic vents or that originated in the atmosphere.

In the beginning the primeval seas may have been only slightly salty. But ever since the first rains descended upon the young Earth and ran over the land breaking up rocks and transporting their minerals to the seas, the ocean has become saltier. It is estimated that the rivers and streams flowing from the United States alone discharge 225 million tons of dissolved solids and 513 million tons of suspended sediment annually to the sea. Recent calculations show yields of dissolved solids from other land masses that range from about 6 tons per square mile for Australia to about 120 tons per square mile for Europe. Throughout the world, rivers carry an estimated 4 billion tons of dissolved salts to the ocean annually. About the same tonnage of salt from the ocean water probably is deposited as sediment on the ocean bottom.

Salts become concentrated in the sea because the Sun's heat distills or vaporizes almost pure water from the surface of the sea and leaves the salts behind. This process is part of the continual exchange of water between the Earth and the atmosphere that is called the hydrologic cycle. Water vapor rises from the ocean surface and is carried landward by the winds. When the vapor collides with a colder mass of air, it condenses (changes from a gas to a liquid) and falls to Earth as rain. The rain runs off into streams which in turn transport water to the ocean. Evaporation from both the land and the ocean again causes water to return to the atmosphere as vapor and the cycle starts anew. The ocean, then, is not fresh like river water because of the huge accumulation of salts by evaporation and the contribution of raw salts from the land. In fact, since the first rainfall, the seas have become saltier.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 08:433 edits
    All water, even rain water, contains dissolved chemicals which scientists call "salts." Some scientists estimate that the oceans contain as much as 50 quadrillion tons (50 million billion tons) of dissolved solids.

If the salt in the sea could be removed and spread evenly over the Earth's land surface it would form a layer more than 500 feet thick, about aw salts from the land. In fact, since the first rainfall, the seas have become saltier.
    Most of the ocean's salts were derived from the breaking up of the cooled igneous rocks of the Earth's crust by weathering and erosion, the wearing down of mountains, and the dissolving action of rains and streams which transported their mineral washings to the sea.

so you are saying ( for now ) all ( or at least “most” ) of that salt in the ocean was NOT put there by a god but came from natural processes. Well, providing you stick to that ( which you will not ) , that is at least more consistent than what tim88 says who continually first says it comes from natural processes and then says “God did it” and then back again.

BUT, it would have taken at least 100 million years for so much salt to accumulate to its current concentration via all those natural processes. Therefore, if you are saying all ( or at least “most” ) of that salt in the ocean was NOT put there by a god but came from natural processes as your first principle, then the fact that there is so much of it in the oceans logically should be proof to you that the oceans and therefore the Earth is at least about 100 million years. But is apparently doesn't prove to you this! Why? Because you are illogical.

Salts become concentrated in the sea BECAUSE the Sun's heat distills or vaporizes almost pure water from the surface of the sea and leaves the salts behind. ( my emphasis)

what? In all the oceans? If so, you do know that when water evaporates it doesn't simply cease to exists but turns into water vapour -right?
    And that water vapour doesn't just cease to exist but is trapped in the Earth’s atmosphere until it eventually falls back down as rain -right?
    And that rain water goes back into the sea -right?
    That is what the hydrocycle is: http://water.me.vccs.edu/hydrocycle.htm

so, except of a few small seas such as the dead sea etc that are partly isolated from the main bodies of ocean water, “Salts become concentrated in the sea BECAUSE the Sun's heat distills or vaporizes almost pure water from the surface of the sea and leaves the salts behind.” is clearly FALSE because any water that evaporates that way is simply returned back into the ocean via the hydrocycle to dilute down the salt concentration back down again and thus evaporation cannot explain why “Salts become concentrated in the sea “ as you claim above for all the oceans.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 17:433 edits
    Most of the ocean's salts were derived from the breaking up of the cooled igneous rocks of the Earth's crust by weathering and erosion, the wearing down of mountains, and the dissolving action of rains and streams which transported their mineral washings to the sea.

so you are saying ( for now ) all ( or at least “most” ) of that salt in the xplain why “Salts become concentrated in the sea “ as you claim above for all the oceans.
    Why can not God speed up these natural processes like he did with so many other things?

P.S. Don't rule out the effects of the worldwide flood in speeding up these processes along with the rising of the mountains and the sinking of the valleys to provide a place for the floodwaters to drain. Have you ever tried to lift a barrel full of what? Try it. I think you will find it very heavy.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 18:08
    Why can not God speed up these natural processes like he did with so many other things?

P.S. Don't rule out the effects of the worldwide flood in speeding up these processes along with the rising of the mountains and the sinking of the valleys to provide a place for the floodwaters to drain. Have you ever tried to lift a barrel full of what? Try it. I think you will find it very heavy.
    You are right, I would find lifting a whole continent to be almost impossible. But then, I am only human.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 18:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You are right, I would find lifting a whole continent to be almost impossible. But then, I am only human.
    Remember that next time. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! 😏
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 18:251 edit

here we go again: now the said natural explanation by a creationist has been shown ( by me in this case ) to not be able to explain how absurd religious claim could be true ( in this case, how salt could have reached the current concentration in the oceans in less than, say, a million years ) the said explanation is suddenly changed to a supernatural one ( in this case, God intervenes to speed up the processes -a cheap get-out ) This is executing plan B by the creationist who must know that any supernatural explanation has less credence else he would would not bother giving a natural explanation but just stuck to a purely supernatural one to start with.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 18:411 edit

here we go again: now the said natural explanation by a creationist has been shown ( by me in this case ) to not be able to explain how absurd religious claim could be true ( in this case, how salt could have reached the current concentration in the ocea ...[text shortened]... t bother giving a natural explanation but just stuck to a purely supernatural one to start with.
    Your brain is material that works by chemical action. However, your mind and thoughts are immaterial and use the brain and other parts of the body to express the immaterial information. You are handicapping your mind if you limit your thoughts to only material things.

P.S. Don't forget this is the spiritual forum.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 19:284 edits
    Your brain is material that works by chemical action. However, your mind and thoughts are immaterial and use the brain and other parts of the body to express the immaterial information. You are handicapping your mind if you limit your thoughts to only material things.

P.S. Don't forget this is the spiritual forum.
    I presume this is a creationist's plan C : -If you get desperate because you don't like where the discussion is going, just simply change the subject to one that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the current one being discussed and hope nobody notices.

Notice that we atheists don't employ this same tactic -we have no need to.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 20:051 edit
    I presume this is a creationist's plan C : -If you get desperate because you don't like where the discussion is going, just simply change the subject to one that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the current one being discussed and hope nobody notices.

Notice that we atheists don't employ this same tactic -we have no need to.
    The evolutionists are the masters of that tactic. One found a spelling or typing error and claimed the the work was not scholarly. Isn't that a masterly way of changing the subject. Remarkable, how indoctrination works to inhibit rational thinking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree