Moves
    03 Sep '06 18:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Robots are robots, when one has the will and freedom to act the
    choices have to real. Why did everyone make the choices they
    did, don't know. Why did the universe even allow for bad choices,
    I would imagine (my guess) is it would be like why we put metals
    under huge amounts of heat to burn out the impurities before we
    use them to build, or why we stres ...[text shortened]... hat is real and true will be tested. This again is
    my opinion, I could be way off here.
    Kelly
    The temptation to reject your god would exist in the alternative universe as well. I see now that you understand my point though, and we are back to where we were. That is you don't know, and I don't know either.

I'd point out that even with free will, we're very much like robots from your god's point of view in that there are never any "surprises." He knows exactly what each of us will do at every moment and exactly what each of us would do differently if our environment we slightly changed.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 18:44
    Originally posted by telerion
    The temptation to reject your god would exist in the alternative universe as well. I see now that you understand my point though, and we are back to where we were. That is you don't know, and I don't know either.

I'd point out that even with free will, we're very much like robots from your god's point of view in that there are never any "surprises." ...[text shortened]... and exactly what each of us would do differently if our environment we slightly changed.
    I don't assume to know what God knows too, if our choices are own;
    if that is true I'm sure that is much more special to God than any
    robot could be. Being made in God's image has some profound and
    interesting implications on what we will be when this is all said and
    done since we are told we will be like Christ.
    Kelly
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 18:451 edit
    Originally posted by telerion

I'd point out that even with free will, we're very much like robots from your god's point of view in that there are never any "surprises." ...[text shortened]... and exactly what each of us would do differently if our environment we slightly changed.
    Tel, correct me if I’m wrong, but you seem to be arguing in this thread mainly from the basic idea of constrained choice. Even if one assumes libertarian free will, we are still faced with a limited choice-set. An omnipotent God could’ve simply altered the constraints without affecting anyone’s free will. Have I got it?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Tel, correct me if I’m wrong, but you seem to be arguing in this thread mainly from the basic idea of constrained choice. Even if one assumes libertarian free will, we are still faced with a limited choice-set. An omnipotent God could’ve simply altered the constraints without affecting anyone’s free will. Have I got it?
    Yes, I'm working off of that notion. I mostly interested in how believers are constraining the choice set of an omnipotent, omniscient Creator.

The problem I think for the believer is as follows:

Assumption: Any person's choice to serve their god is independent of any other person's choice in this regard.

Under this assumption, if the current world (which is obviously feasible) is "x people serve their god and y people do not", then it follows that the world "x people serve their god and z

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree