1. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 23:50
    Originally posted by Rolfey
    wrong, you just are not sensitive enough to feel the difference.

scittish covered it already.
    So you're saying that the heat a bulb gives off is as intense at 1 inch as it is at 10 feet? I can feel it at 1 inch but I can't feel it at 10 feet.
    My point that heat dispersed with distance much faster than lumination does. Thus, a place can get brighter without being hotter.

DF
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 23:53
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    So you're saying that the heat a bulb gives off is as intense at 1 inch as it is at 10 feet? I can feel it at 1 inch but I can't feel it at 10 feet.
    My point that heat dispersed with distance much faster than lumination does. Thus, a place can get brighter without being hotter.

DF
    Same amount of heat is emmited BUT the intensity is less when you 10ft away. You are not sensitive enough to detect the heat at such a low intensity.
    If a place becomes brighter, generally, it will become hotter. It depends on the intensity and the type of light being emmited (some light has different energy levels).
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 01:36

DF
    Wrong. The photon flux density decreases exactly in proportion to the sphere it is illuminating, as does the radiant heat. The eye is really good at hiding the difference in light intensities, and air requires quite a bit of heating. Irrespective, the amount of energy being disspated is identical.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 01:38
    At least your honest about it.

That's the biggest danger I see in the purely scientific approach. If we sent a probe into the sun and found God sitting on His throne at the center, science would simply label Him an alien species. Any miracles He did to prove himself would most likely be classified as technology so advanced that we can't tell what is being used. No room for God to be God.

DF
    If he transcended physical laws I doubt we'd have much say, other than to label him as god.
  5. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 04:15
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    If he transcended physical laws I doubt we'd have much say, other than to label him as god.
    That's a nice statement, but I don't see it happening in practice. Take miracles, for example. I've heard a large number of times that they are simply events we don't understand yet. No acknowledgement of God's handywork there.

DF
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 04:171 edit
    That's a nice statement, but I don't see it happening in practice. Take miracles, for example. I've heard a large number of times that they are simply events we don't understand yet. No acknowledgement of God's handywork there.

DF
    Miracles? Such as? I will, of course, require times, dates, all relevant details etc.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 04:29
    Miracles? Such as? I will, of course, require times, dates, all relevant details etc.
    Every breath you take is a miracle.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 04:47
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Every breath you take is a miracle.
    Miracle- Any phenomenon that cannot be explained by scientific reasoning.

I'll let scottishinnz explain the phenomenon of breathing (actually its not that difficult its all about air pressure with in our lungs, respiration though is a bit more complex).
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 04:49

DF
    it's interesting you say that cause a while ago my auntie came over home and was telling me about this 'miracle' that happened.

... a man married a 20 year old women when he was 32 and they started living in south africa and didn't do much for a while. to start with they just helped the people around them and then they started trying to help everyone. eventually they were running a foster home and had something like hundreds of kids in their care.

i hope i get this as correct as possible as it can be hard listening to a Christian who is getting all excited 😉. the couple came over here to NZ where the husband was preaching in a church in Auckland. well he ended up praying for this other man who had problems with his heart. my auntie even had a photocopy picture of where all the blockages were. there was one big one and a number of smaller ones. he got healed.

she wanted to know how i felt about it... so i told her i believe in miracles but at the same time i believe there would proberbly be scientific reason as to why it would happen. i guess i was trying to point out how the boundry between Christians and science may cause a lot of the good that could be found to be lost.

i told her that maybe the guy having spent a year in fear of losing his life could have done something to the blockages and then when he was standing up the front of church getting prayed for he could have really freaked out. my logic was his increased blood flow at that moment could have caused the big blockage to be dislodged, causing a flood like effect and wipping out the rest. i ain't an expert in prayer healing or being a doctor, but sometimes, yes sometimes there are scientific answers.
  10. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:13
    11/16/05

The Catholic Church has recognised as "miraculous" the case of an Italian woman who recovered from a serious illness after visiting the Christian sanctuary Lourdes in 1952.

Anna Santaniello's recovery has officially become the 67th "miracle cure" attributed to the famous French site.

Now aged 94, Santaniello had suffered from Bouillaud's disease, a rheumatic condition which causes severe speech and mobility problems, acute asthma attacks and swellings of the limbs.

Her condition cleared up after her visit. The medical committee at the sanctuary had described her case as "extraordinary" in 1961.

It's normal practice for the Catholic church to invest a large number of years researching a case before officially calling it a miracle.

Here's some info about what the doctors do who research these claims.
    http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=1252

DF
  11. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:16
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    it's interesting you say that cause a while ago my auntie came over home and was telling me about this 'miracle' that happened.

... a man married a 20 year old women when he was 32 and they started living in south africa and didn't do much ...[text shortened]... rayer healing or being a doctor, but sometimes, yes sometimes there are scientific answers.
    I agree. Sometimes there are scientific answers. And sometimes there's not. It's the not's that I'm considering miracles.

DF
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:24
    I agree. Sometimes there are scientific answers. And sometimes there's not. It's the not's that I'm considering miracles.

DF
    ohhh... i guess that would be like the time i spent a few weeks on my knees praying for rain, and then a flood comes into my house. yep.. that's a not. lol.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:291 edit

DF
    there are good and bad people in all areas of life. the worst i believe could hold connections to some churches. do you ever take the time to consider what people can do to other people with an expert knowledge in the medical world?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:31
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba

... a man married a 20 year old women when he was 32 and they started living in south africa and didn't do much ...[text shortened]... rayer healing or being a doctor, but sometimes, yes sometimes there are scientific answers.
    But if he died.... I suppose it would sciences fault.

Strange how so many theists are diposed to believe in any "healing" as evidence of a miracle.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:37
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    But if he died.... I suppose it would sciences fault.

Strange how so many theists are diposed to believe in any "healing" as evidence of a miracle.
    maybe it was a miracle he didn't die.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree