1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    24 Mar '06 05:43
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    I agree. Sometimes there are scientific answers. And sometimes there's not. It's the not's that I'm considering miracles.

    DF
    The question is "are they miracles, or just unexplained phenomena?" If you do decide that they are miracles, you then have to attribute them to something, and prove that the thing that you have attributed them to is actually the cause. For example, some dead person comes back to life - you attribute it to god, I attribute it to the flying spaghetti monster. How can one tell which is right and which is wrong? Short answer - it's impossible. The definition of a miracle is that it HAS no explanation.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    24 Mar '06 05:47
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Every breath you take is a miracle.
    Indeed, the rythmic motion of the diaphram changes the volume of the lungs (essentially because you have a defined body cavity volume filled with a liquid. When you compress or decompress one bit, you have to equal that pressure elsewhere - a bit like a balloon half-full of water, squeeze one end and the other will bulge out, except the other way around). As you increase the volume of the lungs, you lower the air pressure inside. The disparity in air pressure causes air to rush from outside to inside.

    The opposite happens when you breathe out. i.e. the diaphram moves up, compressing the lungs, reducing the volume and increasing the pressure. Air rushes out to equalise the pressure.
  3. Account suspended
    Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    1875
    24 Mar '06 05:51
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The question is "are they miracles, or just unexplained phenomena?" If you do decide that they are miracles, you then have to attribute them to something, and prove that the thing that you have attributed them to is actually the cause. For example, some dead person comes back to life - you attribute it to god, I attribute it to the flying spaghetti mo ...[text shortened]... Short answer - it's impossible. The definition of a miracle is that it HAS no explanation.
    it is interesting you say that cause if all those same people and that man i talked about who got healed had exactly the same belief in the FSM as God then the results would proberbly be the same. nobody believes in FSM, 'unless you made some recent converts' cause he/she ain't real... God is.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    24 Mar '06 05:51
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    maybe it was a miracle he didn't die.
    and how many millions in the same situation would have died. Statistics are just that way - for every one that lives, many more die. Not a miracle, just a statistical blimp.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    24 Mar '06 05:52
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    [real] God is.
    prove it.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    1875
    24 Mar '06 05:58
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    prove it.
    ... love.
  7. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    3711
    24 Mar '06 16:23
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Same amount of heat is emmited BUT the intensity is less when you 10ft away. You are not sensitive enough to detect the heat at such a low intensity.
    If a place becomes brighter, generally, it will become hotter. It depends on the intensity and the type of light being emmited (some light has different energy levels).
    There you go. It is possible for a place to get brighter without getter proportionally hotter. That was my long winded point.

    DF
  8. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    3711
    24 Mar '06 16:29
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The question is "are they miracles, or just unexplained phenomena?" If you do decide that they are miracles, you then have to attribute them to something, and prove that the thing that you have attributed them to is actually the cause. For example, some dead person comes back to life - you attribute it to god, I attribute it to the flying spaghetti mo ...[text shortened]... Short answer - it's impossible. The definition of a miracle is that it HAS no explanation.
    And thus if a probe found God in the middle of the sun, science wouldn't call Him God. They'd give Him a name, like alien species, and attribute the things He does that defy our explaination on something else, like advanced technology. After all, He's not God, He's just an alien species, right?

    DF
  9. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    3711
    24 Mar '06 16:33
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    and how many millions in the same situation would have died. Statistics are just that way - for every one that lives, many more die. Not a miracle, just a statistical blimp.
    That's the problem with science. It has to give a label to everything so it can deal with it. And in doing so, it leaves no room for God.
    You keep saying if God proved Himself you'd believe in Him. But you can give a label to anything He can do, and if you can label it you don't consider it anything special (maybe unknown yet, but only unknown for now). And so you will never believe in God because you won't allow yourself to think outside of the scientific box.

    DF
  10. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    25 Mar '06 00:30
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    There you go. It is possible for a place to get brighter without getter proportionally hotter. That was my long winded point.

    DF
    Getting back to the point. If the sun was seven times brighter, this would imply that the sun was much larger, or that the earth was much closer to the sun. Consequently, the atmospheric temperature of Earth would augment substantially (ever looked at the photos of Venus or Mercury?) and hell would be cooler then heaven .

    And anyway, heat and light are the same thing. If you have more light, you will have more heat. FACT. With the globe, you can detect optical light but you can't discern infr-red light (heat) with your eyes and neither is your skin receptive enough to feel the heat.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    25 Mar '06 00:43
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    That's the problem with science. It has to give a label to everything so it can deal with it. And in doing so, it leaves no room for God.
    You keep saying if God proved Himself you'd believe in Him. But you can give a label to anything He can do, and if you can label it you don't consider it anything special (maybe unknown yet, but only unknown for now) ...[text shortened]... elieve in God because you won't allow yourself to think outside of the scientific box.

    DF
    Yes, the wish to understand our entire existance and everything in it is, indeed, the major drawback in science. One I can happily live with though - sure beats the hell out of ignorance.
  12. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    3711
    27 Mar '06 20:09
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yes, the wish to understand our entire existance and everything in it is, indeed, the major drawback in science. One I can happily live with though - sure beats the hell out of ignorance.
    While I agree that knowledge is always better than ignorance, we have to be careful about putting limits on what we allow ourselves to learn.

    DF
  13. Joined
    25 Oct '05
    Moves
    4084
    27 Mar '06 20:24
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    it is interesting you say that cause if all those same people and that man i talked about who got healed had exactly the same belief in the FSM as God then the results would proberbly be the same. nobody believes in FSM, 'unless you made some recent converts' cause he/she ain't real... God is.
    people do believe:
    http://www.venganza.org/

    so there.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    27 Mar '06 20:25
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If you were to die on me right know where would you go?
    I now I wudna stay on you long
  15. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    3711
    28 Mar '06 17:20
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    there are good and bad people in all areas of life. the worst i believe could hold connections to some churches. do you ever take the time to consider what people can do to other people with an expert knowledge in the medical world?
    I'm afraid I don't follow your question, Kabooomba.

    DF
Back to Top