1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 06:58
    When KellyJay is criticized even by other fundamentalists, and he still doesn't get it...
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 13:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I do not know whether the universe has a beginning. Scientifically, we have no evidence either way. If there was a beginning ie time is finite in the past, then the cause/effect system does not apply. We may still ask about 'reasons' but they would be in another dimension and would really have nothing to do with the beginning of the universe. It would ju ...[text shortened]... st, it merely changes the nature of what is here, the 'why is it here' remains unanswered.
    Invoking God by me or invoking another dimension by you, I don't
    see the difference since both acknowledge the universe we see around
    us cannot have come up by itself.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 13:18
    I see you are peddling your old 'time degrades evidence' claim. What amazes me is that you believe the sun exists as you have never in your life actually seen light from it that was less than 2 minutes old - definitely not the here and now. Is the existence of the sun simply our best guess work?
    Do you think I might not exists as my post never reach you ...[text shortened]... ears old? Surely that is not in the here and now and has been degrading for over 2000 years!
    Simply put if you do not know how it all started, you don't know from
    what point to start measuring from. It isn't a matter of the Bible giving
    me any insight into time, it is a matter of not knowing how the process
    began.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 13:20
    Time is a dimension and an integral part of the universe. I personally cannot visualize time existing on its own or without the spacial dimensions. How would you measure it if there were no events?

By 'eternal' do you mean 'infinite in the time dimension'?

When you suggest the existence of God before the beginning of the universe, do you also sugges ...[text shortened]... then can he be measured in time, as we know that time is relative to the location in space?
    In "nothing" I don't see time being real, but like you I believe as soon
    as anything or one is, we have before, during, and after taking place.
    Kelly
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 17:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Invoking God by me or invoking another dimension by you, I don't
    see the difference since both acknowledge the universe we see around
    us cannot have come up by itself.
    Kelly
    Neither 'acknowledge' any such thing. They merely try to answer (and fail to do so) the apparent problem of finite causal chains.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:23
    Simply put if you do not know how it all started, you don't know from
    what point to start measuring from. It isn't a matter of the Bible giving
    me any insight into time, it is a matter of not knowing how the process
    began.
    Kelly
    I don't understand your comments here, nor do I see how they are relevant to the post I am replying to. I fully admit that I have no idea how the universe began nor whether it began. I can guess at two basic scenarios, a) it began at the big bang or b) it is older than that.

My comments however were addressing your age old argument that all our knowledge of history is little more than a 'best guess' with all 'best guess's essentially equivalent and that the 'here and now' is somehow more knowable.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:27
    In "nothing" I don't see time being real, but like you I believe as soon
    as anything or one is, we have before, during, and after taking place.
    Kelly
    I don't think you are answering the questions.
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 20:58
    1. We do know what happened in history the Bible tells us.
    2. The Earth did start because we are on it.
    3. If nothing was the beginning how did anything start, did something come out of nothing?
  9. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:09
    Originally posted by daniel58
    1. We do know what happened in history the Bible tells us.
    2. The Earth did start because we are on it.
    3. If nothing was the beginning how did anything start, did something come out of nothing?
    1. How do we know the Bible is correct? Is it that the Bible tells us so?
    2. "The Earth did start because we are on it." ...is an example of question begging.
    3. None of us know the answer to this. The main thing that distinguishes us as groups is whether or not we have decided to wrap the unknown in a nice narrative bundle, with ribon and a label with the word 'god' on it.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 00:43
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    1. How do we know the Bible is correct? Is it that the Bible tells us so?
    2. "The Earth did start because we are on it." ...is an example of question begging.
    3. None of us know the answer to this. The main thing that distinguishes us as groups is whether or not we have decided to wrap the unknown in a nice narrative bundle, with ribon and a label with the word 'god' on it.
    ouch!thats gotta sting.you meanie lord shark
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 03:213 edits
    I don't understand your comments here, nor do I see how they are relevant to the post I am replying to. I fully admit that I have no idea how the universe began nor whether it began. I can guess at two basic scenarios, a) it began at the big bang or b) it is older than that.

My comments however were addressing your age old argument that all our knowled best guess's essentially equivalent and that the 'here and now' is somehow more knowable.
    If we do not know how or why it started our judgments about the
    whole process are very suspect don't you think? At best we have
    nothing but a glimpse into the reality we find ourselves in, nothing
    more in the here and now, but our assumptions about what we see
    and why we see it are very strong beliefs when thinking about the
    beginning.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 03:22
    I don't think you are answering the questions.
    Restate them, I'll try again.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 03:431 edit
    Same procedure as always. If he cannot answer a question, he stalls, he avoids, and he hopse that the question will be forgotten so he will be off the hook.

How about dinos on the ark of Noah, KJ, you are the only one who believes that dinosaurs were vegetarians before the great flooding. You are the only one thinking that every known species of dinosaurs, T-Rex included, strolled around together with elephants, giraffes, and kangarus on the ark, no hurting anyone. Remember that this question is unanswered?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 05:47
    If we do not know how or why it started our judgments about the
    whole process are very suspect don't you think? At best we have
    nothing but a glimpse into the reality we find ourselves in, nothing
    more in the here and now, but our assumptions about what we see
    and why we see it are very strong beliefs when thinking about the
    beginning.
    Kelly
    Not so at all. Is see no reason why knowledge of a beginning should affect any other aspect of our knowledge whatsoever. Does it show that our knowledge is incomplete? Of course it does, but that has never and will never be under dispute. Even if you think you know how it all started, you don't claim to have complete knowledge of the universe and God, so doesn't that make your judgments very suspect? Yet you don't walk around the house as if the roof might fall on your head at any moment do you? Incomplete knowledge does not equal no knowledge nor does it imply inaccurate knowledge. I may not know the precise events surrounding how the solar system was formed but that does not affect my ability to determine where my grandfather was born. You on the other hand would like to claim that my lack of knowledge of the earths early stages renders all my knowledge of the past a 'best guess' and no better than your 'best guess' despite the fact that you don't even know the name of my grandfather.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 05:53
    Restate them, I'll try again.
    Kelly
    1. What do you mean by 'eternal'?

You claimed that time precedes the universe.
    2. Does space precede the universe?
    3. If yes to 2. why is this extension of space time not considered part of the universe?
    4. If no, then is time meaningful without space?
    5. Is God in time, ie does he do things according to a timeline, or is he independent of time?
    6. If yes to 5, doesn't relativity and the fact that God can affect any point in space contradict that to some extent?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree