In the beginning God or nothing?

In the beginning God or nothing?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
I don't see why!
Our lives can be an example, lives looking at just our bodies are
systems each unto themselves. There was a time before we were born,
there is a time while we are a live, and there is time afterwards, time
and its passage plays a part of all that goes on within our lives, but
it doesn't mean it never started until we were born, we may ...[text shortened]... y important while we are alive, and our beginnings is the starting
point but thats it.
Kelly
But your definition of the universe seemed to include all time. Did I misunderstand your definition? Clearly the definition of a human life does not include all time, so it doesn't really work as an analogy.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 09

Eternal means forever, time is part of that, if something is there
doing anything before, during, after apply don't you think?
Kelly
Sorry, I still don't understand you. Are you saying that 'all time' is a subset of eternal, or 'all time' is equivalent to eternal, or eternal means something altogether different?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 09

I'm saying it is comparing apples to oranges, I believe the universe
has a beginning, God does not.
Kelly
But how do you know whether the universe is an apple or an orange? When making your claim that everything must have a cause and other similar claims that you have applied to the universe, you did not state that it is a universe specific claim, nor did you explain why it applies to the universe but not other entities such as God. You instead argued them as if they were self evidently applicable to anything.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

They are, Time is different than eternity

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 09

I have already said, even according to your definition of how the
universe came to be, from the stand point of what ever started the
universe there was a before, during, and afterwards from when the
universe started. You seem to be hung up on it only matters from
the perspective of within the universe itself, which isn't taking it all
into account.
Kelly
No, I am not taking any specific standpoint. Your definition implies the impossibility or illogicality of claiming a 'before' the universe. That leads to the conclusion that either time has no beginning, or your rule about there always being a before is incorrect.
You must either change your definition, or admit that your argument violates your definition.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

There always was a before the earth started that was eternity, then the earth started that's time.

Moves
26 Jun 09

Originally posted by daniel58
There always was a before the earth started that was eternity, then the earth started that's time.
Fundybot

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

Not a word.

Moves
26 Jun 09

Not a word.
It is now. I just typed it. The meaning is a computer program which produces fundamentalist christian posts.

It's just that some of your posts seem...almost algorithmic.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

No your posts do, mine rest on facts

Moves
26 Jun 09

No your posts do, mine rest on facts
You say they rest on facts. It is much easier to say that than to back it up though.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

I've already backed it up, this discussion is going nowhere, I've already proved you wrong.

Moves
26 Jun 09

I've already backed it up, this discussion is going nowhere, I've already proved you wrong.
I agree about the second part, it is getting a bit like skittles. On the third part, you have provided no evidence that you have the first clue about the notion of 'proof'. The first part, the declaration that you have backed anything up is as implausible as the rest of your world view.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

You STILL can't prove that.

Moves
26 Jun 09

You STILL can't prove that.
Prove it.