1. Australia
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 00:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    No evidence for it? I dont think so, all the evidence is there, the point
    is if it means what we think it does.
    Kelly
    Bump for KJ:

Try hard not to side step and actually answer the question.

What evidence for ID do you believe is credible?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 09:09
    We are talking design the laws/forces of the universe can give us
    patterns, things can just happen like snow flakes and rock layers and
    so on, basically not hard see these are just the universe doing what it
    does with the parts within it.
    The idea behind ID takes things beyond what could happen with just
    those laws of the universe, you just do not see ...[text shortened]... g with things like our houses, and a linty of other
    things that get built by living creatures.
    So are you claiming that living things are not part of the universe? Are you claiming that there is something identifiably unique about patterns created by living things? Can you define it or is it just a feeling? Do these designs you have identified as being cause by rudimentary intelligence also indicate consciousness? What do you mean by intelligence?

I'm amazed that you HAVE to bringing God into this discussion, it is almost like you have to use God to dismiss ID altogether. I don’t see why you do that either if you can accept bird nests, ant hills, and other things are built why do you think ID is such a subject of taboo? It cannot be true unless God did it in your view?
    I don't think you are amazed at all. I think you expected it. I didn't have to bring God into the discussion, but you know perfectly well why I did.
    I don't actually think there is anything about a birds nest that does indicate intelligent design.

Really, it is ridiculous why? If you accept living creatures do build, with
    limited intelligence and greater intelligence what makes that
    hypothesis ridiculous? We have agreed even a limited intelligence can
    build with ID, so what is so ridiculous? Is it simply because it could
    possibly go against your core beliefs that make it ridiculous to you?
    On the face of it all I don’t see any reason to say such a thing except
    for that reason given all the things we have agreed on so far.
    Kelly

You didn't understand what I said. (or chose not to).
    To give an example. We do not know how snow flakes form. They are clearly very complex, very beautiful etc. A prime candidate for intelligent design. Yet you yourself have quite easily dismissed them as being able to happen according to the laws of nature? Why?
    I will tell you why. Because you know of a better explanation and you agree with me that ID is not the best explanation. The only reason you have for not agreeing with the 'best' explanation for life and its properties is because it conflicts with your religious beliefs. For ID to be a reasonable explanation you must first reject evolution and about half of current science along with it. And you must give good reasons for doing so.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 May '08 01:19
    You must make it into something other than science, you cannot
    just look at the questions being asked for the sake of getting the
    answers correct?
    Kelly
    First, the questions have to make sense.

But sure, anyone can look at those questions, but a high school SCIENCE classroom isn't the place to do it, since the answers fall short of science's standards of proof.
  4. Australia
    Moves
    06 May '08 07:31
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    First, the questions have to make sense.

But sure, anyone can look at those questions, but a high school SCIENCE classroom isn't the place to do it, since the answers fall short of science's standards of proof.
    Although I agree that ID should not be taught in a science classroom as a valid theory to the origins of life, I don't see a problem with using it as an example of "bad" science i.e. something that claims to have evidence for itself when no valid predictions and tests have been performed.

Examples of bad science came from many areas during my undergraduate degree, this seems like a perfect one to use.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 May '08 07:38
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Although I agree that ID should not be taught in a science classroom as a valid theory to the origins of life, I don't see a problem with using it as an example of "bad" science i.e. something that claims to have evidence for itself when no valid predictions and tests have been performed.

Examples of bad science came from many areas during my undergraduate degree, this seems like a perfect one to use.
    I'd probably support its discussion in a first year undergraduate paper. Certainly, I'd run an honours year seminar course on this type of non-science. However, I maintain that a high school classroom isn't the place.
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 May '08 12:25
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I'd probably support its discussion in a first year undergraduate paper. Certainly, I'd run an honours year seminar course on this type of non-science. However, I maintain that a high school classroom isn't the place.
    I think that the philosophy of science is very important and should be taught in high school. Critical thinking should be a part of the core curriculum, otherwise you end up with the general public buying into all sorts of unjustified rubbish.

ID would be a excellent subject of a 'compare and contrast' exercise.

In the absence of any dedicated course on this, I think the science class is the next-best place.

--- Penguin.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 May '08 13:22
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I think that the philosophy of science is very important and [b]should be taught in high school. Critical thinking should be a part of the core curriculum, otherwise you end up with the general public buying into all sorts of unjustified rubbish.

ID would be a excellent subject of a 'compare and contrast' exercise.

In the absence of any dedicated course on this, I think the science class is the next-best place.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    I can see your point, but I remember what my high school science education was like. Maybe there was a class right at the start in my second year of high school, I don't remember, that covered the philosophy of science, but I do remember I was more interested in learning about kidney function!!
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    07 May '08 22:052 edits
    It isn't that it has nothing to do with science, it just reaches a
    conclusion and science never does that.
    Kelly
    Hi Kelly

You're absolutely right. Intelligent design looks at a fragment of the available evidence, draws a conclusion that fits the religious and political needs of its proponents, and then refuses to consider any contrary evidence or refutations that might weaken its conclusions.

Science is more open than that. Science uses the best available conclusions but, if faced with new evidence, new theories must be formulated. Science is capable of progressing to new conclusions.

Have you crawled out of Spirituality in search of new victims for your tedious arguments?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 May '08 14:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So my question to you is:
    Why do you think "Intelligence" when you see "design"? Clearly neither birds nor ants are particularly intelligent, yet birds nests and ant hills are quite clearly designed. The whole premise of ID is that you know what you are looking for (intelligence) and you look for evidence for it. If an ID person saw an ant hill and did n ...[text shortened]... ting evidence or that it is the best hypothesis for the observed facts is simply ridiculous.
    You do not get design without intelligence since design means that
    something was done with purpose, hence by design! You again care
    more about what something could imply instead of just what the
    evidence may suggest, you cannot say there isn't any evidence you
    can say evidence may not mean what I think it does. My point being
    when the cars were being discussed; I asked if people could see
    design in a car, the replies were telling! "I can see the factory, I can
    see the blue prints, I can talk to the engineers" all of this had nothing
    to do with the car itself, almost all the answers had nothing to do with
    the car and what we could glean by looking at them. The car was
    removed from the point of interest, which is what you and others here
    are doing with life, you want the factory, you want the blue prints,
    you want to talk to the engineer, and you are refusing to look to look
    at the car, or in this case life just to see if on the face of things you
    can see design in the car or in life.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 May '08 17:39
    when the cars were being d ...[text shortened]... e life just to see if on the face of things you
    Kelly
    To appear design must seem like thought behind yes? Many thing in nature appear design. Throw rock in water. It fall random yes? Yet could be look like design if land right. How you no is design and no random if you no throw rock?
  11. Australia
    Moves
    08 May '08 23:341 edit
    when the cars were being d e life just to see if on the face of things you
    Kelly
    Car:
    Yes I see design, because the subcomponents of a car have no natural affinity to each other so could not have formed spontaneous bonds to form a more complex object. Yes I see design, because the car is not living and has no way of reproducing other cars by itself. Yes I see design, because the car has no code capable of mutation, recombination etc to produce variation at each generation to achieve its complexity.

Life:
    No I see no design, the subcomponents have a natural affinity to each other to form spontaneous bonds. Life has the ability to reproduce. Life has a genetic code capable of recombination and mutation to produce variation which has driven first life to the complex organisms we see today.

So you are now trying to drive this pointless analogy in two threads, open your eyes KJ...... cars and life are not appropriate comparisons for a discusssion about ID. One clearly shows design (the car) we do not need a factory / blueprints / technicians to recognise this, one does not (life).
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '08 08:38
    something was done with purpose, hence by design!
    Then you are contradicting yourself. You claimed that birds nests and anthills were clearly designed yet neither birds not ants are particularly intelligent.
    I think the problem with our discussion is that you have not really defined the key words: 'design' and 'intelligent' and keep changing them to suit your argument.

My point being when the cars were being discussed; I asked if people could see design in a car, the replies were telling! "I can see the factory, I can see the blue prints, I can talk to the engineers" all of this had nothing to do with the car itself, almost all the answers had nothing to do with the car and what we could glean by looking at them. The car was
    removed from the point of interest, which is what you and others here
    are doing with life, you want the factory, you want the blue prints,
    you want to talk to the engineer, and you are refusing to look to look
    at the car, or in this case life just to see if on the face of things you
    Kelly

In fact that works against your argument. You too have not provided any reason whatsoever to see design in a car. You simply assume it. You do the same with life. Can you give one property of a car which indicates design other than your own personal incredulity?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 May '08 12:10
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    To appear design must seem like thought behind yes? Many thing in nature appear design. Throw rock in water. It fall random yes? Yet could be look like design if land right. How you no is design and no random if you no throw rock?
    If you cannot tell, I guess you will never see evidence in a brick house
    or a book either.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 May '08 12:15
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Car:
    Yes I see design, because the subcomponents of a car have no natural affinity to each other so could not have formed spontaneous bonds to form a more complex object. Yes I see design, because the car is not living and has no way of reproducing other cars by itself. Yes I see design, because the car has no code capable of mutation, recombination etc ...[text shortened]... car) we do not need a factory / blueprints / technicians to recognise this, one does not (life).
    That may not be true, but you say it as if it were, and that alone
    makes you ignore what could be design in life? So you see what
    you want, and ignore what could also be true! What you see in life
    are systems far more complex than those in a car, what you assume
    is that they came together over time by themselves and no design
    was ever required.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 May '08 12:221 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Then you are contradicting yourself. You claimed that birds nests and anthills were clearly designed yet neither birds not ants are particularly intelligent.
    I think the problem with our discussion is that you have not really defined the key words: 'design' and 'intelligent' and keep changing them to suit your argument.

[b]My point being when the cars ive one property of a car which indicates design other than your own personal incredulity?
    [/b]Yes, look at the parts and how they are put together and work
    together doing different things, but these things combined get
    the car functioning as a means of transportation. Look at life it
    too has various systems and they do different things, but working
    together to get if functioning. Look at the car it has temperature
    regulation on some of its parts, life does too, the list is endless
    nearly, yet for you, where is the factory and engineer? Look at
    the car there are start stop mechanisms in it besides even the
    breaks, look at life in a much more complex manner it does too
    and the list goes on and can go on if you want more.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree