Is consciousness an illusion?

Is consciousness an illusion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
284d

@kellyjay said
When we see things that are dependent upon each other existing, we know what made that possible had to transcend time. Since they can’t have come into being independently in some sequence of events without both being there simultaneously.
You make two plucked-out-of-thin-air assertions here, neither of which you have ever got anywhere near substantiating. How many more plucked-out-of-thin-air assertions are built upon this foundation?

K
within reason

Moves
284d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Unmitigated nonsense.
Your protest may be premature. You could have asked "what does that mean", but the default response to anything not understood appears to be "you're lying" or "that's nonsense." All you accomplish by saying "unmitigated nonsense" is to give the troll twins an opportunity to pile on.

F

Moves
283d

@kilroy70 said
Your protest may be premature. You could have asked "what does that mean", but the default response to anything not understood appears to be "you're lying" or "that's nonsense." All you accomplish by saying "unmitigated nonsense" is to give the troll twins an opportunity to pile on.
I have invited KellyJay to substantiate his assertions.

K
within reason

Moves
283d

@fmf said
I have invited KellyJay to substantiate his assertions.
You said to KJ, "You make two plucked-out-of-thin-air assertions here"
I invite you to explain what those assertions were.

F

Moves
283d

@kilroy70 said
Just go back and read the post of his I was replying to.

mlb62

Moves
282d

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a44269774/holographic-universe/

new article by Cosmologists and Astrophysicists Do we live in a Hologram ?

Über-Nerd

Moves
282d
2 edits

@kilroy70 said
Assumption 1: When we see things that are dependent upon each other existing, we know what made that possible had to transcend time.

Assumption 2: Since they can’t have come into being independently in some sequence of events without both being there simultaneously.

Quoted from KellyJay's post.

Imagine that someone who had never seen a board game being played is watching two chess players. KJ's assumptions are like saying that just because one chess player's move responds to his opponent's move, and the observer can't see the connection between the first move and the second one, therefore something transcendent is required to explain this. It's humbug.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
282d
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Another hit and run?
How were my comments a hit and run?

I made a post to which there was no reply. How do you know I wasn't sitting in the car with the engine still running?

A hit and run thread is when the creator makes the initial OP and is then too cowardly to return to the thread to deal with responses.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
282d

@kilroy70 said
Unmitigated nonsense.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
282d

@moonbus said
Assumption 1: When we see things that are dependent upon each other existing, we know what made that possible had to transcend time.

Assumption 2: Since they can’t have come into being independently in some sequence of events without both being there simultaneously.

Imagine that someone who had never seen a board game being played is wat ...[text shortened]... move and the second one, therefore something transcendent is required to explain this. It's humbug.
If you don't know the game moving the pieces isn't meaningful, if life is meaningless then doing this that or the other thing is no more important than doing it one way or another. Seeing things dependent upon each other for their existence means for them to exist the other must also be there, so sequentially they had to arrive at the same time.

K
within reason

Moves
282d
2 edits

@moonbus said

Imagine that someone who had never seen a board game being played is wat ...[text shortened]... move and the second one, therefore something transcendent is required to explain this. It's humbug.
If I was that "someone who had never seen a board game being played" and was "watching two chess players", I would not assume there was no meaningful connection between moves and responses.
For your example to work I would have to be completely unaware of the existence of the two chess players.

K
within reason

Moves
281d
1 edit

@moonbus said

Time is linear and moves in only one direction. It doesn't back up to allow for a second or third cause and effect event appearing to coexist with a previous one.

K
within reason

Moves
281d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
How were my comments a hit and run?

I made a post to which there was no reply. How do you know I wasn't sitting in the car with the engine still running?

A hit and run thread is when the creator makes the initial OP and is then too cowardly to return to the thread to deal with responses.
What's happening here? Did a brawl break out in some other thread, spill out onto the street and into this thread? Guess I'll just have to wait until you cowboys are done brawling or take your fight to another thread... or sober up.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
281d

@kilroy70 said
What's happening here? Did a brawl break out in some other thread, spill out onto the street and into this thread? Guess I'll just have to wait until you cowboys are done brawling or take your fight to another thread... or sober up.
Ghost of a Duke is talking to you, about you and what you’ve said in this thread.

K
within reason

Moves
281d

@divegeester said
Ghost of a Duke is talking to you, about you and what you’ve said in this thread.
Poppycock