1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 20:161 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Right. So what sort you are is now fairly clear. You are not some mere hickish ignoramus (at least, not exclusively), you're one of "those." Huh. I sure hope you aren't breeding. If you are, I feel sorry for the kids.
    Sooo apart from having no knowledge of anything within a Biblical context with the
    exception of your self certified opinions gleaned from your room full of mirrors, your
    now a super nanny. Dude, here is a piece of advice for you, Stay away from my Kids!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    educated people are given the statistics less likely to follow a certain faith then those without a higher eduction?
    Perhaps because higher education is largely secular; colleges have a culture of irresponsible drinking and promiscuous sex; and, atheism accommodates all this. It would be interesting to see whether religious tertiary institutes offered the same rigor in their programs and produced the same number of atheists.

I respect that many young educated people change their religious commitments on perfectly legitimate grounds (I would like to include myself here) but I doubt that most students are atheists out of extensive analysis of theological problems. It is just the default position of their university culture.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 21:45
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Wahey 2+2 = 4...look at that my cone headed friend!!! "2" looks nothing like a "4", but add two of them together and "4" is what you get!!!

All this maths and science malarkey that thick as pigchit fundies like you don't understand must operate by magic! ;]
    Man has created the symbols and rules of math for our understanding.
    But how did the laws that make math and science work together come
    about, if God did not create them?
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 22:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sooo apart from having no knowledge of anything within a Biblical context with the
    exception of your self certified opinions gleaned from your room full of mirrors, your
    now a super nanny. Dude, here is a piece of advice for you, Stay away from my Kids!
    Down, boy, down. Here -- take your meds.....attaboy...
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 22:17
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Perhaps because higher education is largely secular; colleges have a culture of irresponsible drinking and promiscuous sex; and, atheism accommodates all this. It would be interesting to see whether religious tertiary institutes offered the same rigor in their programs and produced the same number of atheists.

I respect that many young educated people ch ...[text shortened]... e analysis of theological problems. It is just the default position of their university culture.
    i'm sure many college students claim to have seen god during their 'irresponsible drinking and promiscuous sex' days 😉
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '11 22:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Man has created the symbols and rules of math for our understanding.
    But how did the laws that make math and science work together come
    about, if God did not create them?
    Your answer is for a "who" question, but you are asking a "how" question. Try answering the same question you want others to answer.

Besides, math and science work together because we fit the math to the observations. If it doesn't work, we check the observations and if needed, change the math. This happens all the time.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 02:34
    Originally posted by JS357
    Your answer is for a "who" question, but you are asking a "how" question. Try answering the same question you want others to answer.

Besides, math and science work together because we fit the math to the observations. If it doesn't work, we check the observations and if needed, change the math. This happens all the time.
    The answer is simple to me, God did it for the Bible tells me so.
    Therefore, the how He did it becomes irrelevant, because I know
    the source. It may be something beyond human ability to
    understand; but God knows. We know from the Holy Bible that
    God ceated man in His image. So we also have the ability to create
    on a much smaller scale. Man has created many inventions that
    we know were not created by God. Most of us don't know or even
    care how man invented the televison. Most of us are content to
    just enjoy it. My observation of the Sun and the moon and the plants
    and the animals and man fits in with the biblical account very well.
    So if it works, don't fix it.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 04:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The answer is simple to me, God did it for the Bible tells me so.
    Therefore, the how He did it becomes irrelevant, because I know
    the source. It may be something beyond human ability to
    understand; but God knows. We know from the Holy Bible that
    God ceated man in His image. So we also have the ability to create
    on a much smaller scale. Man has creat ...[text shortened]... he animals and man fits in with the biblical account very well.
    So if it works, don't fix it.
    Fine by me. I just don't see why you ask people to answer "how" questions if you don't really care about them being answered. It seems false to me.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 07:29
    Originally posted by Conrau K

I respect that many young educated people ch ...[text shortened]... e analysis of theological problems. It is just the default position of their university culture.
    I went to University in Zambia, which is a largely Christian country. I would guess that the vast majority of students would have claimed to be Christian.
    There was however plenty of extensive drinking and promiscuous sex. It was a well known fact that the worst behaved girls had come from religious boarding schools.
    The best behaved students were well behaved more because of their culture than their beliefs, though I realize that culture is strongly tied to religion.

I certainly don't think anyone would 'choose' to become atheist in order to get drunk.
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 08:53
    educated people are given the statistics less likely to follow a certain faith then those without a higher eduction?
    As the English say there are lies,damned lies and statistics. Many who are not highly educated are quite logical and posses a high level of common sense, apart from a decision making ability which many learned people lack. One's faith has nothing to do with one's education. It may be worthwhile to conduct a survey as to the percentage of former atheists among the mad and the suicides.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 09:58
    If true, it must be just a coincidence.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 10:36
    no its not the end of the debate,

killing millions of unborn innocents through abortion is barbaric, in the Mosaic law, the unborn was protected,

incarcerating millions of criminals without giving them the chance to make reparation is barbaric, the mosaic law made provision for this

force feeding helpless animals in food farms is barbaric, ...[text shortened]... read which states that a persons hand should be cut off for stealing, reparation was to be made.
    Let's pick this apart.

How can these two statements from you be reconciled?

too right, you roger another mans wife, you die, you roger a beast, you die, you are disrespectful to your parents, you die, you go about rogering other men, you die, what of it?

and then two posts later -

No, i am not an advocate of capital punishment

Secondly, you ask for my examples which i give and then you completely ignore them. Is it any wonder numerous posters accuse you of intellectual dishonesty? So again, Deuteronomy 13:6-12. In your view is razing a village to the ground after killing every person in it, no doubt women and children included, barbaric? A simple yay or nay will suffice.

I already know what's coming. I long winded post where you blather anything and everything in which you do your best to not answer the question posed.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Let's pick this apart.

too right, you roger another mans wife, you die, you roger a beast, you die, you are disrespectful to your parents, you die, you go about rogering other men, you die, what of it?

[quote]No, i am not an advocate of capital pun ou blather anything and everything in which you do your best to not answer the question posed.
    First of all i have been accused on many things, i even kept a list, intellectual dishonesty is not the first nor the last, it of course is not a reflection of me, but of those who use it to accuse others, for its , 'at the man', not the actual arguments that he is professing. Not only that, but in the case of apostasy, i even stated that there was community responsibility, in that the community is held responsible to make sure that it does not surface. whether that is just, or not i cannot say, i am not a God, the fact that it is mandated in the Mosiac Law and the penalties are severe demonstrates the seriousness of its nature.

In your opinion it is barbaric, that is fine, i myself did not make the law, nor am i under a system that advocates it, so why are you suggesting that i am? This is the greatest failing, for you fail to discern that these mandates were peculiar to the nation of Israel and that it was for a temporary period of time only. God cannot have apostasy affecting his chosen people at that time, for he was creating an environment for the messiah to be accepted and on the basis of that, render a judgement, that is why the penalties were so harsh, that is why they seem so severe to us, but you cannot see that, for as Freaky mentioned you are content to cherry pick the ones that you do not like and ignore the ones that would force you to admit that they make practical sense. Under such circumstances i resent therefore the term, intellectually dishonest, for each and every one of your claims has been addressed, with reference (which went ignored by Agers, but i did not complain)
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 14:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Let's pick this apart.

[quote]No, i am not an advocate of capital pun ...[text shortened]... ou blather anything and everything in which you do your best to not answer the question posed.
    What is the difference between "intellectual dishonesty" and "lying"?
    Is everyone calling him a liar?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 16:38
    First of all i have been accused on many things, i even kept a list, intellectual dishonesty is not the first nor the last, it of course is not a reflection of me, but of those who use it to accuse others, for its , 'at the man', not the actual arguments that he is professing. Not only that, but in the case of apostasy, i even stated that there was ...[text shortened]... laims has been addressed, with reference (which went ignored by Agers, but i did not complain)
    Let's clear this chestnut and side issue up to start with. Some of the Mosaic Laws make practical sense. Now there is no need to bring the issue of 'cherry picking' up again.

I'll remind you off my statement when i first entered this debate -

Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole host of punishments as barbaric as you could imagine.

You asked me for examples and i backed them up with scripture. Killing people including children, burning people to death, chopping women's hands off and razing whole villages to the ground after killing everyone in it are the examples.

In your opinion it is barbaric, that is fine, i myself did not make the law, nor am i under a system that advocates it, so why are you suggesting that i am?

Not just my opinion. But i would think anyone with a microgram of humanity would agree the punishments i outlined above are barbaric. Now the question again to you is, do you think the punishments outlined above are barbaric. Yes or no?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree