1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:35
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I.e. not until you have had bullied out of you every last shred of common sense, not until your mind is just a dimly lit cesspool of theistic bullchit choked up so full with dust and noxious vapor that any light of reason is completely diffused, not until you have the reasoning capacity of an ostrich will one be ready to receive the truth.

Well you can take your "truth" mr Hinds and shove it where the `sun don't shine'
    My, my, aren't you testy today. You must be starving for spirituality.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:471 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My, my, aren't you testy today. You must be starving for spirituality.
    No.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 15:081 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]chopping peoples hands off? where was that written?

Not peoples. Women's. I gave you the quote earlier. Here it is again, Deuteronomy 25:11-12

[quote]If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. o the ground after killing all men, women and children. Barbaric, yes or no?[/b]
    first of all you are asking me to question Gods justice, after using my powers of reasoning and discernment i have concluded that as a mere human, prone to aberration and limited in life span and thus experience, who am i to question Gods mandates. Shall i instruct God on how he shall exercise justice? Not a chance. There is no contradiction, no discrepancy.

I do not accept your feeble excuses that a foetus is not a life, its life in every sense of the word, to take it and deny the child of life is as equally heinous as any perceived in scripture. If that is not barbaric then neither are any ordinance in the Mosaic law.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 15:10
    Originally posted by Agerg
    No.
    touchy touchy touchy Aggy waggy!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 15:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    first of all you are asking me to question Gods justice, after using my powers of reasoning and discernment i have concluded that as a mere human, prone to aberration and limited in life span and thus experience, who am i to question Gods mandates. Shall i instruct God on how he shall exercise justice? Not a chance. There is no contradiction, no discrepancy.
    So if the same laws were in the Quran, or some law books from North Korea, would you judge them barbaric?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 15:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So if the same laws were in the Quran, or some law books from North Korea, would you judge them barbaric?
    Well that depends on the nature of the Laws.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 10:07
    first of all you are asking me to question Gods justice, after using my powers of reasoning and discernment i have concluded that as a mere human, prone to aberration and limited in life span and thus experience, who am i to question Gods mandates. Shall i instruct God on how he shall exercise justice? Not a chance. There is no contradiction, no di ...[text shortened]... rceived in scripture. If that is not barbaric then neither are any ordinance in the Mosaic law.
    first of all you are asking me to question Gods justice

No, i'm asking you whether you think razing whole villages to the ground after killing all men, women, children and livestock within them is barbaric?

Have you heard of the Gikondo massacre? It was one of the acts of severe brutality committed during the Rwandan genocide. 110 men, women and children who were hiding in a church were clubbed and hacked to death. Would you say that was barbaric?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gikondo_massacre
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 12:07
    [b]first of all you are asking me to question Gods justice

No, i'm asking you whether you think razing whole villages to the ground after killing all men, women, children and livestock within them is barbaric?

Have you heard of the Gikondo massacre? It was one of the acts of severe brutality committed during the Rwandan genocide. 110 men, women ...[text shortened]... ked to death. Would you say that was barbaric?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gikondo_massacre[/b]
    Why stop there, why not talk about the rape of Nanking, or the bombing of Dresden, or the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? indeed there have tremendous atrocity committed, but you are in fact not asking me to comment upon atrocity by Gods justice, which is entirely different, and as I am a mere human, prone to aberration and limited in experience, i cannot say.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 12:10
    Well that depends on the nature of the Laws.
    Well you know the nature of the laws he has asked you about, so answer the question.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 12:151 edit
    Well you know the nature of the laws he has asked you about, so answer the question.
    No i dont, you cited three different sources. The Quran, North Korea and the Bible (not explicitly mentioned but inferred)
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 13:091 edit
    Why stop there, why not talk about the rape of Nanking, or the bombing of Dresden, or the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? indeed there have tremendous atrocity committed, but you are in fact not asking me to comment upon atrocity by Gods justice, which is entirely different, and as I am a mere human, prone to aberration and limited in experience, i cannot say.
    Why stop there, why not talk about the rape of Nanking, or the bombing of Dresden, or the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Because that was the example i chose. Now again, would you call the massacre at Gikondo barbaric? A simple yes or no would suffice Rob?

I saw you posted this in The Case for Atheism thread -

I believe that a true god would not punish an otherwise good person even if that person denied that god's very existence.

How can you say that when your here defending the appalling punishments of Deuteronomy 13. Here's the text, specifically 12:18 -

If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, and none of the condemned things are to be found in your hands. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger, will show you mercy, and will have compassion on you. He will increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your ancestors— because you obey the LORD your God by keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes.

Here we have instructions from your God on what to do when a town decides to worship another God ie. deny his existence. Kill everyone and everything. Flies in the face of your belief that a 'true God' wouldn't punish those who deny his existence?!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 16:351 edit
    [b]Why stop there, why not talk about the rape of Nanking, or the bombing of Dresden, or the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Because that was the example i chose. Now again, would you call the massacre at Gikondo barbaric? A simple yes or no would suffice Rob?

I saw you posted this in The Case for Atheism thread -

[quote]I believe in the face of your belief that a 'true God' wouldn't punish those who deny his existence?![/b]
    no i did not originate the quotation, i merely cited it so as to examine it. I will not and cannot question Gods justice, if at that particular epoch of time he stated that apostasy was to be treated in such a way, then so be it. The ordinances are certainly no way more severe than that which was practised by the Romans or any so called civilised nation. Indeed the Romans were notorious for the most horrific of cruelty in the name of entertainment.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 16:41
    No i dont, you cited three different sources. The Quran, North Korea and the Bible (not explicitly mentioned but inferred)
    So it is not laws that are barbaric but the sources of those laws?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 16:56
    So it is not laws that are barbaric but the sources of those laws?
    as i have stated, it depends entirely upon the context and what those laws are.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 18:27
    no i did not originate the quotation, i merely cited it so as to examine it. I will not and cannot question Gods justice, if at that particular epoch of time he stated that apostasy was to be treated in such a way, then so be it. The ordinances are certainly no way more severe than that which was practised by the Romans or any so called civilised n ...[text shortened]... Indeed the Romans were notorious for the most horrific of cruelty in the name of entertainment.
    no i did not originate the quotation, i merely cited it so as to examine it.

So you did. My apologies.

I will not and cannot question Gods justice.

Of course you can, your just too chicken. How many people have died throughout history because of the ridiculous fearful attitude you display here?

The ordinances are certainly no way more severe than that which was practised by the Romans or any so called civilised nation.

So? This is God we're talking about, not some blood thirsty Roman mob.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree