1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 17:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    Fine by me. I just don't see why you ask people to answer "how" questions if you don't really care about them being answered. It seems false to me.
    But I was trying to point out to you that all the laws that
    make the universe was put in place by God. You seem
    not to understand that this is the only explanation we have.
    So I asked this "how" question so you might realize "Who"
    did it. Once you realize "Who" did it then the "how" is no
    longer important. Otherwise, I would expect an answer to
    "how" you are sure that God did not do it.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 18:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But I was trying to point out to you that all the laws that
    make the universe was put in place by God. You seem
    not to understand that this is the only explanation we have.
    So I asked this "how" question so you might realize "Who"
    did it. Once you realize "Who" did it then the "how" is no
    longer important. Otherwise, I would expect an answer to
    "how" you are sure that God did not do it.
    Yes. I think more generally, if the answer to a question is "God did it" then the question is not important.

I think I'm becoming an apatheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 18:53
    Yes. I think more generally, if the answer to a question is "God did it" then the question is not important.

I think I'm becoming an apatheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
    At least you realize what you are becomimg. But I don't see
    "Apatheism" as a good goal to strive for. Well, maybe that
    doesn't really require any striving at all. Just let it all hang out.
    Whatever rings your bell.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 22:28
    At least you realize what you are becomimg. But I don't see
    "Apatheism" as a good goal to strive for. Well, maybe that
    doesn't really require any striving at all. Just let it all hang out.
    Whatever rings your bell.
    Not only is striving not required to attain an apatheistic outlook, I think it cannot be attained by striving. In fact, I think it is attained by exhaustively striving to avoid it.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 23:07
    Not only is striving not required to attain an apatheistic outlook, I think it cannot be attained by striving. In fact, I think it is attained by exhaustively striving to avoid it.
    Well, I guess you should be able to handle that then.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 23:33
    Well, I guess you should be able to handle that then.
    I still have this tendency to want to get the last word in. 😉
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 00:10
    I still have this tendency to want to get the last word in. 😉
    Okay, I want say another word on this as long as you are respectful.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 09:52
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Let's clear this chestnut and side issue up to start with. Some of the Mosaic Laws make practical sense. Now there is no need to bring the issue of 'cherry picking' up again.

I'll remind you off my statement when i first entered this debate -

[quote]Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole host of punishments as ...[text shortened]... stion again to you is, do you think the punishments outlined above are barbaric. Yes or no?
    *****BUMPED*****

Let's clear this chestnut and side issue up to start with. Some of the Mosaic Laws make practical sense. Now there is no need to bring the issue of 'cherry picking' up again.

Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole host of punishments as barbaric as you could imagine.

You asked me for examples and i backed them up with scripture. Killing people including children, burning people to death, chopping women's hands off and razing whole villages to the ground after killing everyone in it are the examples.

In your opinion it is barbaric, that is fine, i myself did not make the law, nor am i under a system that advocates it, so why are you suggesting that i am?

I'm not suggesting that you made the law, neither am i suggest you are under a system that advocates those practices. You asked me for examples of barbaric punishments from the Bible which i gave. I think it's not just my opinion that the above punishments are barbaric, but anyone with a microgram of humanity couldn't fail to agree with me.

Now the question again to you is, do you think the punishments outlined above are barbaric. Yes or no?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 10:37
    *****BUMPED*****

[quote]Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole h ...[text shortened]... on again to you is, do you think the punishments outlined above are barbaric. Yes or no?
    chopping peoples hands off? where was that written? whether its barbaric or not i cannot say, its certainly severe, but i also produced the reason why such severity was necessary, which you have failed to comment upon. i think its barbaric that 50 million children are killed every year through abortions, how is that any less barbaric than the ordinances of the Mosaic law? Indeed, any person with even a semblance of humanity must agree that its equally barbaric, if not more so, if not for the sheer scale of it, if nothing else. Indeed dear Noobster how is that any less barbaric or are both equally as so?
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 11:271 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    chopping peoples hands off? where was that written? whether its barbaric or not i cannot say, its certainly severe, but i also produced the reason why such severity was necessary, which you have failed to comment upon. i think its barbaric that 50 million children are killed every year through abortions, how is that any less barbaric than the ordin ...[text shortened]... if nothing else. Indeed dear Noobster how is that any less barbaric or are both equally as so?
    chopping peoples hands off? where was that written?

Not peoples. Women's. I gave you the quote earlier. Here it is again, Deuteronomy 25:11-12

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Show her no pity. I'll repeat that for dramatic effect...................Show her no pity!!!!

whether its barbaric or not i cannot say

Only a few days ago you posted a long post in response to Soothfasts allegation that the Bible doesn't promote applying reason and thinking for oneself as virtues. Here's a quote you gave -

(Hebrews 5:14) . . .to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong. . .

Now all of a sudden when you're asked to comment on whether some punishments of the OT are 'barbaric', the virtues you were holding up have vanished. Coincidence? I think not.

i think its barbaric that 50 million children are killed every year through abortions

Not children Rob. Fetuses, there is a difference. Now i'm not getting into a debate about abortion with you. But if you want my direct, clear-cut response, no i don't think it is 'barbaric'. Now i gave you a direct, clear-cut answer to your question let's see if you can do the same for me.

but i also produced the reason why such severity was necessary, which you have failed to comment upon.

I can't for the life of me believe what i'm reading. You're a grown man with children of your own telling me that razing villages to the ground after killing everyone living there was 'necessary'. One one hand you're calling abortion barbaric but on the other one your defending children being no doubt hacked or clubbed to death as 'necessary'?! It boggles my mind.

So again, razing villages to the ground after killing all men, women and children. Barbaric, yes or no?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:08
    [b]chopping peoples hands off? where was that written?

Not peoples. Women's. I gave you the quote earlier. Here it is again, Deuteronomy 25:11-12

[quote]If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. ...[text shortened]... o the ground after killing all men, women and children. Barbaric, yes or no?[/b]
    Until you have read the Holy Bible completely through and
    studied it at a theological school with a well established
    theologian, you will have no real idea of the real love and
    compassion that fills the pages of this book. You will
    continue to see good as evil and evil as good. Your mind
    is not yet ready to receive the truth.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:131 edit
    Thanks for that 'enlightening' comment.

As someone who has a gay son, how do you reconcile what the Bible says about homosexuality in Leviticus?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:18
    Thanks for that 'enlightening' comment.

As someone who has a gay son, how do you reconcile what the Bible says about homosexuality in Leviticus?
    You would not understand. But it is all about love.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:19
    You would not understand. But it is all about love.
    You would not understand.

Fire away.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:202 edits
    I.e. not until you have had bullied out of you every last shred of common sense, not until your mind is just a dimly lit cesspool of theistic bullchit choked up so full with dust and noxious vapor that any light of reason is completely diffused, not until you have the reasoning capacity of an ostrich will one be ready to receive the truth.

Well you can take your "truth" mr Hinds and shove it where the `sun don't shine'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree