1. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:01
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Ok. So lets back up what we say with some references.

1. I cannot find any references which supports this .. "..to act because you fear judgement is inherently selfish .." Let me know if you find any, or failing that, what is the logic behind it.
    Now I am confused. Where do you want references from? Are we talking about from the Bible, Scientific literature, general philosophy? A dictionary?
    Isn't is the very definition of selfish, that if you act solely for self preservation you are acting selfishly?

Lets try this reference:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/selfish
    1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc.,

2. There is no option to give up your salvation for someone else so Im certain that Christ never addressed that issue. The only option is to give up your life for another, and that is what Christ called the ' greatest love .. "
    Yes, that is the usual avoidance technique I get from Christians when I give that example, ie "its all hypothetical so lets not discuss it".
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:05
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I understand what Christ said, and act upon it. You are no different than the
    devil in the way you accuse the church of evil.
    Kelly
    I have simply repeated what Christ said.
    If it falls in your garden then maybe you should look closely at your beliefs.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Now I am confused. Where do you want references from? Are we talking about from the Bible, Scientific literature, general philosophy? A dictionary?
    Isn't is the very definition of selfish, that if you act solely for self preservation you are acting selfishly?

Lets try this reference:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/selfish
    1. devoted to or ca ...[text shortened]... rom Christians when I give that example, ie "its all hypothetical so lets not discuss it".
    It is clearly a biblical discussion so if you want to respond properly use references from the Bible.

Acting to preserve your own personal life or assets can be selfish if others are disadvantaged.

Acting to keep your salvation by doing good works is not selfish. Its what Christ commanded us to do.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:17
    I have simply repeated what Christ said.
    If it falls in your garden then maybe you should look closely at your beliefs.
    If that were the case I'd say you had a point, what you did was to specifically
    name me and accused Christians of not following Christ, you and the devil have
    a lot in common.
    Kelly
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:46
    It is clearly a biblical discussion so if you want to respond properly use references from the Bible.
    What nonsense. If I say something is selfish, then I mean it is selfish. I do not need biblical references to back that up.

Acting to keep your salvation by doing good works is not selfish. Its what Christ commanded us to do.
    It depends on the motivation. If you are doing it on Christs behalf, then I agree it is not wholly selfish. It is being selfish, but not as an end unto itself.
    If you are doing it to save your own hide, then it is, by definition, wholly selfish.

If you disagree with my definition of selfish, please back up your claims with Biblical references. (No, I don't want to know what Christ commanded you to do, I want Biblical verses stating or suggesting that it is not selfish to save your self.)
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:55
    What nonsense. If I say something is selfish, then I mean it is selfish. I do not need biblical references to back that up.

[b]Acting to keep your salvation by doing good works is not selfish. Its what Christ commanded us to do.

It depends on the motivation. If you are doing it on Christs behalf, then I agree it is not wholly selfish. It is being ...[text shortened]... to do, I want Biblical verses stating or suggesting that it is not selfish to save your self.)[/b]
    Christ said to do good works. The only wrong motivation was to be seen of men.
    End of Story.

You were clearly brought up by modern christianity's corrupt teachings.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 14:091 edit
    Christ said to do good works. The only wrong motivation was to be seen of men.
    End of Story.
    Not just yet it isn't. You have just changed your claim. A moment ago you said the motivation was self preservation (on behalf of Christ). Now you are giving a more direct motivation.
    Looks like you are trying to avoid admitting your error.

You were clearly brought up by modern christianity's corrupt teachings.
    Ha ha. The things people say when backed into a corner are hilarious.

Where are the Biblical references I asked for?

Now, I also need Biblical references for your claim that I was brought up by modern christianity's corrupt teachings.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '11 14:20
    Not just yet it isn't. You have just changed your claim. A moment ago you said the motivation was self preservation (on behalf of Christ). Now you are giving a more direct motivation.
    Looks like you are trying to avoid admitting your error.

[b]You were clearly brought up by modern christianity's corrupt teachings.

Ha ha. The things people say whe ...[text shortened]... l references for your claim that I was brought up by modern christianity's corrupt teachings.[/b]
    You are not understanding.

I said that Christ said to do good works but not for the purpose of being seen by men.

Christ said to to fear God and judgment for God has the power to end our existence.

I never tried to determine (as you are doing) any motiviation for good works becuase Christ never discussed that either.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 15:40
    I never tried to determine (as you are doing) any motiviation for good works becuase Christ never discussed that either.
    Actually, you accepted that the motivation of getting into heaven was acceptable, then later tried to back out of it when it started to look bad.
    I see however that you are lost when Jesus didn't tell you something. Now I see why you are so desperate for Biblical references, and so reluctant to give them.

I am still waiting for those Biblical references I asked for.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '11 17:33
    Actually, you accepted that the motivation of getting into heaven was acceptable, then later tried to back out of it when it started to look bad.
    I see however that you are lost when Jesus didn't tell you something. Now I see why you are so desperate for Biblical references, and so reluctant to give them.

I am still waiting for those Biblical references I asked for.
    You are insane. I never backed out of anything.

Christ listed only one reason why'good' works is not necessarily good and that is when we do it for men to see.

Claiming that works is not good because someone does it to get salvation is a wholly unbiblical statement.

And biblical references are essential if we are to follow what Christ said otherwise its just your opinion.

Its your opinion that someone who does good works to get salvation is selfish. Christ said no such thing and he is the judge.

Working towards salvation is saving your hide and thats exactly what the Bible says to do.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 19:44
    You are insane.
    I'm not the one throwing my toys out of the cot and seeing red.

I never backed out of anything.
    Then what was the "end of story", line all about? Sounded like a 'shut up or you'll show me up' line to me.

Claiming that works is not good because someone does it to get salvation is a wholly unbiblical statement.
    And I didn't make any such claim. Its you that panicked when I said it was selfish.

And biblical references are essential if we are to follow what Christ said otherwise its just your opinion.
    So why aren't you giving me any references? I have asked three times for you to back up what is so far 'just your opinion' and nothing is forth coming from you.

Its your opinion that someone who does good works to get salvation is selfish.
    Its not opinion, its simple logic. It follows directly from the definition.

Christ said no such thing and he is the judge.
    But since he hasn't made a judgement on the matter, either yea or nay, you cannot possibly know that it is not true can you? Or do you have a Biblical reference where Christ says it is not selfish?

Working towards salvation is saving your hide and thats exactly what the Bible says to do.
    And it is selfish.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 20:33
    The answer is no. It just seems that way because people have greater resources to do more damaging evil.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 23:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Can be yes.
    Kelly
    How do you reconcile that with the following?:

Matthew 19:16-24
    And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” And He said to him, “...if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” ...The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.
    And Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. “Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 00:161 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    How do you reconcile that with the following?:]
    Here is another interesting passage :

Luk 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
    Luk 6:21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
    Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
    Luk 6:23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
    Luk 6:24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    How do you reconcile that with the following?:

Matthew 19:16-24
    And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” And He said to him, “...if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” ...The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” Jesus sai ...[text shortened]... to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
    What problem do you see with that? He was telling that one guy what his
    issue was, and it was his wealth, he loved it more than God. Being content
    in God is a great thing, no matter if your rich or poor it is meaningless with
    respect to your relationship with God. God tells us to love Him and each
    other, you can do that with or without money, money can get in way, but it
    does not by itself mean anything with respect to someone's heart.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree