1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:01
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think that parents should let their kids work out their own spirituality
    Young kids are highly susceptible to indoctrination, if you don't influence them, someone else will.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:07
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Give me some examples of skills and knowledge that you would equip them with.
    You can get information about it from the internet. If you had trained as a teacher, you would have studied it.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:113 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You can get information about it from the internet. If you had trained as a teacher, you would have studied it.
    I did not study at a secular university. So a secular university indoctrinates you on what the right thing is to teach kids and you in turn indoctrinate the kids. Sounds about right. Or let the internet indoctrinate you. By the way I am not talking about what teachers should teach kids at school but what parents should teach their own kids.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:15
    So a secular university indoctrinates you on what the right thing is to teach kids and you in turn indoctrinate the kids.
    Does it? Do they? All of them?

Whatever "university" you went to has certainly given you a strange view of the universities you didn't go to.

Do you object to the goal I mentioned earlier? To enable children to carry out critical analysis of the worldview they are growing up in (and other worldviews) so that when they become adults they can think for themselves and reach their own conclusions.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:18
    Originally posted by apathist
    No sir. Share your opinion, but teach them to think. How could you not know this.
    CORRECT!
    And if you are worth anything at all, one of things you will do is try and teach them right
    from wrong, good from bad, how to be good people. There are no promises in life, but if
    you neglect your duties as a parent, your kids will suffer for it as they grow up without a
    foundation in their lives to live by.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 04:191 edit
    Or let the internet indoctrinate you.
    Didn't your parents allow you to be psychologically abused, intellectually/socially/emotionally deprived and indoctrinated with nonsense for 24 years and haven't you defended aspects of it? I'm not sure you are in a position to lecture me on me being indoctrinated.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So who are the thought police to know when it is being done right or wrong? Not the parents?
    If parents are brainwashed into thinking a certain way, then how would they know if they were doing the same to their children?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:24
    Since I was born into the cult I and now that I have looked up the meanings I think it would probably be more accurate to say I was indoctrinated rather than brainwashed since brainwashing forces someone to change their pre existing beliefs.
    You seem brainwashed to me even now.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose teaching them your political ideology should also be labeled child abuse, eh?
    You also seem to be somewhat brainwashed to me.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:28
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'm atheist, and secular, and I love the great goddess...
    You need to do a lot less drugs and look up the meanings of:
    -atheist
    -goddess
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does it? Do they? All of them?

Whatever "university" you went to has certainly given you a strange view of the universities you didn't go to.

Do you object to the goal I mentioned earlier? To enable children to carry out critical analysis of the worldview they are growing up in (and other worldviews) so that when they become adults they can think for themselves and reach their own conclusions.
    So when you study at a university. and they tell you what the right way is to raise a child, are you allowed to question what they tell you and disagree with what they tell you? Can you decide for yourself what the right way is or do you have to agree with what they say?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:49
    I did not study at a secular university. So a secular university indoctrinates you on what the right thing is to teach kids and you in turn indoctrinate the kids. Sounds about right. .
    What on Earth is a "secular university"?

And how do they indoctrinate students?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:491 edit
    So when you study at a university. and they tell you what the right way is to raise a child, are you allowed to question what they tell you and disagree with what they tell you?
    I don't think you have the first idea what studying at a university is like. Your questions sound like what I imagine the leaders of the child abuse cult you grew up in would say about people and institutions outside the cult. You went to a cult-approved "university", presumably? So, were you allowed to question what they "told" you?

What are your answers to your two questions?
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 06:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You need to do a lot less drugs and look up the meanings of:
    -atheist
    -goddess
    She didn't create the world; she is the world. And nature is hardly supernatural. So the two main requirements of being a god actually don't fit.

Btw, I need to do more drugs, just to actually do any.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Jun '17 07:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    So who decides what the correct skills and knowledge is to teach a young child, you or the university?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree