Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jun 17

Originally posted by dj2becker
I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
I think that parents should let their kids work out their own spirituality

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jun 17

So when exactly is religious indoctrination child abuse and when isn't it?
It's indoctrination when people indoctrinate others.
Teaching infers critical thought on behalf of the student.
Indoctrination doesn't allow for critical thought.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jun 17

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I think that parents should let their kids work out their own spirituality
Why

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by apathist
Kids need guidance. Here's a rule: sometimes you will disobey, and we will still love you.

But kid keep it to a minimum. Choose your battles.
guidelines, yes. Hard and fastened rules however, applied over a long period may lead to a lack of autonomy in the child.
Unless of course it comes to harming others, then you can have 0 tolerance as a parent - lest you get blamed ..

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Keep your eyes fixed on the watch swinging on the chain. Now, repeat after me. "atheism good, theism bad, atheism good, theism bad..."
😉

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Why
Because everyone should have a right to genuine free will for starters. And parents should be aware of this.
Also because, IMO , kids who learn how to think for themselves grow into more decisive, more well-rounded, more holistic individuals. Theist or otherwise.
If, after examining ones thoughts, one decides that those thoughts are not actually their own, all sorts of different psychological break downs MAY occur. Not to mention the problem of blaming others.

So many other reasons ...

But why did you ask me this? Surely you are not advocating that parents NOT let their kids think for themselves (?)

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Jun 17

guidelines, yes. Hard and fastened rules however, applied over a long period may lead to a lack of autonomy in the child.
Unless of course it comes to harming others, then you can have 0 tolerance as a parent - lest you get blamed ..
I let my kids participate in any religious activity they wanted to. So, given my region, a half a dozen christian varieties. I never gave my opinion until they were grown, but I did try hard to teach them critical thinking skills. So I get an atheist, an agnostic, and a conspiracy theorist right-wing christian.

The girl is the conspiracy nut. I guess that's not statistically relevant.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
10 Jun 17

Because everyone should have a right to genuine free will for starters. And parents should be aware of this.
Also because, IMO , kids who learn how to think for themselves grow into more decisive, more well-rounded, more holistic individuals. Theist or otherwise.
If, after examining ones thoughts, one decides that those thoughts are not actually thei ...[text shortened]... me this? Surely you are not advocating that parents NOT let their kids think for themselves (?)
You are telling me that parents should not be allowed to teach their own kids right and
wrong, what is good and bad? You think the child will figure that out on their own, when?

If not parents, who, the kids next door, some guy in a van? If parents are not teaching
their kids, others will, and those that have kids that do not teach them are not parenting
their children.

E

Moves
10 Jun 17

I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
No matter what worldview one teaches a child it is all indoctrination.

F

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by Eladar
Not if one also gives the child the skills and knowledge - and curiosity - for them to be able to carry out critical analysis of that worldview (and other worldviews) so that when they become adults they can think for themselves and reach their own conclusions.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by Eladar
No sir. Share your opinion, but teach them to think. How could you not know this.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
You are telling me that parents should not be allowed to teach their own kids right and
wrong, what is good and bad? You think the child will figure that out on their own, when?

If not parents, who, the kids next door, some guy in a van? If parents are not teaching
their kids, others will, and those that have kids that do not teach them are not parenting
their children.
You under-estimate children.

E

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by apathist
No sir. Share your opinion, but teach them to think. How could you not know this.
Your idea about what constitutes thinking is your worldview.

E

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Not if one also gives the child the skills and knowledge - and curiosity - for them to be able to carry out critical analysis of that worldview (and other worldviews) so that when they become adults they can think for themselves and reach their own conclusions.
Your basis of a critical analysis is your worldview.

Moves
10 Jun 17
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
When kids grow up they ask you questions. The answers you give are based upon your own worldview. This will invariably influence your kids.

Give me some examples of skills and knowledge that you would equip them with.