1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:36
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Yes I have.

Indoctrination is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

Brainwash means 'pressurize (someone) into adopting radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible means.'

Since I was born into the cult I and now that I have looked up the meanings I think it would probably be mo ...[text shortened]... rather than brainwashed since brainwashing forces someone to change their pre existing beliefs.
    As you have now watered down your level of brain washing, would you also like to take this opportunity to water down your membership of a 'cult?'
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:38
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    As you have now watered down your level of brain washing, would you also like to take this opportunity to water down your membership of a 'cult?'
    The real question is whether someone who is born into a cult is brainwashed or indoctrinated. For them to be brainwashed they would need pre existing beliefs it seems according to the defintion that is.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:451 edit
    The real question is whether someone who is born into a cult is brainwashed or indoctrinated. For them to be brainwashed they would need pre existing beliefs it seems according to the defintion that is.
    You can't just google one definition of brainwashing and think you have a thorough understanding.

Try this one on for size:

Brainwashing -To make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them.' (You know, like from within a cult). 🙄

Cambridge Dictionary
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:491 edit
    You can't just google one definition of brainwashing and think you have a thorough understanding.

Brainwashing -To make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them.' (You know, like from within a cult). 🙄

Cambridge Dictionary
    Ok lets use your defintion. Would you say someone is brainwashed if they do have access to other information, due to the fact that other information was not prevented from reaching them?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:54
    I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
    I suppose teaching them your political ideology should also be labeled child abuse, eh?
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 18:041 edit
    So when exactly is religious indoctrination child abuse and when isn't it?
    Good question. When it interferes with her
    free will.Show her facts,
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 18:41
    Just to clarify Kelly, are you following the correct thread this time?!
    Let me check...yes...oh wait... no I'm good! What's the topic again? 😉
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 18:42

Cambridge Dictionary
    Or American college campus'!
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 19:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose teaching them your political ideology should also be labeled child abuse, eh?
    That depends on three things:

1. The generally accepted moral value of the political ideology being taught.
    2. The generally accepted moral value of the teaching methods used.
    3. The effectiveness of the teaching methods used.

Of course these are in the eye of the beholder, of course the political ideology being taught will judge itself and its methods to be morally superior.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 19:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    That depends on three things:

1. The generally accepted moral value of the political ideology being taught.
    2. The generally accepted moral value of the teaching methods used.
    3. The effectiveness of the teaching methods used.

Of course these are in the eye of the beholder, of course the political ideology being taught will judge itself and its methods to be morally superior.
    Well reasoned.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 19:33
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Let me check...yes...oh wait... no I'm good! What's the topic again? 😉
    Keep your eyes fixed on the watch swinging on the chain. Now, repeat after me. "atheism good, theism bad, atheism good, theism bad..."
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 19:56
    Originally posted by JS357...
    Of course. So reasonable people look at other points of view first.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 20:07
    Originally posted by Ghost of a DukeKeep your eyes fixed on the watch swinging on the chain. Now, repeat after me. "atheism good, theism bad, atheism good, theism bad..."
    I'm atheist, and secular, and I love the great goddess, so I'm not sure you're entirely right.We have to take care of this planet, or we go extinct. Fuk politics and fuk the other gods, we are in charge of our destiny and we are killing the planet. Fuk all the people too, I dunno, for good measure.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 20:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Teaching No, agree or else approach yes... that's abuse
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 21:08
    I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
    Teach children what you know.
    They can come up with their own beliefs.

But that will not happen in theist families.
    Every religion has some commandment to "teach" their children
    (indoctrinate/brainwash)
    Christenings, bar mitzvahs and of course various mutilations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree