Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by apathist
She didn't create the world; she is the world. And nature is hardly supernatural. So the two main requirements of being a god actually don't fit.
You are saying that you are an atheist who loves a Goddess. Correct?

Moves
10 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
What on Earth is a "secular university"?

And how do they indoctrinate students?
One that is filled with atheist professors like yourself. They influence their thinking with their own beliefs.

F

Moves
10 Jun 17

wolfgang59: What on Earth is a "secular university"?

Originally posted by dj2becker
One that is filled with atheist professors like yourself. They influence their thinking with their own beliefs.
How many years did you spend in "secular universities"?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by divegeester
You also seem to be somewhat brainwashed to me.
Technically, whodey is brain deprived.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by divegeester
You are saying that you are an atheist who loves a Goddess. Correct?
I don't believe in gods, but do think the earth is alive. And we're busy killing her.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Jun 17

Professors teach subjects. You're tilting at windmills.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amarnath-amarasingam/how-religious-are-america_b_749630.html

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 Jun 17

I don't believe in gods, but do think the earth is alive. And we're busy killing her.
The Earth is full of life. We certainly agree on that.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Jun 17

Your are an atheist who loves a goddess; this is what you said. Can you explain how you can be an atheist and also love a goddess?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 17
1 edit

I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.
I find the term 'child abuse' to have overtones of violence and so do not think it is the most suitable word here.
I also do not agree that 'religious indoctrination' is equivalent to 'teaching your children what you believe' as you later imply.
I do think it is wrong to lie to children, but recognise that such a practice is prevalent with regards to religion, Father Christmas, good behaviour and more. In fact I have often witnessed adults lying to children for fun, merely because they knew they could get away with it. There is no backlash when you lie to children and some people just seem to get a kick out of lying. Its rather like the internet.
But back to indoctrination: I once noticed my son punching his shoulder. He said that it was because the teachers had told them that the devil sits on your shoulder and whispers bad things in your ear. Now that is clearly something the teachers didn't themselves believe. I have again, often witnessed this sort of blatant lying to children about religious matters - often with the intent of ensuring the child grows up religious out of fear. I think that is wrong.
If you genuinely believe something then I have no objections to you teaching your children about it.

F

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
I find the term 'child abuse' to have overtones of violence and so do not think it is the most suitable word here.
To be fair to everyone who has been involved in the recent hundreds-of-posts discussion on another thread (that this thread is an extension of), the term "child abuse" has slipped in of late a bit lazily and taken the place of the psychological abuse and deliberate deprivation of children that has been under discussion and that is the topic of this thread too.

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
How many years did you spend in "secular universities"?
Who decides what the correct skills and knowledge is to teach a young child, you or the university?

F

Moves
10 Jun 17
2 edits

FMF: How many years did you spend in "secular universities"?

Who decides what the correct skills and knowledge is to teach a young child, you or the university?
My question was: how many years did you spend in "secular universities"? You seemed to be claiming you know all about what goes on in them, who teaches, what they teach. On what basis do you claim to know?

Moves
10 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
My question was: how many years did you spend in "secular universities"? You seemed to be claiming you know all about what goes on in them, who teaches, what they teach. On what basis do you claim to know?
I did 2 years post grad at one and know many people who have spent much more time there. I never claimed to know everything. So are you going to answer the question I asked you?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 17

I did 2 years post grad at one and know many people who have spent much more time there. I never claimed to know everything. So are you going to answer the question I asked you?
From the limited amount I read about your experience, I am glad that God preserved you.
And the fact that you came away from your cult experience with a love for God is encouraging.

Of course I have met many "X members" of different questionable and outright heretical groups which somehow were preserved in heart to love Christ.

Out of every kind of trials lovers of Christ have come.
God will always be able to point to them and put Satan to shame.
He brought them through, regardless. Praise the Lord.

Of course it is still sad that many were damaged to the point of never allowing the Holy Spirit to enter into their hearts, because of their rationalizing.

I'm glad God brought you through.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by sonship
From the limited amount I read about your experience, I am glad that God preserved you.
And the fact that you came away from your cult experience with a love for God is encouraging.

Of course I have met many "X members" of different questionable and outright heretical groups which somehow were preserved in heart to love Christ.

Out of every kind of ...[text shortened]... enter into their hearts, because of their rationalizing.

I'm glad God brought you through.
You need to escape the cult you are in, but you are a weak-minded man.