Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Is religious indoctrination child abuse?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
The National Curriculum is decided by universities?!
and they are indoctrinating our "young children" ...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by dj2becker
One that is filled with atheist professors like yourself. They influence their thinking with their own beliefs.
I have absolutely no idea of the religion of any of my professors!
Why would I?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 17

I did 2 years post grad at one and know many people who have spent much more time there. I never claimed to know everything. So are you going to answer the question I asked you?
You did 2 years post-grad at a "secular university".
Could you tell us which one?

And presumably you graduated from a "theist university". (Whatever that means)
Again ... which one?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 17

You are taking the statement out of context. I was talking specifically about my studies during my time at the cult and my education degree and early childhood development which I did not study at a secular university.
You have an "education degree" from a non-secular university??

Is that an accredited degree or a Mickey Mouse one?

E

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by divegeester
You seem brainwashed to me even now.
As you seem brainwashed to me.

E

Moves
10 Jun 17

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I have absolutely no idea of the religion of any of my professors!
Why would I?
Do you believe that a secular or humanistic belief system to be a religious belief system?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Jun 17

Originally posted by Rajk999
God raised me up to remind you what Jesus Christ preached, because clearly you and your cult members have forgotten the teachings of Christ. Plus I 'teach' nothing. All I have ever done here is to repeat verbatim what Jesus said. I present no interpretations, no analysis, no writings of men and scholars... nothing of the sort.

One definition of cult is ...[text shortened]... en what a man says and what a man does. God is interested in the latter. You preach the former.
Except Jesus wasn't a hypocrite. He practiced what he preached.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Jun 17

Originally posted by Eladar
Do you believe that a secular or humanistic belief system to be a religious belief system?
secular
/ˈsɛkjʊlə/
adjective
1. not connected with religious or spiritual matters.

E

Moves
11 Jun 17
1 edit

secular
/ˈsɛkjʊlə/
adjective
1. not connected with religious or spiritual matters.
How about humanism?

It seems to me that you and your kind have been brainwashed to believe that the beliefs of humanism and naturalism are not religions so using the government to force that view on others is perfectly moral.

w

Moves
11 Jun 17

Originally posted by JS357
That depends on three things:

1. The generally accepted moral value of the political ideology being taught.
2. The generally accepted moral value of the teaching methods used.
3. The effectiveness of the teaching methods used.

Of course these are in the eye of the beholder, of course the political ideology being taught will judge itself and its methods to be morally superior.
And who will be the morality police, you?

Moves
11 Jun 17
3 edits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potchefstroom_University_for_Christian_Higher_Education

It is fully accredited and I teach in the middle east.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jun 17

Apparently he was on the same Campus as Goofy (and had a short fling with Daisy Duck).

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Jun 17

Originally posted by Eladar
How about humanism?

It seems to me that you and your kind have been brainwashed to believe that the beliefs of humanism and naturalism are not religions so using the government to force that view on others is perfectly moral.
You asked about secularism.
The discussion is about secular teaching.
I have not raised humanism.

F

Moves
11 Jun 17

I was talking specifically about my studies during my time at the cult and my education degree and early childhood development which I did not study at a secular university.
You said this: I did a 2 year post graduate B.Ed Honors degree via correspondence at a secular university focused on teaching and learning which included research and a thesis which I did part time while teaching.

Was the "B.Ed Honors degree" not an education degree then?

In the U.K., the "Ed" stands for "education". Is that not how it works in South Africa?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 17

I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
When I was growing up my parents sent me to church by myself, they gave me money to put in the offering plate. They wanted me to see if it was something I wanted in my life. There was singing, the offering plate was passed around. I put my money in, then left. I did what I was told, they asked if I wanted to go back, and I said no. If you were going to give me money I want to spend it on what I want.