Is Roman Catholicism Christianity

Is Roman Catholicism Christianity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
07 Sep 09
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
There aren't very many Christians then, and it is almost impossible to be sure who is a Christian and who isn't because nobody can seem to agree on what the exact teachings of Christ were and very hard to verify whether someone is following them.
Much more reasonable is 'one who claims to follow the teachings of Christ', though I personally favor 'one who claims to be Christian' though it does sound somewhat circular.
There aren't very many Christians then, and it is almost impossible to be sure who is a Christian and who isn't because nobody can seem to agree on what the exact teachings of Christ were and very hard to verify whether someone is following them.

To gain some insight into why "nobody can seem to agree on what the exact teachings of Christ were" look at the following:

galveston75: "What did Jesus say about that? 1Cor 1:10."

1 Cor 1:10
"Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment."

This was said by Paul, not Jesus. Evidently some believe Paul IS Jesus or are otherwise unable to make the distinction.

rc

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
So say a lot of people, but when you ask them what these simple unambiguous teachings are you get differing opinions and in my experience I have never met anyone who is clearly following all the teachings of Jesus under just about any interpretation.
look no further my good man, i am he, for whom thou seeketh - daffy duck, in duck-a-muck.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by divegeester
Whilst the Roman Catholic Church is one of the biggest religions in the world in terms of cash and members it really does stretch Christian precepts and doctrine to the absolute ridiculous.

Transubstantiation?
Purgatory?
The Pope being the reincarnation of Peter?
The Pope being the "Vicar of Christ" i.e. in place of Christ!
Calling a priest "Fat ...[text shortened]... lic Church has nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity except in name.

Your thoughts?
Can I have a list of those "Christian precepts"? Who determines them?

g

Pepperland

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by galveston75
Real in what way?
real in the only way it could be.

d

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by galveston75
You mentioned it depended on the parish. I've always heard that from Catholics also is each parish does things a little differently. I posted before that I once talked to a Catholic priest at the door and my comments that day was on Revelation. He stopped me mid sentence and said he didn't want to discuss Revelation at all as he does not use the book in ...[text shortened]... t from it? Maybe it just makes the ones putting on the event look really smart or something?
The Mass isn't for people to understand it, it's The Worship of God, It's in Latin because it's a dead language, which means the words or what they mean won't change.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

This is where I start to get into with Catholics. What good is it to sit in a service and not understand a word? No one is edified in anyway! it may as well be gibberish!

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

Also not understand the mass? When going to the house of God it's to listen and learn. Dude my Mom knew nothing of the bible because of her catholic up bringing. She was taught that the father would interpret scripture for you. The bible was not for laity. When I finally read scripture to her from 1 John she started crying. The Catholic Church is all about controlling your mind & thoughts. Better not have your own thoughts! Poor Galileo what a fine example.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

By Catholic standards I'm going straight away to Hell!!

Manny

d

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by menace71
This is where I start to get into with Catholics. What good is it to sit in a service and not understand a word? No one is edified in anyway! it may as well be gibberish!

Manny
The Mass is in Latin not the sermon!

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

It's all Greek to me 😉

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

Explain the mass. That's the taking of the Eucharist right? That's what I'm saying I never knew what was going on. I've been to Catholic service or Mass just never got it.

Manny

d

Moves
07 Sep 09

Explain the mass. That's the taking of the Eucharist right? That's what I'm saying I never knew what was going on. I've been to Catholic service or Mass just never got it.

Manny
Well it starts with a psalm, then the priest says the Confiteor (asking God to forgive his sins) then the altar boys say it (one on each side), then everybody asks God to forgive them, then the priest praises God, the priest reads part of The Bible, then the sermon, then The Creed (what Catholics Believe), then the priest washes his hands to show the cleanness of The Mass, then preparing to Consecrate The Eucharist, then the priest distributes It, then the thanksgiving, that's The Mass told briefly, if you want more info I'll be glad to tell you.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

I'm good thanks though. 🙂 I'm just not ever going to be a Catholic. I reject Catholicism but I respect your right. Doctrinally,theologically & philosophically I could never be a Catholic is all.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
07 Sep 09

Also not understand the mass? When going to the house of God it's to listen and learn. Dude my Mom knew nothing of the bible because of her catholic up bringing. She was taught that the father would interpret scripture for you. The bible was not for laity. When I finally read scripture to her from 1 John she started crying. The Catholic Church is all about ...[text shortened]... & thoughts. Better not have your own thoughts! Poor Galileo what a fine example.

Manny
Also another BIG thing the Cathoilics do is confession which is not Bible based and is infact of pagan origin. "The Catholic Encyclo. P.58 & 1967 Vol 11 P 75.
And the Bible again says it's only thru Jesus that one can ask for forgiveness of sins. No imperfect human can do that.
Matt 6:6-12, Ps 32:5, 1John 2:1.

Also according to The US Catholic Magazine Oct 1982 P 6, it says "Bless me my "Father" for I have sinned." as part of the confession process. Matt 23:1,9. This scripture cleary says to call no one on the earth your Father ( in a spiritual sense ) for you have only "one" father in the heavens.

How do the Catholics possibly justify these actions?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Sep 09

I disagree with you slightly G75 in that we should confess our sins. I guess though it's to who we confess that matters namely God. Also to one another more to ask our fellow neighbor for forgiveness if we want to be
right with God.

Manny