1. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you want to worship a God that requires slavish servitude? Or one that calls you a brother?
    To be honest I wouldn't worship an imaginary god regardless of what it called me so the question you should ask, is which one, if any, is real?
    I think that if it turns out that the one that requires slavish servitude is real, then most of us would opt to worship it in slavish servitude (depending of course on the harshness of the penalty for not doing so). Would you opt out and insist on worshiping an imaginary alternative?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well before we deal with Islam, lets also be intolerant of that other global religion that is even more prevalent where we live and that also has a clear history of supporting slavery and clear verses in its holy book supporting slavery. How do you suggest we practice intolerance towards that religion?
    With a good Inquisition you can take care of the Protestants and Muslims at once...and shake down the Jews while you're at it!
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:04
    I
    Do you want to worship a God that requires slavish servitude? Or one that calls you a brother?
    Make your mind up!
    First your god wanted sons and daughters.
    Now he wants a brother?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:06
    Do you want to worship a God that requires slavish servitude?
    Your question assumes there are two (at least) gods.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:06
    I guess he's a slave too, but of his own doing. Christians too do all manner of goofy stuff. But the whole of Islam is begging on its face to god that doesn't have a face.

I don't want to worship. Period.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:29
    Well before we deal with Islam, lets also be intolerant of that other global religion that is even more prevalent where we live and that also has a clear history of supporting slavery and clear verses in its holy book supporting slavery. How do you suggest we practice intolerance towards that religion?
    "How do you suggest we practice intolerance towards that religion?"

The same way! Expose it. Punish it. But make sure you got it right before you cast the stone.

Intolerance? Since when is it wrong to be intolerant of that which is wrong? Wasn't it you that said we live in a dog eat dog world? Evolution right?

I can feel the love coming from ISIS.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:42
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I don't want to worship. Period.
    Then don't.

It's a free world. That is until they force you to worship. You can refuse. Get your throat cut open. Or hanged, or shot, or strangled. Happens all the time. Sometimes for no reason at all.

It all depends on who's in charge. I bet if you found yourself in front of one of those guys that holds the power you'd show deference though. It would be unwise not to. Especially if you have dependants. Gotta think of them you know. Stupid world! Full of sinister and craven individuals who wouldn't think twice about perpetrating all manner of harm on you or yours.

Don't worship God. You're on your own. It's evolution!

Are we having fun yet?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Make your mind up!
    First your god wanted sons and daughters.
    Now he wants a brother?
    Think outside the box wolfgang.

God as father wants sons and daughters as full grown adults, not slaves.

God as the Son calls you to be a brother.

God as the Spirit fills you with Christ, who is the very image of God.

You should try it on. Beats the hell out of death. No lie!
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:54
    Then don't.

It's a free world. That is until they force you to worship. You can refuse. Get your throat cut open. Or hanged, or shot, or strangled. Happens all the time. Sometimes for no reason at all.

It all depends on who's in charge. I bet if you found yourself in front of one of those guys that holds the power you'd show deference though. It would ...[text shortened]... ou or yours.

Don't worship God. You're on your own. It's evolution!

Are we having fun yet?
    Are you on drugs? This reads like a very rambling kind of post.

Anyway, yeah, if some idiot threatens to cut my throat unless I worship, I'd worship like I'd never worshipped before.

Would be totally fake of course, but if it would save my life I wouldn't mind pretending.

Is there really a big difference though between some Islamic idiot cutting my throat if I don't worship his god and your god tossing me in lake of fire because I don't worship him? Not much, surely?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 19:54
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Your question assumes there are two (at least) gods.
    It's a rhetorical question. Folks will worship thin air if you can sell them on it.

Logic dictates that there is only one God.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 21:20
    The same way! Expose it. Punish it. But make sure you got it right before you cast the stone.
    I am fairly sure I am right. Its right there in black and white in their holy book.

Intolerance? Since when is it wrong to be intolerant of that which is wrong?
    I fully agree. Your nonsensical beliefs are wrong and I am intolerant of them.

Wasn't it you that said we live in a dog eat dog world?
    Nope, I have never said that. Nor have I ever seen a dog eat another dog.

Evolution right?
    Wrong again. I don't think my intolerance is working. How can I be more intolerant of your ignorance so that you actually go and get an education?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 21:20
    It's a rhetorical question. Folks will worship thin air if you can sell them on it.
    Its a pity that someone sold you on it.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 22:04
    Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.

Or do you disagree?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 22:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    This thread is inspired by ISIS claims that they are implementing Sharia law by taking prisoner the women and children of combatants and making them slaves.

Is slavery justified under Sharia law?

[...] Now we either embrace this religious theology and be tolerant of it, or we don't.
    On the Debates Forum are you supporting the military efforts to confront ISIS?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 22:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.

Or do you disagree?
    I think that any religionists that try to impose slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be confronted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree