1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 17:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It doesn't say anything about owning slaves.
    Slaves are 'owned' by definition.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 17:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    Fundamentalists? I'm a fundamentalist and don't advocate slavery. I know other fundamentalists who don't advocate slavery. In fact, in Mosaic law slaves are freed after so many years, but no such law under Sharia law.

Jesus said that he came to set the captives free. He even challenged the thinking on Mosaic law when he showed mercy on the woman caught ...[text shortened]... respond if the Vatican began beheading people like they do in "moderate" Saudi Arabia?

Idiot.
    As I recall, some slaves are freed in Mosaic Law, not all of them.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 18:02
    Jesus said that he came to set the captives free. He even challenged the thinking on Mosaic law when he showed mercy on the woman caught in adultery, something that Mohammad never did.
    He never once spoke out against slavery in a direct way that got recorded in the Bible.
    He never even said that the woman caught in adultery should not be stoned. Instead as you say, he 'showed mercy' implying that he still thought that stoning was a just punishment. In fact he quite clearly stated that stoning was the correct punishment by the law handed down by God.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 20:302 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    As I recall, some slaves are freed in Mosaic Law, not all of them.
    Read again. Every so many years they are freed.

Slavery is the natural state of fallen man. Looking at history, the vast majority of men have been slaves.

The Mosaic law broke the chain as it created a Sabbath for all, including slaves, and set slaves free every so many years.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 21:07
    Read again. Every so many years they are freed.

Slavery is the natural state of fallen man. Looking at history, the vast majority of men have been slaves.

The Mosaic law broke the chain as it created a Sabbath for all, including slaves, and set slaves free every so many years.
    I read it again, and I was correct.

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

There were different rules for Israelites and 'foreigners' when it came to slavery.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 06:55
    Originally posted by josephw
    I know not every poster is American. A lot of people wish they were. There's nothing better.

LOL
    What else have you tried?

Seriously;
    have you looked at other religions?
    have you looked at other cultures?
    have you looked at other countries?

I would have thought that as a Christian
    the USA would be a very poor address.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 07:01
    Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.
    Do you have any concrete suggestions as to what form this "intolerance" should take?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 03:53
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Slaves are 'owned' by definition.
    The Bible is not addressing the slave owner in that passage. It's addressing the slave.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 03:54
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I read it again, and I was correct.

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 [b]You can bequeath them to your c ...[text shortened]... thlessly.

There were different rules for Israelites and 'foreigners' when it came to slavery.
    OK now THIS is about owning slaves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree