1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 13:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    What Christians today advocate slavery?

The argument is disingenuous.
    You argued that because it was once a part of Islam we should be intolerant of Islam, regardless of whether or not it is actually practiced by a Muslim. If it was once practiced by Christians you should therefore also be intolerant of Christianity.

Now, for the umpteenth: how do you propose this intolerance towards Islam should be handled??
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 17:53
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You argued that because it was once a part of Islam we should be intolerant of Islam, regardless of whether or not it is actually practiced by a Muslim. If it was once practiced by Christians you should therefore also be intolerant of Christianity.

Now, for the umpteenth: how do you propose this intolerance towards Islam should be handled??
    Handle it the same way God does. Call it what it is.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:04
    Are you on drugs? This reads like a very rambling kind of post.

Anyway, yeah, if some idiot threatens to cut my throat unless I worship, I'd worship like I'd never worshipped before.

Would be totally fake of course, but if it would save my life I wouldn't mind pretending.

Is there really a big difference though between some Islamic idiot cutt ...[text shortened]... p his god and your god tossing me in lake of fire because I don't worship him? Not much, surely?
    I've been rambling a lot lately! 😉

You might not fake it if what you believed in was paramount to anything else. Is there something you believe in that you would be willing to die for?

Throat cutting isn't a bad way to die. Unless they use a really dull knife.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lake of fire though. I think that by the time one is cast into it they are pretty much reduced to nothing anyway. Jesus said something about "their worm dieth not". I'm pretty sure they are devolved to something that doesn't feel much anyway.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:07
    Originally posted by josephw
    Handle it the same way God does. Call it what it is.
    Do you think that is what Whodey meant? I'm doubtful. Maybe Whodey can elucidate.

Whodey?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:481 edit
    Do you think that is what Whodey meant? I'm doubtful. Maybe Whodey can elucidate.

Whodey?
    I can't speak for whodey, but I think we can all agree that wherever injustice raises it's ugly head, whether it's a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu or a Buddhist, we should all be on the same page.

I'll fight beside an atheist for a just cause. How about you? Would you join forces with a theist to combat injustice?

It's the American way. At least it used to be!
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 19:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    I can't speak for whodey, but I think we can all agree that wherever injustice raises it's ugly head, whether it's a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu or a Buddhist, we should all be on the same page.

I'll fight beside an atheist for a just cause. How about you? Would you join forces with a theist to combat injustice?

It's the American way. At least it used to be!
    I'm not American.

Goes for quite a few of the posters here, actually. In case you didn't know.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 19:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 03:381 edit
    http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-seeks-justify-enslaving-yazidi-women-girls-150713031.html

This thread is inspired by ISIS claims that they are implementing Sharia law by taking prisoner the women and children of combatants and making them slaves.

Is slavery justified under Sharia law?
    "Sharia Law" Thread 157141 26 Dec '13
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 03:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Sharia Law" Thread 157141 26 Dec '13
    Ouch! I remember that thread. Not one of your finest moments.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 04:192 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The Lord's resistance army is not a Christian movement.

The fact is that Christians follow the teachings and actions of Jesus and those in Islam follow the teachings and actions of Mohammad.

Mohammad personally beheaded around 800 people, conquered and converted with the sword, and enslaved people while taking the women prisoners as their wives/concubines. He even had a 9 year old bride.

Conversely, Jesus told his disciple Peter, not only to put away his sword when they came to unjustly place him on a cross, he even reattached the ear of the soldier that Peter cut off. Jesus never raised an army, never killed anyone, never told anyone to kill anyone, never enslaved anyone.

The comparison is insane. The two men are as different as night and day.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 04:221 edit

Again, just because Christians may have done terrible things in the past has no bearing on what I do and think.

To call themselves Christians, they need to follow the "Christ" part of being a Christian. I, therefore, throw every human being under the bus that has not done so in the past.

Conversely, those who follow Islam feel the same about Mohammad, hence the problem.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 05:07
    Conversely, Jesus told his disciple Peter, not only to put away his sword when they came to unjustly place him on a cross, he even reattached the ear of the soldier that Peter cut off. Jesus never raised an army, never killed anyone, never told anyone to kill anyone, never enslaved anyone.
    If we are both wrong, whodey, and Islam is the true revelation of God then your admiration for Jesus is moot.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 06:51
    Yes. Sharia law (Islamic law) allows slavery.

However, the rules are quite strict.
    - Muslims can't be enslaved
    - Slaves that become Moslim have more religious rights than non-Moslim non-slaves.
    - Slaves can be freed due to religious atonement
    - Moslims are encouraged (in one of their five pillars of their faith) to donate money to free slaves (the concept being that society is better without slaves).
    - And if I remember correctly, if a slave becomes moslim and has a child, the child is no longer a slave (but I could be wrong, I'd have to look that one up).

Also, don't forget: It's less than 200 years ago that the West got rid of slavery.
    And did we get rid of it completely? What about child-sex slavery?

The bible allows for slavery too (also under certain obligations).
    And Paul in the new testament makes it very clear that Christianity allows slavery.

But hey... what do you expect from literature from 2000 years ago??
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 06:52
    Again, just because Christians may have done terrible things in the past has no bearing on what I do and think.

To call themselves Christians, they need to follow the "Christ" part of being a Christian. I, therefore, throw every human being under the bus that has not done so in the past.

Conversely, those who follow Islam feel the same about Mohammad, hence the problem.
    Jesus is God. God is Jesus. God has committed genocide on an epic scale. And he didn’t even limit himself to one species. He threw a tantrum unlike anything that anyone had seen then or has seen since.

Jesus is a mass murderer.

Just because Muslims may have done terrible things in the past has no bearing on what a Muslim today does and thinks.

But it’s understood that the fact that you grew up in a Christian environment has blinded you for the horrors of Christianity/Christians while you curse anyone who is not a member of your religion. Like so many other fundamentalists do, including Muslims.

I see you pretended that my question was not there, so allow me to repeat it: How do you propose this intolerance towards Islam should be handled??
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 07:04
    Is slavery justified under Sharia law?
    In which countries that have a Muslim majority population, or where Muslims are effectively in control of the apparatus of state, is it legally permitted to have sexual relations with "female captives and slaves"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree