1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 01:55
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    The term "human spirit" can mean two different things depending on how it's used. You appear to be taking the two most common meanings of this term and applying it as though it means same thing. This makes no sense and only adds to the confusion here, so are you talking about how atheists define "the human spirit" or the way Christians define it?

For t ...[text shortened]... he use of this term is perfectly acceptable within the context of a spiritual discussion.
    Do you believe that atheists and agnostics have no human spirit?
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you believe that atheists and agnostics have no human spirit?
    Uh huh... so instead of responding to my answer you elect to hit the re-set button and start all over again.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I asked Grampy Bobby about the human spirit, he replied "It's your soul...".
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby "Is the human spirit exclusive to Christians?" (page 3)

"An immaterial part of God's design format of human beings which is acquired at the moment of salvation along with eternal life; it enables believers in Christ [trichotomous: body, soul and human spirit] to understand and utilize spiritual truth."

"Soul life and physical life are imparted by the Holy Spirit [Neshamah: breath of lives] to a viable fetus [biological life] as it emerges from the mother's womb and takes it's first inhale at the moment of birth soul life and physical life begin]."

Please attribute words with reference to their context accurately. Thank you.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:26
    Uh huh... so instead of responding to my answer you elect to hit the re-set button and start all over again.
    I believe that they do. I have been explicit. So does sonship. He has been exllicit. Grampy Bobby appears to think they don't. He has been explicit. Do you agree with sonship or Grampy Bobby? I sense that you agree with sonship.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:27
    Please be patient, lemon lime; though I've been wrong on this assessment before the topic interest may be genuine.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby "Is the human spirit exclusive to Christians?" (page 3)

"An immaterial part of God's design format of human beings which is acquired at the moment of salvation along with eternal life; it enables believers in Christ [trichotomous: body, soul and [b]human spirit
    ] to understand and utilize spiritual truth." ...[text shortened]... l life begin]."

Please attribute words with reference to their context accurately. Thank you.[/b]
    Do you believe that atheists and agnostics have no human spirit? You suggested that they don't. Do you wish to modify what you have said?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:33
    Please be patient, lemon lime; though I've been wrong on this assessment before the topic interest may be genuine.
    The way things have been going, I think my interest in this topic may be more demonstrably genuine than yours. 😀
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 02:461 edit
    I'm aware of denominational differences where terms aren't clearly understood, and I'm also aware of denominational differences where there is a clear conflict in belief. It's not clear to me which of these differences (if any) apply to you and sonship, but I suspect it has more to do with definition of terms than anything else. One thing that has always helped me to understand denominational differences is simply knowing what those denominations are.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 04:53
    I'm not sure what your assessment of this is, because from where I'm sitting it appears you are the intended target (topic) of this thread.

I imagine you don't see it this way, and I also don't expect to see FMF admit to indulging himself at your expense. I decided to let him send me on one his fools errands because I was fairly certain I could deliver an answer he couldn't argue with. But where do we go from here?

I mean really, I can't imagine this thread going on for another 30 pages with the same question being repeated over and over again, regardless of what anyone says... but my assessment of this could also be wrong. 😉
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 05:17
    I'm not sure what your assessment of this is, because from where I'm sitting it appears you are the intended target (topic) of this thread.

I imagine you don't see it this way, and I also don't expect to see FMF admit to indulging himself at your expense. I decided to let him send me on one his fools errands because I was fairly certain I could deliver ...[text shortened]... over again, regardless of what anyone says... but my assessment of this could also be wrong. 😉
    Is the notion that not all human beings have human spirit a valid Christian doctrine? It's a new one to me. Have you encountred it before?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 05:501 edit
    I believe that human spirit is an attribute of all human beings and not something acquired by people when they become Christians. To suggest that non-Christians lack this basic human attribute sounds fanatical and perhaps a text book case of dehumanization.
    If Grampy Bobby has inadvertently used a word or words incorrectly, he should just come out and say so.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 07:291 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the notion that not all human beings have human spirit a valid Christian doctrine? It's a new one to me. Have you encountred it before?
    The term "human spirit" can mean two different things depending on how it's used. You appear to be taking the two most common meanings of this term and applying it as though it means same thing. This makes no sense and only adds to the confusion here, so are you talking about how atheists define "the human spirit" or the way Christians define it?

For the sake of simplicity I believe this could be resolved by simply saying "soul" rather than "the human spirit". This would pretty much put an end to your contention over GBs use of the term "human spirit", even though the use of this term is perfectly acceptable within the context of a spiritual discussion.

Originally posted by FMF
    But the idea of the "soul" is common to a whole range of religions and philosophies. Followers of the Abrahamic religions typically believe that all human beings have "souls". On the other thread, are you seriously claiming that Christian doctrine says that "agnostics or atheists" along with people who don't believe in Christ, have no "soul" and no "human spirit"?

You equated "human spirit" with "soul".

Is it still your contention that any Christian would deny that atheists (or any non-Christian) have a soul? This is what you were specifically suggesting, so would you care to modify or make any changes in your argument before we proceed?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 07:36
    Originally posted by moi
    [b]The term "human spirit" can mean two different things depending on how it's used. You appear to be taking the two most common meanings of this term and applying it as though it means same thing. This makes no sense and only adds to the confusion here, so are you talking about how atheists define "the human spirit" or th ...[text shortened]... se of this term is perfectly acceptable within the context of a spiritual discussion.
    [/b]
    When I was a Christian I believed that every human being had a "soul". If you are right and we can replace "human spirit" with "soul" in what Grampy Bobby said, and so he is thus saying that human beings get their "souls" only if they become Christians, then this is the first time I have heard anyone claim this is Christian doctrine. Do you agree with it?
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 07:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I was a Christian I believed that every human being had a "soul". If you are right and we can replace "human spirit" with "soul" in what Grampy Bobby said, and so he is thus saying that human beings get their "souls" only if they become Christians, then this is the first time I have heard anyone claim this is Christian doctrine. Do you agree with it?
    You're the only one here who is saying anything about people not having a soul unless they become a Christian, but you asked if I agree with this and so my answer is no... I don't agree with you.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 08:03
    You're the only one here who is saying anything about people not having a soul unless they become a Christian, but you asked if I agree with this and so my answer is no... I don't agree with you.
    Grampy Bobby has claimed that the human spirit/soul is acquired when one becomes a Christian and that atheists and agnostics don't have human spirit/souls. You either agree with him on that, or you agree with the conventional Christian view which is that all human beings, regardless if whether they are Christians, have human spirit/souls.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree