1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    ...actually the Bible states that the earth is circular [b]or spherical and that it is suspended in space...

It doesn't say "or spherical" though, does it? It says round. Is the earth round? No. And god, the bible states very clearly, is everywhere. From such a perspective the earth would not appear round, it would appear as a s er folk have known it was a ball at least since Eratosthenes' day (276 -194 BC).[/b]
    whatever, i wondered when the pendants would show up! soo lets get this, the Bible
    writer should have said, the one who is dwelling above the irregular oblate spheroid,
    (feels bum and wonders where it all went wrong). These statements are scientifically
    accurate, you need not accept the reasons, they are good enough for me.

can you cite any reason why the Hebrew, 'chugh', translated circle cannot be rendered
    as sphere?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:431 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    there is no word for spherical in ancient hebrew. and the bible makes many contradictory statements about where the earth hung; having covered all the angles, they were bound to get one of them close enough to being right.
    pure unadulterated bum, there is no contradiction anywhere, its not my fault you have
    not the artistic vision to discern between a metaphor (pillars) and a scientifically
    accurate statement, hanging the earth upon nothing (invisible forces of gravitation and
    the centrifugal force). The reason the Bible writer got these details rather accurate, in
    the face of popular opinion of the time was, inspiration!! and no amount of speculative
    jive talk of probabilities will negate this simple fact.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:461 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whatever, i wondered when the pendants would show up! soo lets get this, the Bible
    writer should have said, the one who is dwelling above the irregular oblate spheroid,
    (feels bum and wonders where it all went wrong). These statements are scientifically
    accurate, you need not accept the reasons, they are good enough for me.
    So you're saying that if the bible-writer had said something different from what he actually said then he would have been scientifically accurate?

edit: Pedant (new definition): people who point out the inaccuracies and fallacies in one's inaccurate and false statements...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:582 edits
    So you're saying that if the bible-writer had said something different from what he actually said then he would have been scientifically accurate?
    nope i am saying that he quite definitely stated 200 years prior to Pythagoras who
    theorised that the earth could be spherical, that it was, kept in orbit by
    invisible agencies and that it resembled a circle or a sphere, indeed i cannot think of
    any reason why the Hebrew 'chugh', cannot be rendered as sphere, and while indeed
    technically it would be viewed as an oblate spheroid with flattened poles to state this as
    some kind of inaccuracy borders on extreme pedantry, considering there is no Hebrew
    equivalent for oblate spheroid. Indeed you will now explain how the Biblical writer
    could have known that the earth was hanging upon 'nothing' i.e invisible forces, and
    that its shaped resembled a circle (which is just how a sphere might appear when
    viewed from any angle), just another two coincidences i guess.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:592 edits

edit: Pedant (new definition): people who point out the inaccuracies and fallacies in one's inaccurate and false statements...
    pedant, one who finds fault with others when technical terms cannot be found in their
    original language and who then attempts to ascribe terms like fallacy and inaccuracy on
    the basis of the non existent term.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 20:28
    pedant, one who finds fault with others when technical terms cannot be found in their
    original language and who then attempts to ascribe terms like fallacy and inaccuracy on
    The argument is pointless.

Whether or not they had separate words for circle and ball, (they did) or one that was interchangeable,
    it is clear from the context that the intended meaning was the common view of the time that the earth was
    flat, possibly had corners, either floated, or rested on pillars, was covered with a crystal dome which was
    covered by a blanket of stars at night.
    And importantly, that you could stand on the top of a high mountain and see ALL of it, which is ONLY possible
    if it's 'flat'.

The bible, old and new testament, reads entirely like it was written by men thousands of years ago with the
    knowledge men had thousands of years ago.

IF it was inspired by god then it should contain knowledge CLEARLY and INDISPUTABLY beyond not only what
    they could have known then but some of it aught to still be beyond us now.
    (at the very least god could have explained the difference between a ball and a circle, created a word for both,
    and made sure it was clear which one was being used.)

It doesn't.

The bible contains nothing that is remotely surprising and is entirely consistent with being written by ancient and
    primitive peoples thousands of years ago, who got many, many things utterly wrong.

Both morally, and in their understanding of what the universe consists of and how it works.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 22:06
    Oh the lulz.

Anyway, back to my point. No, in no way is that scientifically accurate.

And again, why do you keep looking to prove that which we all know is not provable?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 00:252 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The argument is pointless.

Whether or not they had separate words for circle and ball, (they did) or one that was interchangeable,
    it is clear from the context that the intended meaning was the common view of the time that the earth was
    flat, possibly had corners, either floated, or rested on pillars, was covered with a crystal dome which was
    co
    Both morally, and in their understanding of what the universe consists of and how it works.
    Nowhere in the entire Biblical text is the earth described as being flat, but you wouldn't
    know that for despite pretensions of erudition, clearly its a book you have never
    studied. This is the pure folly of the materialist attempting to rationalise the
    supernatural with feeble assertions and self certified opinions. You will never get the
    sense of these things for they are examined spiritually.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 00:27
    Oh the lulz.

Anyway, back to my point. No, in no way is that scientifically accurate.

And again, why do you keep looking to prove that which we all know is not provable?
    yes i have just demonstrated that its scientifically accurate, astoundingly so, you
    cannot state how the Biblical author just happened to stumble upon these verifiable
    details and persist with the charade, so be it.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 00:482 edits
    pure unadulterated bum, there is no contradiction anywhere, its not my fault you have
    not the artistic vision to discern between a metaphor (pillars) and a scientifically
    accurate statement, hanging the earth upon nothing (invisible forces of gravitation and
    the centrifugal force). The reason the Bible writer got these details rather accurate, ...[text shortened]... ration!! and no amount of speculative
    jive talk of probabilities will negate this simple fact.
    nothing metaphorical about it. they were a bunch of ignorant savages with conflicting views of reality.
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 00:49
    yes i have just demonstrated that its scientifically accurate, astoundingly so, you
    cannot state how the Biblical author just happened to stumble upon these verifiable
    details and persist with the charade, so be it.
    the biblical authors stumbled upon the lore and legends of other civilizations. they didn't come up with anything original.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 00:51
    the biblical authors stumbled upon the lore and legends of other civilizations. they didn't come up with anything original.
    more mere unsubstantiated opinion, full moon to that!
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 03:207 edits

Let's have you back this up.

Please quote to us a passage from any creation myth of any other ancient legendary source that discribes a universal Creator/s as PRIOR TO and totally OUTSIDE of space and time, bringing them into existence.

Ie. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1:1)

Let me be very clear about what I mean. Do not come back with a creation story that shows a creator in progress working with existing material anything. You must produce words that indicate that BEFORE time and space there was alone and by Itself or Himself or Herself or Themselves.

Search your Egyptian, Indian, Chinese, Natrive American, Myan, Babylonian, African, Hittite, Phoenician, Assyrian, Persian, Japanese, Greek, Roman etc cosmological tales, myths, legends.

Give me a QUOTATION equivalent to what Genesis 1:1 says, mainly PRIOR to time, space, matter, these all brought into being.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I expect you to produce an equivalent QUOTATION / TRANSLATION (not commentary) that a creator was absolutely prior to matter, time, and space.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am almost certain there is a place in the Holy Bible that talks about he
    circle of the earth and that is rests or hangs on nothing. I am not sure
    of the exact wording but I know it is in the Old Testament, probably
    in the Psalms, Proverbs, or Isaiah. Job also has some interesting things
    to say about science.
    I found the references I mentioned In the Holy Bible.

New King James Version (NKJV)

Isaiah 40:22

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
    And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
    Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
    And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

Job 26:7

He stretches out the north over empty space;
    He hangs the earth on nothing.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 07:08
    Originally posted by jaywill

Let's have you back this up.

Please quote to us a passage from any creation myth of any other ancient legendary source that discribes a universal Creator/s as PRIOR TO and totally OUTSIDE of space and time, ...[text shortened]... ION
    (not commentary) that a creator was absolutely prior to matter, time, and space.[/b]
    it's absurd of you to demand a single line comparison.

that being said, you have several choices for comparing with the genesis account.

zoroastrian bundahishn

http://thelaterprophets.blogspot.com/2011/10/genesis-1-and-zoroastrian-creation-myth.html

babylonian enuma elish

http://www.skeptically.org/oldtestament/id14.html
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/com_geba.htm

the bible authors had so many creation myths to choose from that they couldn't decide which ones to use so they ended up splicing two conflicting creation myths together.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/accounts.html

so yeah, if you want to hang up on one line, go right ahead. you'll convince no one but yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree