1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 21:549 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Oh dear. Well Robbie, I gave you ample chance to withdraw from this discussion but you chose to stick stubbornly to your incorrect views. I suppose then, I have no option but to shoot you down in flames.

In fact, there is a word in ancient Hebrew which translates to 'ball' or 'sphere'. You will find it used in the bible in Isiah 22:18. Now, what d better from you. I have, of course, now adjusted my expectations in this regard.
    gulp! gulp! camel camel, strain strain, gnat gnat. Indeed have you never read of the
    analogy of the special theory of relativity which described how space and objects
    behave relative to each other?, for example a trampoline gauze may be used to utilise
    space, place a heavy object such as a bowling ball in the centre and it will , 'bend ',
    space, take a much lighter object such as a marble and set it in motion and it will,
    'orbit', the larger one due to gravity and centrifugal force. Indeed, you will now state
    why this is an inaccurate portrayal. Your semantic arguments over the technical details
    of sphere, oblate spheroid or circle, amount to just that, pedantry. If you are offended
    by this then so be it, I have never wished to be popular.

As for the term at Isaiah, I produce it here,

(Isaiah 22:18) Without fail he will wrap you up tightly, like a ball for a wide land.
    There you will die, and there the chariots of your glory will be the dishonor of the
    house of your master.

One Hebrew word for “generation” is dohr, corresponding to the Aramaic dar. (Da
    4:3, 34) Dohr comes from a root verb meaning “stack in a circle” or “move around”
    (Eze 24:5; Ps 84:10) and thus has a basic underlying meaning of “circle.” The
    related word dur means “ball.” which is what we find at Isaiah, once in the entire
    Bible. Indeed it is clear that in this context it is used to describe a spacious land, to
    describe the earth as a ball from the etymology of the term, 'to stack in a circle', is
    a nonsense and is once again more arguments over semantics , of which Christians
    are warned against.

(2 Timothy 2:14) . . .Keep reminding them of these things, charging them before
    God as witness, not to fight about words, a thing of no usefulness at all because it
    overturns those listening. . .

you may be interested in the related verses which bear this out,

(Ezekiel 24:5)  Let there be a taking of the choicest sheep, and also stack the logs in
    a circle
    under it. Boil its pieces, also cook its bones in the midst of it.”’”

(Psalm 84:10) . . .For a day in your courtyards is better than a thousand
    [elsewhere]. I have chosen to stand at the threshold in the house of my God Rather
    than to move around in the tents of wickedness.

so rather than being shot down in flames, I arise like a phoenix from the ashes of
    despair, majestic and awe inspiring!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 22:442 edits
    The Hebrew word 'chugh', (Isa 40:22) translated “circle,” may also be rendered
    “sphere.” (A Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures, by B. Davidson)

Other translations, therefore, say “the globe of the earth” (Douay Version), and “the
    round earth.” (Moffatt) Thus the Bible was not influenced by the erroneous, flat-earth
    view prevalent when it was written. Clearly it was accurate.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 01:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Hebrew word 'chugh', (Isa 40:22) translated “circle,” may also be rendered
    “sphere.” (A Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures, by B. Davidson)

Other translations, therefore, say “the globe of the earth” (Douay Version), and “the
    round earth.” (Moffatt) Thus the Bible was not influenced by the erroneous, flat-earth
    view prevalent when it was written. Clearly it was accurate.
    it was influenced by sumerian culture who thought of earth as an 'egg' -- a flat dish with a dome overhead to hold the stars, moon and sun and a dome underneath to hold the underworld or sheol.

this egg was suspended in a chaotic deep water and the domes separated the waters above from the waters below to create a place of order out of chaos.

genesis reflects this flawed understanding of the universe as they copied from the sumerians.

gen 1:2 ...over the surface of the deep... moving over the surface of the waters...

gen 1:6 ...separate the waters from the waters...

gen 1:7 god made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse

then put the lights up there...

gen 1:14 ...let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years...

exactly for the same reason that the sumerian creator god put lights in heaven.

and there you have the ancient hebrew vision of earth and the universe, direct from the sumerian traditions; the same traditions oddly enough, that abraham would have been exposed to since he was allegedly from the sumerian city of ur during the 2nd dynasty.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 01:26
    the creation account again note the similarities,

In the first days when everything needed was brought into being,
    In the first days when everything needed was properly nourished,
    When bread was baked in the shrines of the land,
    And bread was tasted in the homes of the land,
    When heaven had moved away from the earth,
    And earth had sepa ...[text shortened]... ins 109)

Gods digging ditches, complaining, yeah the similarities are obvious, Neeeeext!
    ah, looks like you have already convinced yourself of the lies.

here is a link with the text of the actual 7 tablets of creation from the enuma elish.

http://www.crivoice.org/enumaelish.html

genesis in the bible is a condensed version of this creation epic. each of the 7 tablets in the enuma elish corresponds to a day of creation in the bible.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 08:51
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    it was influenced by sumerian culture who thought of earth as an 'egg' -- a flat dish with a dome overhead to hold the stars, moon and sun and a dome underneath to hold the underworld or sheol.

this egg was suspended in a chaotic deep water and the domes separated the waters above from the waters below to create a place of order out of chaos.

genesi ...[text shortened]... ve been exposed to since he was allegedly from the sumerian city of ur during the 2nd dynasty.
    the same preposterous details Alexander Hislop provided in his now notorious and
    completely erroneous book, the two Babylons when describing the ark, there is no
    resemblance, eggs, dishes? sheol?? in Genesis?? you have been watching too many
    cookery programs! But I understand this really is the best you can do, neeeeext!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 08:53
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    ah, looks like you have already convinced yourself of the lies.

here is a link with the text of the actual 7 tablets of creation from the enuma elish.

http://www.crivoice.org/enumaelish.html

genesis in the bible is a condensed version of this creation epic. each of the 7 tablets in the enuma elish corresponds to a day of creation in the bible.
    actually i have done nothing of the sort, unlike you, the sock puppet who prefers to
    take third party vendors at their word, i prefer to examine these things for myself,
    conclusion, similarities, nil!
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 18:38
    actually i have done nothing of the sort, unlike you, the sock puppet who prefers to
    take third party vendors at their word, i prefer to examine these things for myself,
    conclusion, similarities, nil!
    the similarities are there weather or not you have the capacity to understand. reality does not work on your declaration. history is against you. scholarly evidence is against you. logic and reason are against you. you are alone.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 19:121 edit
    gulp! gulp! camel camel, strain strain, gnat gnat. Indeed have you never read of the
    analogy of the special theory of relativity which described how space and objects
    behave relative to each other?, for example a trampoline gauze may be used to utilise
    space, place a heavy object such as a bowling ball in the centre and it will , 'bend ',
    sp in flames, I arise like a phoenix from the ashes of
    despair, majestic and awe inspiring!
    Yes, I'm familiar with the simplistic illustration which Einstein came up with to illustrate how gravity may result from the deformation of space by masses within it. What of it? Do you imagine that this two dimensional demonstration means that the earth is somehow 'suspended' in space? It is not.

And I fail to see the purpose of the rest of your post. Imagine a ball. See how different it is from a circle. Consider now a planet. Is the planet most like a ball or a circle? Think now...

edit - Incidentally, I'm not even slightly offended by your ad-hominems. As I said, if you're going to make the ludicrous claim that these points are 'scientifically accurate', then you really can't get away with claims of pedantry against somebody pointing out that actually they're not.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 21:522 edits
    Yes, I'm familiar with the simplistic illustration which Einstein came up with to illustrate how gravity may result from the deformation of space by masses within it. What of it? Do you imagine that this two dimensional demonstration means that the earth is somehow 'suspended' in space? It is not.

And I fail to see the purpose of the rest of your t away with claims of pedantry against somebody pointing out that actually they're not.
    If you were sitting on one of those big balls with a six foot diamameter that
    we played with in physical education class, you could say you were sitting
    on the circle of the ball. What is the difference in saying, "It is He who sits
    above the circle of the earth" as Isaiah does in chapter 40 verse 22 NKJV?
    The ball and the Earth have the same circular shape and Isaiah specified
    the shape of the earth was circular, not flat.

P.S. Don't forget to think before you respond.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 07:29
    because lets face it, seeing millions of persons having their eyeballs and entrails eaten
    up by crows and seagulls is hardly a positive scenario, is it.
    Indeed No bueno 🙁 !!

Manny
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 14:40

And I fail to see the purpose of the rest of your ...[text shortened]... t away with claims of pedantry against somebody pointing out that actually they're not.
    Good then you will appreciate how the Bible writer was perfectly accurate when he
    stated that the earth is suspended upon nothing because these invisible forces keep it
    in orbit.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:50
    Good then you will appreciate how the Bible writer was perfectly accurate when he
    stated that the earth is suspended upon nothing because these invisible forces keep it
    in orbit.
    (Job 26:7) . . . He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the
    earth upon nothing;

Erm... you really think this quote is a scientifically accurate description of the manner in which gravity dictates the earth's orbit around the sun?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:031 edit
    (Job 26:7) . . . He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the
    earth upon nothing;

Erm... you really think this quote is a scientifically accurate description of the manner in which gravity dictates the earth's orbit around the sun?
    yes its pure awesomeness! the earth suspended as if there was nothing there, in orbit
    by the invisible forces of gravity and centrifugal force as described by the ancient
    writer of Job.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:29
    yes its pure awesomeness! the earth suspended as if there was nothing there, in orbit
    by the invisible forces of gravity and centrifugal force as described by the ancient
    writer of Job.
    Dude, you be trippin'.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 18:14
    Dude, you be trippin'.
    Na me ol china cup, the Bible just 'appens to be inspired, - Theos Neustos, God
    breathed!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree