1. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 15:191 edit
    The Bible said that earth floated in space and that it is round . Science then thought that the earth sat on a large animal and that the earth was flat.

Is this True or False?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 15:40
    Originally posted by tim88
    The Bible said that earth floated in space and that it is round . Science then thought that the earth sat on a large animal and that the earth was flat.

Is this True or False?
    The first part is true (although of course the earth is not round nor does it 'float' in space). The second part sounds like hogwash to me.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 00:18

Is this True or False?
    The first part may be true, and like the previous poster said, it is neither round nor floating, but the second part, there was no science back then, only thousands of different creation myths. The Earth sitting on the back of a turtle or whatever is only one of many.

For a few of them, about 30 listed here:

http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 01:57

Is this True or False?
    the bible describes earth in various forms (sometimes contradictory, all debunked by science):

-that it's a flat dish shape resting on pillars
    -that it has corners, edges and ends
    -that if you climb sufficiently high enough mountain, you'll be able to see all the kingdoms of the world.
    -that the earth is set on foundations that can never move (unless biblegod shakes the pillars and causes earthquakes to happen)
    -that the sun moves around the earth
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 22:312 edits

Is this True or False?
    true with a caveat.

There's a verse that says God hung the earth on nothing.
    There's another verse that says He put it on pillars.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 04:22

Is this True or False?
    I am almost certain there is a place in the Holy Bible that talks about he
    circle of the earth and that is rests or hangs on nothing. I am not sure
    of the exact wording but I know it is in the Old Testament, probably
    in the Psalms, Proverbs, or Isaiah. Job also has some interesting things
    to say about science.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 11:231 edit

Is this True or False?
    actually the Bible states that the earth is circular or spherical and that it is
    suspended in space,

(Job 26:7) . . . He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the
    earth upon nothing;

(Isaiah 40:22) . . .There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth,. . .

Science states that the earth remains in its orbit in space primarily because of the
    interaction of gravity and centrifugal force. These forces, of course, are invisible.
    Therefore the earth, like other heavenly bodies, is suspended in space as if hanging
    on nothing. Thus the Bible makes a scientifically accurate statement. From Gods
    standpoint naturally the earth would appear to be circular, again a scientifically
    accurate statement.

What is of interest is that despite the fact that the earth was thought to be flat for
    hundreds of years, clearly the Bible was scientifically accurate when it made these
    assertions, hard to explain why in any terms other than it is inspired.

The Hindu belief is that the earth is held up by a huge elephant standing upon four
    sea turtles, perhaps this is the the animal to which you refer.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 11:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am almost certain there is a place in the Holy Bible that talks about he
    circle of the earth and that is rests or hangs on nothing. I am not sure
    of the exact wording but I know it is in the Old Testament, probably
    in the Psalms, Proverbs, or Isaiah. Job also has some interesting things
    to say about science.
    its a desperate Christian that doesn't know his Bible or his knight forks 😉
  9. England
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 13:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its a desperate Christian that doesn't know his Bible or his knight forks 😉
    its even more desperate for a christian not to know his knife & forks
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    its even more desperate for a christian not to know his knife & forks
    LOL, poor RJH, advisor to the pentagon and chess genius extraordinaire, yet unable to
    distinguish his knife and forks. Lord have mercy!
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 16:22
    Lol. Modern science and even my 6 year old could tell you that the Earth is not sitting on a large animal-not in this dimension anyway,hahahaha😀
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 16:37
    LOL, poor RJH, advisor to the pentagon and chess genius extraordinaire, yet unable to
    distinguish his knife and forks. Lord have mercy!
    The paradoxes abound in human nature.
    To make sense of them is going to take a while and I dont think RJ's brand of creationism is going to cut it for humanity at large. At best he should start a cult. It's really the best way to go for him,

And Rob,I got a recent Watchtower publication only to see another pic of the world being blown up on the cover with the heading "Armageddon". on the next page there is a story superimposed on a picture of several missiles heading for a major city.
    Other times you see covers of people "living in paradise" together with animals and other races in a scene of peace.
    I really think that these ultra-violent depictions of the end of the world are really negative to say the least. In my way of thinking , with our thinking we create the world, so why the grim depictions? what possible purpose could it serve other than to force people into becoming JW's, which incidentally is not working.

Our thoughts are more powerful than we have originally thought so I believe these movies of armageddon, books and publications like the JW's serve nothing more than to confuse and possibly ramp up the already neurotic and paranoid fears that we as humans living at this time on this planet have. Why not just stick to the peaceful depictions? Are we not scizophrenic as a race already, why spread further confusion? Because that is all I see it as.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 17:12
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The paradoxes abound in human nature.
    To make sense of them is going to take a while and I dont think RJ's brand of creationism is going to cut it for humanity at large. At best he should start a cult. It's really the best way to go for him,

And Rob,I got a recent Watchtower publication only to see another pic of the world being blown up on the cov ...[text shortened]... hrenic as a race already, why spread further confusion? Because that is all I see it as.
    The bible contains rather grimmer predictions than those printed in the watchtower,
    indeed, it is our view that the horrendous events at the destruction of Jerusalem
    (70CE) foreshadow events on a greater scale in the future. If you have ever read
    the Jewish Historian Josephus, you will know that women were reduced to eating
    their own children while the gulleys ran red with blood as faction fought with faction.

(Revelation 19:17-18) . . .I saw also an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out
    with a loud voice and said to all the birds that fly in midheaven: “Come here, be
    gathered together to the great evening meal of God,  that you may eat the fleshy
    parts of kings and the fleshy parts of military commanders and the fleshy parts of
    strong men and the fleshy parts of horses and of those seated upon them, and the
    fleshy parts of all, of freemen as well as of slaves and of small ones and great.”
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:52
    actually the Bible states that the earth is circular or spherical and that it is
    suspended in space,

(Job 26:7) . . . He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the
    earth upon nothing;

(Isaiah 40:22) . . .There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth,. . .

Science states that the earth remains in its orbit ...[text shortened]... ge elephant standing upon four
    sea turtles, perhaps this is the the animal to which you refer.
    ...actually the Bible states that the earth is circular or spherical and that it is suspended in space...

It doesn't say "or spherical" though, does it? It says round. Is the earth round? No. And god, the bible states very clearly, is everywhere. From such a perspective the earth would not appear round, it would appear as a slightly irregular oblate spheroid.

And it's not "hanging" or "suspended" or "floating".

Thus, the bible most emphatically does not make a "scientifically accurate statement".

I really don't understand why you keep on trying to dig up 'proof' for your faith and your scripture. Is your faith so weak?

Also, where do you get this idea of widespread belief of a flat earth? Google it up, my good man. The clever folk have known it was a ball at least since Eratosthenes' day (276 -194 BC).
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:12
    suspended in space,
    there is no word for spherical in ancient hebrew. and the bible makes many contradictory statements about where the earth hung; having covered all the angles, they were bound to get one of them close enough to being right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree