1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 07:50
    Originally posted by joelgeorge
    Trinity, with 3 persons in the Godhead, has 3 pillars of CO-EQUALITY, CO-ETERNITY, CO-EXISTENT! Is the Father, Son & the Holy Spirit coequal, coeternal & coexsistent? Can someone logically comment on this!!
    I just did comment. Why don't you add something of value instead of making sweeping unsubstanciated assertions.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 11:501 edit
    Originally posted by joelgeorge
    So in one part it says that Jesus & Father are ONE, in another part both are different! Which one is correct?? Can some one comment plz!
    ==================================
    So in one part it says that Jesus & Father are ONE, in another part both are different! Which one is correct?? Can some one comment plz!
    =====================================

The Father and the Son are distinct but not separate.

Which is it - the Word was with God or the Word was God ?( See John 1:1).

Why can we not simply believe everything the Bible says even though our limited minds have difficulty reconciling what is said in different places?

We are called to believe. We are not called to be able to always explain.

Why not say Amen to whatever the word of God tells us and seek to experience this wonderful and mysterious Triune God?

The way of blessing in this matter is to believe and say Amen, and go on to enjoy this mysterious God.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 12:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The way of blessing in this matter is to believe and say Amen, and go on to enjoy this mysterious God.
    But one cannot believe what one cannot understand, and it is foolishness to believe blindly a wrong understanding that you know could very well be wrong.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 13:103 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But one cannot believe what one cannot understand, and it is foolishness to believe blindly a wrong understanding that you know could very well be wrong.
    ========================
    But one cannot believe what one cannot understand
    =========================

Yes one can. In fact there are many things which we only partially understand which we do believe.

Don't ask me for examples because I don't particularly want to see you play word games and explain how you do understand things which you really do not fully understand, like magnetism, gravity, time, sexual reproduction, thinking, the mind, the emotions, the brain.

Many things you do not have a full comprehension of yet you experience and enjoy. And I am not interested in any semantic tricks attempting to put them in another catagory.

So some of us experience and enjoy the Triune God - the Trinity, yet we are not able to fully comprehend or explain some things about the Triune God in a complete way. We cannot reconcile some statements in the Bible in a full way. But we believe them.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 13:202 edits
    Say you are on a desert island starving to death. Some one brings you a sandwich. If you are foolish you will say "I cannot eat this sandwich because I do not understand it."

You may demand that the person also bring you a chemical description of everything that is in that sandwich or you will not eat it. So he brings you a two volume manual explaining all the chemicals in that sandwich. But still you say " I cannot yet eat this sandwich because there are still many things which I do not understand about it. Bring me more information on the atoms and the electrons and protons that make up this sandwich. It still does not make sense and I cannot eat."

This could go on. But eventually you will starve. You will starve because in your pride you will not satisfy your hunger until you have a complete and total understanding of the food.

We can come to Christ in our spiritual hunger. We can quench our spiritual thirst and satisfy our spiritual hunger for life in Christ. We may have an adaquate understanding for participation. No one can say that the Bible explains nothing about God. But no one has to wait until there is no mystery at all. Even Paul confessed that the mystery of godliness was great. Yet he enjoyed God and led the way to show men and women how to enjoy God.

It is simply pride which says one cannot believe what one cannot understand. It sounds logical. But underneath, this is just an excuse to rid oneself of receiving God and God's salvation.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 16:10
    Say you are on a desert island starving to death. Some one brings you a sandwich. If you are foolish you will say "I cannot eat this sandwich because I do not understand it."

You may demand that the person also bring you a chemical description of everything that is in that sandwich or you will not eat it.

This sort of hyperbole is not helpful. The wise might say "What kind of sandwich is it?" and it does not require a chemical description to answer succinctly and correctly.

You will starve because in your pride you will not satisfy your hunger until you have a complete and total understanding of the food.

This is the arrogance of Christianity. They will approach a starving Hindu on a desert island with a hamburger, wax incredulous that s/he would bother to inquire as to the content of the food, then damn them to a starvation death because s/he did not eat as the Christian did. Never would it occur to the Christian that it was their fault in their pride and arrogance.

A most appropriate parable, jaywill.
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 16:202 edits

You may demand that the person also bring you a chemical description of everything that is in that sandwich or you will not eat it. So he brings you a two volume manual explaining But underneath, this is just an excuse to rid oneself of receiving God and God's salvation.
    ….Say you are on a desert island starving to death. Some one brings you a sandwich. If you are foolish you will say "I cannot eat this sandwich because I do not understand it."
    .…

1, a sandwich is not an abstract logical proposition that requires to be understood;
    It is a physical food item that is part of the material world and to eat it you don’t need to understand it; you just merely to place a bite of it at a time in your mouth and then with each bite in turn, chew it up and then swallow it.

2, it is not part of any scientific principle nor any theist principle ( that I am aware of ) nor any atheist principle that if you don’t understand something then you shouldn’t use it. It obviously wouldn’t be against any of my principles to make use of something I don’t understand.
    Probably most ( if not all ) physicists don’t really understand the strangeness of quantum mechanics and yet this doesn’t stop them using quantum mechanics to design semiconductors etc.

….It is simply pride which says one cannot believe what one cannot understand.
    .…

Is this why you don’t believe any scientific hypothesis that is in conflict with your religious beliefs such as evolution etc?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 17:02
    .. Why not say [b]Amen to whatever the word of God tells us and seek to experience this wonderful and mysterious Triune God?....[/b]
    LOL ... youre blind as a bat.
    Read over that sentence slowly and see if your brainwashed mind can see whats so funny.

Say Amen to whatever the word of God tells us. ...
    But the word of God says NOTHING about "..mysterious Triune God".
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 17:24
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Read over that sentence slowly and see if your brainwashed mind can see whats so funny.

Bit by bit this thread is going aphrodisiac😵
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 18:091 edit

===============================

Don't hold your breath waiting for me to take back what I wrote.

I stand by it. I stand by it because of experience, mine and that of many believers down through the centries.

But to give you a little clue, by saying AMEN to whatever the Bible says, I very much imply reading the word of God PRAYERFULLY.

So ... our reading of the Bible and our simultaneouse communing and fellowship with God absolutely go HAND in HAND.

Saying AMEN to the passages of the Bible entails PRAYING over and with the Bible.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:09
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Bit by bit this thread is going aphrodisiac😵
    🙂
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:10
    [b]===============================

Don't hold your breath w ...[text shortened]... HAND.

Saying AMEN to the passages of the Bible entails PRAYING over and with the Bible.[/b]
    You are saying Amen to some man-made doctrine...some doctrine fabricated by believers through the centuries. Suit yourself.

I rather say Amen to what God actually said. The angel of God spoke to Mary and said:

Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called THE SON OF GOD.

CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD.

AMEN TO THAT !!.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:21
    Yes one can. In fact there are many things which we only partially understand which we do believe.

Don't ask me for examples because I don't particularly want to see you play word games and explain how you do understand things which you really do not fully understand, like magnetism, gravity, time, sexual reproduction, thinking, the mind, the emotions, the brain.
    I agree with most of what you have said in your post.
    However, I find a tendency to claim understanding beyond what is reasonable. For example if you do not understand how the various statements in the Bible relating to the trinity can be compatible with each other then it is clear that there is some misunderstanding of at least some of them. So it is more reasonable to instead of believing blindly in the misunderstanding to simply withhold judgment.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:23
    You are saying Amen to some man-made doctrine...some doctrine fabricated by believers through the centuries. Suit yourself.

I rather say Amen to what God actually said. The angel of God spoke to Mary and said:

Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called THE SON OF GOD.
    And how do you know that was not fabricated by believers? I still cant fathom why people believe without question every word in the Bible without even the most basic understanding of what the Bible is and where it comes from.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    However, I find a tendency to claim understanding beyond what is reasonable. For example if you do not understand how the various statements in the Bible relating to the trinity can be compatible with each other then it is clear that there is some misunderstanding of at least some of them. So it is mo ...[text shortened]... reasonable to instead of believing blindly in the misunderstanding to simply withhold judgment.
    ===================================
    However, I find a tendency to claim understanding beyond what is reasonable. For example if you do not understand how the various statements in the Bible relating to the trinity can be compatible with each other then it is clear that there is some misunderstanding of at least some of them. So it is more reasonable to instead of believing blindly in the misunderstanding to simply withhold judgment.
    =========================================

I do understand somewhat how various statments about the Father-Son-Holy Spirit can be compatible.

God is still rather mysterious. Eternal life is mysterious. A life that always was and never had a beginning is rather mysterious. Resurrection from the dead is also rather mysterious. Regeneration, Transformation, santification, confomration, glorification, deification are also rather mysterious processes.

Incarnation is mysterious. Indwelling and union are very mysterious. But we can enjoy them and experience them.

God is Father and Son and Holy Spirit. We can enjoy this reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree