1. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:53
    If some religion's views differ or are opposite than how can both be right it's either one or the other. Therefore NOT all religions are the same.
  2. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 22:53
    Originally posted by daniel58
    If some religion's views differ or are opposite than how can both be right it's either one or the other. Therefore NOT all religions are the same.
    Well, they can all be right for each different person. They can also all be wrong. Or, yes, one could be right.

But what Herodotus was pointing out is the futility of dishonoring another person's customs/values/religion simply because you were born into different ways of thinking.

Intellectual debate, and the use of reason in the quest to find whatever truth one can is to be highly prized. (Not the use of superficial reason to attempt to prove a pre-prepared argument.)

I was reffering to the personal attacks and generalised, moronic statements that have pervaded particularly this thread, and also most other spirituality threads here at our little community. 🙂
  3. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 22:59
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You see a green apple and I see a red apple, still we are both right when we claim to see an apple.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 00:141 edit
    Originally posted by HumeA
    Well, they can all be right for each different person. They can also all be wrong. Or, yes, one could be right.

But what Herodotus was pointing out is the futility of dishonoring another person's customs/values/religion simply because you were born into different ways of thinking.

Intellectual debate, and the use of reason in the quest to find wh ...[text shortened]... icularly this thread, and also most other spirituality threads here at our little community. 🙂
    I resonate with your statement. This forum can often be counter-productive. "sigh*"
    Doesn't mean we shouldn't try though...
    Seems like there are people living on this planet that are a thousand years apart.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 00:44
    Originally posted by HumeA
    Please feel free to ignore me and carry on your bickering, but I do find it slightly disturbing (although mainly amusing) that hundreds of years before the formation of two of the three Judeo-centric religions, Herodotus was able to understand that every man thinks his own culture and religion are the best. Further than that, he saw that it is not only futile, but also petty to attack another man's ancestral values, and yet here you all are.

Enjoy.
    Stop it. You're getting in the way of our irrational argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree