1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 May '17 02:401 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] There is a condition in that verse which sonship conveniently leaves out.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not conveniently leave it out. I simply have not gotten to it yet.

The passage means
    No condemnation to those Christians who walk after the spirit.

...[text shortened]... oo elementary and milk-ish for most Christians ? I'll never graduate from this splendid chapter.[/b]
    I had always thought of sin as like a lustful craving for something, like a drug addict would
    have for their drug of choice, or some food that the body is yearning for. Having sin
    described this way makes me think what you said has merit, sin desires to have, as if it is
    a force all to itself that pushes and pulls us to suit its own desires.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 03:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I had always thought of sin as like a lustful craving for something, like a drug addict would
    have for their drug of choice, or some food that the body is yearning for. Having sin
    described this way makes me think what you said has merit, sin desires to have, as if it is
    If this is your definition of "sin", then I can't recall when I last "sinned". What's the big deal? If your definition of "sin" applies, surely most balanced happy people don't "sin", right? What's so hard about not "sinning"?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 May '17 06:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    If this is your definition of "sin", then I can't recall when I last "sinned". What's the big deal? If your definition of "sin" applies, surely most balanced happy people don't "sin", right? What's so hard about not "sinning"?
    James 4:17

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 06:43
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    James 4:17

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.
    Give me a scenario?
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 May '17 06:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Give me a scenario?
    Can't you think for yourself? There are millions of possible scenarios.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 06:501 edit
    Can't you think for yourself? There are millions of possible scenarios.
    I am asking you to think for yourself and offer an example of the kind of thing you mean. You need, then, to link it to what KellyJay said in the post I was replying to. Bear in mind, I started with "If this is your definition of "sin", then I can't recall when I last "sinned".
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 May '17 07:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am asking you to think for yourself and offer an example of the kind of thing you mean. You need, then, to link it to what KellyJay said in the post I was replying to. Bear in mind, I started with "If this is your definition of "sin", then I can't recall when I last "sinned".
    The verse is self evident. I merely posted it to add it to KellyJays definition of sin. I don't think it is humanly possible to always to what you know to be the right thing because of the weakness of the flesh and if we did we would be sinless but we are not.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 07:27
    The verse is self evident. I merely posted it to add it to KellyJays definition of sin. I don't think it is humanly possible to always to what you know to be the right thing because of the weakness of the flesh and if we did we would be sinless but we are not.
    If you don't think it is humanly possible to always do what you know to be the right thing, then why are you talking about it?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 07:42
    Having sin described this way makes me think what you said has merit, sin desires to have, as if it is a force all to itself that pushes and pulls us to suit its own desires.
    I think we, each of us, should take full personal responsibility for the bad things we do rather than shift responsibility to some kind of third party like the "evil parasitic living thing" that sonship mentioned. I think the Christian prism - in this regard - is one of cop out and convenience: [1] You can blame your "sins" on a specific supernatural being, [2] you can declare yourself "forgiven" if you believe in different supernatural being, and [3] you can continue "sinning" because you have already been "forgiven" and your "salvation" has been promised to you as a "gift".
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 May '17 08:35
    Does your rudeness of ignoring people here count as sinful in your opinion?
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 May '17 08:363 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you don't think it is humanly possible to always do what you know to be the right thing, then why are you talking about it?
    Because that in my mind means we are all sinful. Do you believe it is always humanly possible to do the right thing?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 08:55
    Do you believe it is always humanly possible to do the right thing?
    Give me some examples of what you mean? Give me an example of something barely humanly possible, but possible nevertheless, and then me an example of something - that is "the right thing" - humanly impossible.
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 May '17 09:422 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Give me some examples of what you mean? Give me an example of something barely humanly possible, but possible nevertheless, and then me an example of something - that is "the right thing" - humanly impossible.
    Ok lets make it a simple one, have you always obeyed your conscience without fail? If you are honest you should say no. Because I don't think anyone apart from Jesus has. Why? Because we are all sinful.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 09:45
    Ok lets make it a simple one, have you always obeyed your conscience without fail? If you are honest you should say no. Because I don't think anyone has. Why? Because we are all sinful.
    I'd prefer you to answer my request, which sought clarification before I answered your question, which I will.

You asked me "Do you believe it is always humanly possible to do the right thing?

So I am asking you to give me an example of something barely humanly possible, but possible nevertheless, and then to give me an example of something - that is "the right thing" - but humanly impossible.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '17 09:47
    Ok lets make it a simple one, have you always obeyed your conscience without fail? If you are honest you should say no. Because I don't think anyone apart from Jesus has. Why? Because we are all sinful.
    So you believe it is "sinful" - i.e. to be disobedient towards a supernatural being - to find it impossible to do something that is not humanly possible? Give me a reason why I should take such a proposition seriously.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree