1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:092 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. You misread my imagery. You have removed your y-fronts and cling to them with your brass balls showing.
    Lol, its really funny, I suppose you could interpret it that way, although i have never thought of myself as having a brass can or a pair of brass balls. More like Icarus, who in reaching out for lofty ideals, self induced a wedgie.
  2. St. Peter's
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:12
    Originally posted by lausey
    Oh yes, that settles it then. You have convinced me. I am now going to give up drinking and become veggie. 🙂
    Let's not be too hasty. A juicy burger, chips and a pint is a meal fit for a king, and capable of inducing spiritual transcendance.😏
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i have never thought of myself as having a brass can or a pair of brass balls.
    Yep. The way you ride things out, acting out of vanity, brushing aside the words you typed and the fact that people read them. It takes brass balls.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:27
    i remember it well, as I have stated, it was simply a matter of discernment, for as you failed to provide even a semblance of evidence to the contrary, i.e. that it would invigorate, instill confidence in, up-build my faith I desisted, then what ensued was a persistent and sustained attempt to coerce me to read the volume, with sincere offers i haste ...[text shortened]... wins own book as a compromise, it was to no avail, the hounds were insatiable and here we are 🙂
    Out of interest, what book are you refusing to read?

On the Origin of Species is very good but also tedious and repetitive in the shear amount of evidence he presents to support each point. The 18th century Victorian language doesn't help either. I really struggled from about 2/3 of the way through but the last chapter, wraps it all up nicely.

I am just wondering whether this other book you were asked to read may have been a better / clearer one.

Still, you can't beat the original. Persevere with it.

--- Penguin.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:321 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yep. The way you ride things out, acting out of vanity, brushing aside the words you typed and the fact that people read them. It takes brass balls.
    Like Farmer Michael Hayes!
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:32
    Originally posted by Penguin

On the Origin of Species is very good but also tedious and repetitive in the shear amount of evidence he presents to support each point. The 18th century Victorian language doesn't help either. I really struggled from about 2/3 of the way through but the last chapter, wraps it all up nicely.

I am jus ...[text shortened]... etter / clearer one.

--- Penguin.
    It was me who offered to send Rob a book on evolution. It is Jerry Coyne's Why evolution is true.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:38
    Originally posted by Penguin

I am jus ...[text shortened]... etter / clearer one.

--- Penguin.
    It states on the back cover, written for the general reader, in a style that combines the rigour of science with the subtlety of literature! On the cover is a picture by Rousseau, the Monkeys. I cannot recall which book Noobster wanted to send me, i dont think he stated, if he did, i missed it. I must admit that he was quite sincere despite the fact that I do try his patience from time to time.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:412 edits
    i remember it well, as I have stated, it was simply a matter of discernment, for as you failed to provide even a semblance of evidence to the contrary, i.e. that it would invigorate, instill confidence in, up-build my faith I desisted, then what ensued was a persistent and sustained attempt to coerce me to read the volume, with sincere offers i haste ...[text shortened]... wins own book as a compromise, it was to no avail, the hounds were insatiable and here we are 🙂
    The point of you reading the book would be that in the future we could have, for once, an informed debate on the topic instead of you repeating the same old creationist canards. At the moment your views on evolution are based purely on ignorance, now you can huff and puff all you like but that is the truth.

You are correct i was persistent in my attempts to get you to read the book, i was truely amazed at why a grown man would refuse to read something. It's also amusing to watch you tie yourself up in knots with your bizarre and increasingly ludicrous reasonings for not wishing to read a book someone is willing to send you for free.

As for accusations of narrow mindedness, it was you who said -

You may term me close minded, ignorant, or whatever else adjectives that spring to mind, i will never deny any of them.

As for accusations of fear, i stated that the reason you had never read any books on evolution was becuase you were frightened before the 'book saga' began, to which you huffed and puffed like you normally do, then came the revelation which i posted above. I accused you of fear before the debate began, it turns out i was right.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:48
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The point of you reading the book would be that in the future we could have, for once, an informed debate on the topic instead of you repeating the same old creationist canards. At the moment your views on evolution are based purely on ignorance, now you can huff and puff all you like but that is the truth.

You are correct i was persistent in my atte ...[text shortened]... hich i posted above. I accused you of fear before the debate began, it turns out i was right.
    So you wanted me to read, that unbiased, purely objective volume, that ABC of pure materialism, Why evolution is true. Thankyou, but i choose life!
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:49
    So you wanted me to read, that unbiased, purely objective volume, that ABC of pure materialism, Why evolution is true. Thankyou, but i choose life!
    Why don't you read it and then tell me why evolution isn't true?!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:55
    Why don't you read it and then tell me why evolution isn't true?!
    why would i want to tell you that evolution is not true? if you believe it, its a reality to you. To me its a non reality for reasons that i have consistently stated.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 13:091 edit
    why would i want to tell you that evolution is not true? if you believe it, its a reality to you. To me its a non reality for reasons that i have consistently stated.
    Why!? to crush the frail and distorted views of reality to which we imbecilic materialists cling, and allow your supposed maker to harvest the fruits which follow as we former atheists flock to your religion in droves. Moreover you would certainly try to show our views to be false were you in your comfort zone.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 13:16
    Because according to you the theory of evolution is the worst thing to have ever happenned to mankind, or thereabouts. It's pure materialism, it denies God's creation etc etc.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 13:301 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Why!? to crush the frail and distorted views of reality to which we imbecilic materialists cling, and allow your supposed maker to harvest the fruits which follow as we former atheists flock to your religion in droves. Moreover you would certainly try to show our views to be false were you in your comfort zone.
    First of all, atheists are not imbeciles, well, not mostly, although i do appreciate your funky tone, secondly, if you are happy with your materialism and what it offers to you in the way of happiness, purposefulness and contentment then you will hardly be induced to leave it for something else. This is the greatest mistake of the theist, trying to convince those who are opposed to or ill inclined towards their religion that it really is good, for you need to be searching for truth, if you are convinced you have found it then its a futile act. I think i have consistently stated that all one can state with any certainty (which i learned from an Atheist i hasten to add), is what appears to us to be true, after an evaluation with the mind. Even the very same scientific data may be interpreted differently, as is the case when a reappraisal is made. I repeat it again, if you are convinced that materialism will make you happy then adopt it, although i see hordes of evidence to the contrary.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 13:32
    Because according to you the theory of evolution is the worst thing to have ever happenned to mankind, or thereabouts. It's pure materialism, it denies God's creation etc etc.
    yes that is true, i do think its insidious (with reason and reference i hasten to add) but there is no merit it me trying to convince you of its truthfulness or otherwise, all i can really do is point out the ill effects of its adoption, which is something quite different.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree